Would You Treat Yourself with a $400 Delay Pedal?

Maguchi

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?
$400 just for tape delay? That's Strymon Timeline territory. I could buy the Collider for less and get a really good multi-reverb in the bargain. The Belle Epoch Deluxe is $50 cheaper, with more control over warble/tape age. I'm sure someone would buy it, I'm just not so much of a tape echo connoisseur that I need a $400 unit that isn't an actual tape delay (for a couple hundred bucks more you can get a T-Rex Replicator or a Gurus EchoSex 2 and have a real tape loop unit).
Get whatever inspires you to PLAY!

Purchase it carefully and if you don't like it, sell it and use that $400 again for another awesome pedal. Rinse, repeat.

My experience: I started with a bunch of cheap pedals, then ended up selling everything for like 4 really good expensive pedals. I'm much happier with a few $400 pedals than with a couple dozen $100 pedals.
Got one a these T-Rex Replicator Tape Echos new about 6 months ago. I've been constantly playing it even on gigs on a pedal board. I love the sound of it. It just has a character that's fuller and more three dimensional than analog and digital delay pedals I've tried. Been using the Ibañez AD-9 before getting this one. The T-Rex is a little more than $400, think it was like $529 and worth every penny. Came with a coupla patch cables and 2 tape cartridges and I bought a coupla replacement tape cartridges just in case for like $29. Contrary to what I have heard they're not hard to tweak and adjust. If a pedo makes you want to play non-stop it's worth the $400 and even more.

Last edited:

Pete Dabell

My Boss DD 500 does everything I`d ever want out of a delay pedal? Although I have been using my Helix pretty exclusively since I bought it, before then the Boss was doing everything any delay I`ve had before could do. ( And I`ve had a lot over the years! including a Deluxe memory man ) I think it`s very high sampling and bit rate has something to do with it? It certainly sounds very natural - far better than any of the rack digital effects I`ve used over the years for recording! But if you want to spend the money on a one trick pony with limited delay time - go for it!

miklisdan

I have owned a few awesome pedals over the years and oist on a few dogs. I've gotten to the point where a nice multi unit with several good tones is easier than the hunt for a great tone via a pedalboard and they still sound great. However, great pedals ARE special. Buy it and enjoy.

dangtr

Hey guys,

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:

Cheers!

Just get it!

daryl1gtr

Hey guys,

Cheers!

I bought the timeline delay pedal for that price and I feel it's well worth it!

I guess whstever works. At $400, it would have to be outa sight. The most I ever spent on a pedal was $215 on a TC Helicon VoiceTone. Playing solo, I needed a decent vocal harmonizer. Otherwise, the most I ever spent on a pedal was about $50. That was for a Dyna Comp. Most have run less, some new, some garage sale. I never had that kind of bucks to lay down, putting 3 kids through college when working night after night. But then those were times when MXR, Vox, & EHX were the litmus tests, and we were getting $30 - $50 for a night's work per guy. These are different times probably.

Digital simply cannot replicate analog sound. No matter how high the sample rates get, it will never be analog. This doesn't mean that the analog components of this pedal are worth $400, it costs that much because not many people buy them.
I would buy all the analog gear I could find if I could afford it, or still had credit. If it makes you not wanna stop playing then that is priceless.
But I'm permanently disabled, so the only reasons I have the gear I have are a strategic bankruptcy and recently, some rent assistance. I have a bass 4, a bass 5, a guitar, 3 combo amps, 3 multi-FX pedals, a computer, interface, MIDI controller, and monitors. This is not much compared to what most musicians have. The single most expensive item (besides the computer) is the bass 5 ($579).

david57strat

Would I treat myself to a $400.00 delay pedal?

Well - I'm a delay and reverb fanatic, anyway. So, yes - absolutely. I have, I would, and I will again.

If the pedal speaks to me, and makes me want to stay up at all hours, writing, recording, and/or performing music, live with it - of course.

71strat

Yes. I have 4 of the MOOG MF104Ms, and 1 of the MOOG MF104MSD. I did have 2 of the MOOG MF104MSD but traded it for 1 MOOG MF104M, and a Roger Mayer Voodoovibe+
I payed around $700 each for the MF104Ms, and $800 for the 104MSD
I also have 3 of the MOOG Minifooger Delays.

Im also looking at the new Suhr Discovery Analog Delay.

markjsmith

Silver Supporting Member
If it is inspiring to play at $400, and nothing that costs less gets you as inspired then yes it's worth it.

jay42

I've scanned this thread and I didn't see anything about the Eventide Timefactor, which is roughly $500 new. Is it basically passe'? Missing features you get in newer pieces like the Timeline?

As to the OP question, I don't like my digital delay because the first repeats seem to be too accurate on the attack and I can't dial it down...therefore, I see this price point colliding with the Helix Stomp and I am stuck for the moment...pricing being too close to pull the trigger.

is the Eventide too old? Is the Helix world beyond that?

Kurt Weber

Sadly, I'm going to have to decline this poll. I'm a psych disability patient, and my total income is, $79/mo. It's really difficult to afford anything for my music, for instance this month I,ll have to take money out of my day-to-day money just to buy food for my rabbit and maybe strings for one guitar.

Javiceres

Hey guys,

Cheers!

I would if I knew I’d like to have all those knobs at my disposal at all times. I’d it’s just for the sound and the dynamic behaviour... that’s not as easy: I can have equally satisfying results with an Eventide pedal for instance but still got me a big box DMM (with the good mods: input impedance, extra chip for 100 mSec more) for to me those big knobs are almost like “expression-knobs” I can fliddle with at all times (and... well almost nothing sounds exactly like a DMM save probably the example you arises here).

MrFuzzTone

If it sounds good, what the heck. I have spent more than that on delay pedals and a lot more for vintage Martin acoustics. Fun stuff.
Some people even buy real 59 Les Pauls.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom