Would you trade an SG for a Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SlideGeetar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SlideGeetar

SlideGeetar Supporting Member

I know this is a difficult question for someone else to answer for me, but can anyone please add their 2 cents and help me decide?

I have a 2004 Gibson SG Special (faded cherry finish) with GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge (humbucker sized P90 pickups). The only upgrade other than the pickups is a Tonepros bridge. It's a great guitar and the only complaint I have is that the front strap button (as with all SG's) is really in a weird spot - oh and it's neck heavy (headstock plummets toward the ground when you take your hands off the axe).

It has it's fair share of buckle rash and wear and tear. No major damage, just light/normal usage. I bought the guitar used, and it was like this when I got it. The dings look worse than they are because of the thin/faded finish, but I really love that type of finish. I feel like it lets the guitar breath and resonate rather than stifle it with a thick glossy paintjob.

So my question is this - do you think it's wise for me to sell or trade it for a Mexican (or American if possible) Fender Standard Stratocaster? If I trade, there are many possible scenerios - but if I sell it I can only probably get $500-$550 max (including the hard shell case), which would give me just enough money to buy a new Fender Strat - or I can shop around for the right used one but since I only have one guitar, that would make me guitarless for a bit - which is not an ideal scenerio.

In short - is this a bonehead move? What differences should I expect if I make the switch from SG to Strat that I might be overlooking?

I play through a 1972 Fender Musicmaster amp and I usually use a DAM Red Rooster clone for dirt, or some type of germanium fuzz (I have a bunch). I also use Holy Grail for reverb and EQD Disaster Transport Jr for delay, and I'm in the process of building a Vox V846 wah clone.

Thanks in advance for humoring me and answering this with minimal smartassedness. I've been on this Jimi kick for a bit now and want to make sure I'm not making a really stupid move by trying to ditch this SG. Like I said, I do really like the finish of the SG and the way it plays but I guess I'm just bored with the sound?

2. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

It is a rather reasonable trade if you ask me. Your styles and tastes change over the years, nothing wrong with switching out guitars now and again.

On the flip side, I traded a very nice Music Man Albert Lee for a '61 Reissue SG (+ a little cash on my end). I think it was a very good trade.

3. SlideGeetar

Right on. I'm just being a wuss I guess. I just need to do the damn thing. I've had a bunch of guitars over the years (haven't we all). So I guess that's how it goes. My main concern is whether or not I'll really miss the thin/worn/faded finish on the SG. Also scared I might miss the mahogony tonewood when I start playing a maple/alder Stratocaster... but again - I know the answer. The answer is for me to go and play some Strats and decide for myself. I just wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of you fine folks her at TGP because this place is pretty much the ultimate resource. Thanks again.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have SGs and Strats. When I go to a gig, the Strats almost always stay home, but that's my preference. Nobody here can tell you which you'll prefer.

5. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

6. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

7. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

Only if you don't like the shape of the neck on the SG or the tone. If your hand fits the carve nicely you'll eventually regret trading it.
    In other words, if you can honestly say "I just can't play this thing" then do it.

8. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I understand why you are thinking about a trade. I love SGs, but can't live with the strap position or the neck dive. So, from where you are, a Strat will solve some problems. I would suggest you look for an HSS Strat, so you can still get some SG-type tones from the bridge position. I would also suggest you look for a Strat with a rosewood fretboard, again to minimalize the transition from the SG. If you don't like the trem on the Strat, you can always block it. But personally, I find the Strat a somewhat short leap from an SG, and a much more ergonomic guitar. If you're careful about the Strat you trade for, you'll probably be glad you traded.

9. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade for a Strat, no way -- but I'd also never own an SG with neck dive. :dunno

10. SlideGeetar

Good to see some more responses! And I have some good news, I was able to find the Strat I'm looking for at a really great price. A local seller has a MIM up for sale at a very low price - exactly the color I want too. So I can have both!! That's obviously the best possible scenerio. Then I can take my time and decide which one to keep and sell the other off. At the price I can get the Strat for, I certainly won't lose any money if I decide not to keep it.

Another factor in this is that I want a vibrato on my guitar. I have been looking at Bigsbys for my SG for a long time now but always hesitate to pull the trigger and pay for the proper install. Now I can grab this Stratocaster and have a trem (vibrato) to mess with. More guitars = more fun, right?

11. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

12. cnardone

cnardone Member

As said above, you need to make that decision. But, I've eventually sold every Strat I've owned. Something just doesn't jive for me. Now, if you were talking about trading out for a Tele or LP Jr., that would be a different story. Something a little bit hot in the bridge to approach the P90 in the SG. mmmmm, yummy.

cmn

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I put a Bigsby on mine using a Virbamate. You can do it yourself easily. The whole thing, including restringing and a basic set up took about an hour. No drilling or permanent mods of any kind are done to the guitar.

Both is definitely better than one of the other.

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Trade a good SG for a Strat - NO way :bonk
    I own both - prefer my SG thanks

15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

for me its more about single coils vs humbuckers...imo singles will always loose that battle...

I have an MIA Fender Strat and an epi SG with updated pups and Id rather play my epi any day of the week

16. jpervin

jpervin Member

Yeah, I'd swap that SG for a Tele any day!

17. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

looked at a stetsbar for your sg? No modification and installs and uninstalls really quick. Also, IMO, can sound a bit like a bigsby.

18. SlideGeetar

Well it's not exactly as simple as single coils versus humbuckers in this case because my SG has P90 pickups. I'm not a humbucker guy - at least I haven't found the right ones yet I guess? I like real trebley Creedence type tones - did Fogerty use buckers for those?

Anyhow, I just want to say that Strats get a bad rap. And I totally understand. My very first guitar was a Squier Strat. That was 15 years ago. I loved that thing to death and played the sh1t out of it. But once I got knowledgable enough to know what else was out there, I never ever wanted another Stratocaster. I've basically written them off, until now. Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour, ... those guys didn't seem to have too tough a time making a Strat sound tasty, right? I'm ready to give them another chance. My ears and skills have come a long way in the past 15 years. I'm much better at dialing things in and modifying things, and I'm a little bit better at playing too ;-)

19. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I sold my faded SG to buy a USA strat. Never looked back. (But i still gas for a LP)

20. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Check out MIJ Fender strats