• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Would You Treat Yourself with a $400 Delay Pedal?

Hey guys,

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:
Cheers!

LaXu

When compared to digital modelers pedals often don't make sense on paper if you compare cost and features. My current pedalboard can do a fraction of what my Line6 Helix Floor could do. My pedalboard is more expensive than the Helix and it is also larger, with less convenient control over everything.

Digital multifx units are great at replacing the staple stuff. If you are using say something like a Tube Screamer, Boss delay and whatnot then a HX Stomp will have no problem replicating that and offering more on top.

Where it gets trickier is when you venture beyond classics, staple pedals etc. A Helix Stomp can do a pretty good analog delay, but it might not be the exact flavor of analog delay that you love in the Clockwork. Same for many other effects. Multifx units need to do a whole lot of stuff so often they can't be the absolute best version of every effect compared to a single pedal that does just one thing very well and the developer of that pedal has had the time to focus on that very specific thing.

When evaluating cost you need to consider if you want this particular flavor of effect, with its control set, or if you want something that does a whole lot more in one box but might not do the exact thing that you loved in the single effect box.

Liko

Hey guys,

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:
Cheers!
$400 just for tape delay? That's Strymon Timeline territory. I could buy the Collider for less and get a really good multi-reverb in the bargain. The Belle Epoch Deluxe is $50 cheaper, with more control over warble/tape age. I'm sure someone would buy it, I'm just not so much of a tape echo connoisseur that I need a $400 unit that isn't an actual tape delay (for a couple hundred bucks more you can get a T-Rex Replicator or a Gurus EchoSex 2 and have a real tape loop unit).

JDthaddeus

There are no answers, only better questions
Get whatever inspires you to PLAY!

Purchase it carefully and if you don't like it, sell it and use that $400 again for another awesome pedal. Rinse, repeat.

My experience: I started with a bunch of cheap pedals, then ended up selling everything for like 4 really good expensive pedals. I'm much happier with a few $400 pedals than with a couple dozen $100 pedals.

Meriphew

I have several delays pedals that are in that price range. They all sound great, and have a lot of great features. If the sound is head and shoulders above other analog delays, then yes I’d pay that - but for that kind of money you can get a CBA Tonal Recall RKM, which has a ton of features plus sounds incredibly good.

pickleweed

volantes are 400
tonal recalls are 400 - 500
BED's are 360
timelines are 450
the Suhr whatever is 550

seems like that price point is getting standardized. I have a few that hit pretty high dollars, and honestly, once the money is gone and youre left with a pedal you love for the next decade, it becomes worth it. you forget about the cash at some point.

JDthaddeus

There are no answers, only better questions
For example: The Strymon Deco tape delay is the best pedal I've owned. If I could only have one pedal, it would be the Deco because it sounds amazing all by itself. So, yes, treating yourself one $400 pedal can totally be worth it.

dazco

If i were the edge, sure. But even tho i am a delay on all the time guy, I couldn't care less about the delay quality. My one and only concern would be how it treats the dry signal. As long as it stays true i don't care if it's a $20 delay. IMO unless you use heaps of delay like the edge it doesn't matter, especially in a band mix. For me at least delay quilty is a non issue. Hell, they even degrade the repeats of most higher end ones on purpose to mimic old take and analog repeats. So no, i wouldn't pay more then whatever it costs to get one that retains the dry signal's intergrity. And i'm sure you can get one in the $50 range like that. In a band mix u have to use enough to sound like your in outer space before you can even hear the repeats. Otherwise they tend to just keep your sound from sounding dry. I can't even hear my delay in a band mix, but i certainly hear when i turn it off. So yeah, if i were the edge MAYBE i'd spend a lot but only for control features.

onwingsoflead

Treat Yoself!

The Clockwork is a pretty freaking great DMM type delay. Keep your eyes open though. I found a used one for a friend the other day for $270 shipped.

Honestly though, depends. How crucial is delay to your sound? For me a few years ago I wouldn't think twice. I'd just grab it. Nowadays I'm just fine with ye olde Timefactor. But I'm tending to use less delay and more reverb.

Oinkus

Out of my price range by a lot. I am not the target consumer for this sort of pedal though. Plenty of people will pay $400 for a good delay.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
If you have the cash to spend and you like the sound of it, then yes. You don’t need validation to buy what you like or what gives you the sound you want.
As others have pointed out though, it’s not a tape style delay, it’s analog, specifically a Deluxe Memory Man style delay. It is lovely sounding though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom