Wound G strings?

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I've seen an unwound .018 and maybe even a .017.

But they are fragile and don't last and frankly, going below .020 or .021 isn't great, and at that point, get a .011 set or stick with an unwound G.

But...

I have used a really heavy UNWOUND G and loved it before. like .020 or something.

mojo jones

Use a wound "G" when you need that sound. Use a plain "G" when you need that sound. Utility-wise, small diameter wound strings wear out very quickly ... really anything under a w24 will wear out in a few days, especially if you try to bend them. Flatwound will last longer. Just adjust your pick ups and use whatever is appropriate to the sound you're after; it's that simple.

rschultz13

Yes, I am remembering that on an acoustic the G usually breaks first if it's strummed hard or any bending is done… and that's usually a 24 as stated. Makes me leery of trying a w20.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I can push a wound .018 or .020 no problem, sometimes yanking down is easier. They will wear out after lots of fret dents, but I find the above statement somewhat exaggerated. Wound thirds are needed for oldet wrapover bridges with a 4 and 2 pattern and work well with vintage stagger strat pickups. Not so well with flat poles.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I love the sound of a wound G, but for bending it's a no-go.

If I'm playing a style where I don't need to bend much, I go wound G. That said, all my electrics apart from one have plain G's.

dennyman

I prefer 10s on my guitars and have only found D'Addario's with a wound G.

Does anyone else make a set of 10s with a wound G?

Thanks in advance!

texasdw

Platinum Supporting Member
I prefer 10s on my guitars and have only found D'Addario's with a wound G.

Does anyone else make a set of 10s with a wound G?

Thanks in advance!
That's the only company I've found with a 10-46 w/ wound G. But I really like that set. I don't do much bending at all. I like these on my Gibsons. I prefer unwound G on my Fenders.

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
Mangan has 10-50 wound G sets in pure nickel and stainless: 10-14-20w-28-40-50.

Trending Topics