Wouldya go with Lollar or Fralin P90s for a LP Special

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jul 18, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Getting rid of some P100 stock pups. Guitar is an early 90s LP Special, cherry finish, solid mahog body, bound neck. Wonderful guitar. Not going to be a bright guitar by itself (no maple cap like the LP studio Gem series or the historic reissues w/ P90s. I like the warmth. Heard good things about Lollars and Fralins, but dont know which winding to pursue with the Fralins (underwound neck, etc.) and haven't heard either so shelling out a bunch of $$ may be risky without advice. Seems complicated. I want to play some Black Crowes, Stones and blues and blues rock with this guitar. Looking for vintage tones. For me it is hard to get a hold of pup descriptions as 'open' and other mine afficianado terms. Any help is appreciated!

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Dewey, I've got a couple of things for you to try next time we get together! May help clear things up for you. :BEER
    ... but the short answer is... Lollars rule IMHO!

3. go7

go7 Member

Have you considered Wolfetone? His P90`s are a thing of beauty IMHO.happy trails

4. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Dude, mine is an early 90s in TV Yellow. These guitars are a great get as the newer models the past six to seven years or so have left a lot to be desired. The last time I played mine through a loud jcm800 2203x with an OCD it sounded good no hum with P100s. Sadly the P100s have to go. I'm going with Llollars or maybe even Semour Duncas as they sound good on Hamer guitars. I've considered Gibson P90s-------probably the only pickup Gibson maked beter than the other after market manufacturers.

5. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I'll take this opportunity to say I just put a set of Lollars in my VOS LP Special tonight (no bs) and they are SO much better than the stock Gibson's its not even funny!

I hate to use the cliche' but it was like taking a blanket off. A lot more clarity, nicer bottom end, and a smoother grind.

These P90's are the shizzle. I am very impressed!

-Rich

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've never played the Fralins, so I can't comment on them. However, I did put a pair of Lollar P-90's in my Hamer Special and they're incredible. Much, much better than the Duncans that came with the guitar.

Never tried the Fralins. . .The Lollars rule!

Good luck!

7. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

I have Lollar P90s in my Koll 2PU Jr Glide and after three years have never had the slightest itch to swap them out (unlike most of my other guitars)!

:AOK

Corey

8. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Yep, Lollars ended the P90 search for me as well! I ordered one set and after a few chords I knew they delivered exactly the sound I was looking for. They're the reason I have 2 P-90 guitars (and of course, both decked out with Lollars).

9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I have the same guitar. I replaced the P100's (pure garbage) with Fralins, stock bridge and 10% underwound neck. The bridge pickup was bright and thin, so years later, I replaced it with a lollar bridge pickup. The lollar is far fatter and grindier (is that a word?) and just better overall than the Fralin. Although I really like the Fralin neck pickup, I'd probably just go with the Lollars if I had to do it again. If you go with the Fralins, I would definitely get the bridge overwound!

10. m1911

m1911 Member

11. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

I have used every P90 known to man at one point. The Lollar P90 were the best, IMHO. They made Fralin P90's sound almost anemic by comparison (no joke). The Harmonic Designs were close, but had a hi-fi tinge to them that I didnt really care for. The Lollars are beautifully organic and open, clean up amazingly well, and really growl when pushed hard.

The downside: They are a tad noisier than the HD's, IMHO.

Carl

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The "hi-fi tinge" is what I like best about the Z90s I have now in two of my guitars (one man's "hi-fi tinge" is another man's "balanced and super articulate").

Can't comment on the other choices - haven't done more than briefly try some guitars with them and can't offer opinions from that.

13. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I am having a custom single cutaway guitar made for me right now, it is all light weight mahogany with 2 P90's. I found that for a really grinding fat vintage tone I wanted voodoo P90's.

The lollars stayed too clean as did the fralins. I also gave all the specs to Peter Florance and I think we discussed exactly what the pickups should sound like in the guitar for something like an hour. He has been nothing short of amazing and I am sure the entire guitar will be nothing short of my expectations.

if you want to see pics of the guitar in progress visit www.gaugeguitars.com

14. Tinman

Tinman Member

I'm really suprised to hear this. I have had both Fralin and Lollar P90s in one of my guitars and I think they sound very similar. Ultimately I kept the Fralins because they were just a hair brighter and the guitar is a bit on the dark side.

15. mainsale

mainsale Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Jason Lollar is known as "Mr. P-90" though. I put his P-90's into my LP Special, with 50's Gibson wiring and hoveland tonecaps and I'm exceedingly pleased with the result.
    :BluesBros

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

These Fralin comparisons are of limited utility, as many if not most Fralins are custom-wound to the orderer's specs.

17. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I've got a friend who put a Voodoo p-90 in his hollowbody 60's epiphone and it is AWESOME.

18. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Plus, there's no way to know, a priori, what the damn pickup will sound like in a given guitar before you install it and string it up. Since I have been though the mod cycle more than once, I would start with the cheapest available p90s - used Gibsons, those GFS models on eBay, or another gear nut's rejects - install them and see how the instrument sounds. My new Gibson LP Special Faded DC sounds killer with the stock p90s.

I also vote for more practice, develop your vibrato, and soul depth to get a better tone.

19. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I disagree. I have had the Fralins and Lollar in the exact same model/era guitar and posted my opinions. Is that not what the original poster asked for?

Fralin "custom wound" me a stock P-90 style pickup. I replaced it with a standard (I think) Lollar and the Lollar sounded subjectively a LOT better. Maybe I should have asked Fralin to do a custom "Lollar wind?":jo

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

That's the only way to compare, same guitar, etc. I have some Fralins in a Baker black limba Jr. and I may try some Harmonic Designs in it since I already have them.