Would you want a Gibson where they “fixed” the “headstock issue”

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fjrabon, Feb 3, 2020.

“Fixed” Gibson?

1. Would love it, would pay a slight premium over an otherwise similar Gibson

20 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Interested, but wouldn’t pay a premium over an otherwise similar Gibson

158 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Interested, but would want to pay less than an otherwise similar Gibson

21 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Not interested at all, keep it like they did it in 1959

138 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. poppunk

poppunk Member

People arguing over this stuff is really weird.

The bulk of the arguing people on this classic "debate" are pretty salty about the headstock breaking at higher rate than other brands fighting with traditionalists.

The headstock breaks aren't at all common. They happen, but they're not common. I can see the added risk being of concern, but it just seems like the internet is full of people really focused on it really disproportionately to the actual incident rate.

And then you have the traditionalists who don't want their Eisenhower era designs messed with because they won't be able to hear the 173rd order harmonic on seventh fret of the third string.

Somehow being in punk bands for years, I'm a nutbag all over the stage, and I've never managed to break my headstocks off my SGs. I have no issue with the hand wiring in my 2002 versus the PCB in my 2011 (who wants repeatable manufacturing and consistency, anyway?). I'm not concerned about the engineering elements or nostalgia; I really just like the playability, quality, and look of them, so that's why they got played.

Gibson has to have been in a product development hell for decades, pinned between groups of people who are mad that they aren't doing something more modern, but when they do the traditionalists come swinging back.

PB+J, Thumpalumpacus and mistermikev like this.
  2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

how bout the only change they make is heel adjust thru the fretboard at the 20th fret? preserving that 1/4" of material thru the weakest part of the neck would probably do a lot to strengthen the headstock. that and perhaps a spline going down the center of the back of the headstock and I would bet it would pass a short drop test.
    that said... you can also just not drop your gibson... works pretty good for me.

PB+J likes this.
  3. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I didn't say the Les Paul was going to die out, just the attitude that nothing should ever be changed from 1959 spec will.

4. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

if you were flying to Tokyo with a guitar (i just did), that Les Paul would go in the plane with you, safely stowed in the coat closet or overhead bin. the Japanese flights had me board before the rest of the pax to make sure i has enough time to get a proper spot for it.

i fly/tour w/ my 335 in a double Mono bag. no issues yet. if anything happens, it’s insured. i don’t except a headstock break, but if so, learning experience!
    also i am not looking to buy a new anything, but i’m all for a reinforced headstock. why not!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    assquatch20 likes this.
  5. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

If anything this is a newer phenomenon though. And from what I’ve seen isn’t really a young/old thing anymore than guitar in general is.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

People complain because they handled their guitar carelessly?

See, what had happened was...

John Hurtt likes this.
  7. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

The only issue that I see is a "people" issue....falling off a stand, dropped etc. Not the fault of the guitar and not isolated to Gibson. The only headstock that got broken for me was a Hamer. I have owned about 50-60 Gibsons and 3 hamers...My batting average for hamer does not look so good! The guitar did fall off a stand...user error!

8. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

I'd likely take the same avenue with the LP. I do believe it's somewhat rare that they break but I still act with the knowledge that it's relatively easy for it to happen, so I'm a little more careful with Gibsons due to that. I still think everyone needs a Firebird though.

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a Gibson vs. PRS comparison. Rather, I was responding to the post that said that set-neck guitars should never be put on a guitar stand. I just thought that recommendation was a bit over the top.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. small axe

small axe Member

11. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

On the contrary. I think a large number of people here consider knocking a guitar over to be exactly “normal conditions of use.”

12. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I don't want a slightly smaller headstock.

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I've had one for the last 40+ years. it's called a L6-S Custom. Three piece maple neck w/volute and a maple board. I like my hysteric LPs better...and if you don't do stupid **** and aren't careless, they won't fall over and the headstocks won't break. At least I've never btoken one and I've been playing for 57 years...

14. plextasy

plextasy Member

The bigger issue for me is tuning stability. I would rock a Gibson with a slightly straighter headstock angle. I think a slightly narrower headstock with the tuning keys moved toward the center just a bit would be awesome too and help keep it stable. I installed a new nut and locking tuners and while my tuning issues have mostly been corrected, it could definitely be better in stock form.

As far as neck/headstock breaks, my LP has survived 20+ years of abuse with no breaks, even after an accidental drop (before I had strap locks.) ...knocks on wood...

15. PB+J

PB+J Member

Because they are captive to a market that thinks perfection was reached fifty years ago

Litterick likes this.
  16. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

I have no issue with the stock. Of course, I'm careful with all my instruments. Except maybe the Bronco bass. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

17. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

Everyone knows that the real solution to this issue is a headless LP. :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    jvin248 likes this.
  18. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

No need to included stupid seat belts in a modern car. Cars didn't have them in the 50's. You're only likely to get hurt if you hit something or flip the over; problem solved if you don't get into an accident.

Thumpalumpacus and jvin248 like this.
  19. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

If they slammed their OLED TV onto the floor, is it expected to emerge unscathed?
    How about if they hit a tree with their new putter in anger, or get their rolex caught in a
    bandsaw?

So why expect your guitar neck to take abuse? Take care of your stuff responsibly and no problem!

And if you do break your stuff - blame yourself, not the stuff.

Cam1936 likes this.
  20. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

Well, Gibson can't solve that one. You're going to have to complain to the manufacturer of humans about how easily they break under abusive conditions.

smallbutmighty likes this.