wow $1100

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shane88, May 20, 2015.

1. shane88

shane88 Member

2. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

You can buy a $30,000 BMW 328i or you could buy an $80,000 BMW M3. You could also buy a nice car for $50,000. That's just how the market works... A heavy relic requires a lot more work and time than a NOS.

3. elicious

elicious Member

I clicked on the link expecting to find an $1100 guitar lol

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

5. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

What? You don't think $1,100 is too much to add fake from the factory wear do you? Cause that would be crazy talk.

shane88 likes this.
  6. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Still amazes me people will pay for a relic, but there must be a good market.

Many years back I was showing a friend several of my guitars, when he saw my old Strat - from 1956. He thought it was worthless because of all the wear and tear and couldn't understand why I kept such junk along with so many nice guitars.

Now many people will pay large sums to pre wear a guitar.

I'm more of a fan of the old fashion way - play the thing.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  7. sleewell

sleewell Member

heaven forbid we actually play a guitar. sooooooo much easier to pay someone to make it look like it.

$1,100 for a relic job.

sits in a case forever.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  8. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yes and when you are in your 50s and 60s you have so much time left to make it look like that. And since we are loaded 15-20k is not unreasonable to spend on a real 50s strat. Most relics get played more than their pristine counterparts( at least of the people I know).

9. John Ward

John Ward Member

There are a lot of things you can buy for $1100, one of them is however long it takes someone to make your guitar look like it's been played for 30 years.

10. dazco

dazco Member

$4k for most any tele is IMO ridiculous. It's frigging wood and a few parts, and all the parts can be swapped out to the same parts on a 4k one for a couple hundred bucks. Same exact design as a MIM classic series, many of which have great wood. Sorry, but while you may have a much better chance of scoring a killer one, theres also a greater chance that once your MIM is modded with as good a set of pickups and good saddles and setup it's going to be a close race that could even go to the classic series at 1/5 the price. You can only do so much in picking exceptionally good sounding wood, and you don't REALLY know if you succeeded till it's done and you play it. If you think fender is going to not pass them in QC because they don't sound exceptional you're dreaming. Flame suit on, but you won't convince me any different. Theres a lot more assumed mojo going on here than real differences in tonal quality, far far far more than the prices would suggest.

11. monty

monty Member

As did I.