Would You Treat Yourself with a $400 Delay Pedal?

hallissyc

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:

Cheers!

I’ve owned the following digital/multi-fx pedals/solutions:
Helix Floor and Powercab 112+
HX Stomp (twice)
GT1000 Core
Boss Katana
Plug-ins

The Strymon Timeline is the most inspiring pedal I’ve ever owned. It destroys any of the stuff I listed above (all sold or returned).

I think, maybe, an HX Stomp would be a good “final piece” of a puzzle, but I’d start off with things you absolutely like first and then add something like that.

I also recently fell into the trap of looking at this stuff as a pure money move as well and it’s not a good way of looking at it. Like others have said, once the money is spent you end up forgetting about it and move on. A $600 HX Stomp is $600 for a reason; it does a lot pretty well, but that $400 delay pedal is going to do delay REALLY WELL.

I’d get the pedal and forget about a Stomp (for now).

I already have am HX Stomp XL and I love that thing to pieces. In my opinion, it's the best piece of gear manufactured in the last decade.
No
I would buy the Eventide Space pedal, $500.00
Because digital Hi Fi delay is much lower noise, USB update-able, and blows away studio effects units costing quite a bit more.
Or I might even buy one of the more upscale Eventide pedals...

fatztreeboy

yes..... good question for me because i used a boss dd3, happily, for years..... then bought a 300$ Nemisis Delay ( source audio)...... it has alot of quirky cool stuff along w/ a great modulation quivering tailspin thingy u can use ( or not)....... what really says yes is the quality n pure dynamic digi delay function..... it is so much more crisp, more whatever u want it to be..... it does all the stereo two amps spitter functions, is buffered for long wires...... it also has volume and mix... so it is a boost also....... this one is 300...... definitly worth it is u like delay :)

next up for me is the 500$ model.... harmonizer h9 :)

Terry Hoffman

Hey guys,

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:

Cheers!

Nope.

What ever inspires you is in my opinion worth it. I’ve spent that on delay pedals before and likely will again. Ebbe und flut of being a gear head.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
No I am not Edge but if you have the money and feel it will help you get where you need to go musically go for it.

TD_Madden

KotWF
Don't really use much delay (although I do have an older Ibanez AD pedal and a big-box EH DMM). Perfectly happy with my J. Rockett "Boing" reverb pedal instead. AND I don't have to lean-down to adjust it; easily done with my foot.

Not a studio guy, though, just a hobbyist.

Sherman

Silver Supporting Member
At one point I owned a toneczar echoczar and it was pricey. I loved it but I couldn’t get comfortable with leaving it on my board when I did play out.

TRE

Well, in response to the question: No. I don't use or need that kind of delay in my rig, and I've never spent that kind of money for a single effects pedal, just as a matter of practice. But that's me.

ExpatZ

I have done so.
I have not one but two delays that cost me more than $400 and they are glorious things.
Both are Free The Tone pedals and they are master tone shaping tools.
If you need something like these then the yes yes and yes again.
If however you are happy with a Boss DD-500 save yourself some cash and be happier.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom