WoW - '91 Strat from the West Indies rebuild . . . semi rant

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I've been doing service/repair work for a guitarist in the British West Indies for a year, or so now. He recently sent me a '91 Standard Strat that he's been pestering the owner to sell him for couple of years now and he finally did.

Here's what I found and here's what I've done so far. Boy is he going to pay for this . . .

First 12 frets need replacing - divots too deep to level.

Nut is totally FUBAR - needs replacing

Truss access is blocked - you read it right - blocked. Looks like someone jammed a too large wrench in there and F'd up the plug and thrust washer.

After drilling out the plug and removing the remnants of said washer I find the truss rod is frozen. Some oil and heat loosen it up - lucky me.

So today I made a thicker washer out of a 1/4-20 brass nut - turned it down to fit the cleaned out hole and thinned it down to 3/16" then greased up the truss end and sent it home. Then I made a new plug - (two tries - it's not an easy task) out of Lacewood - (no walnut in stock), I finally got the length right - and glued the rough shaped plug in and spent the next twenty minutes bringing it down flush to the finish without removing too much patina.

Boy is he gonna pay for this . . .

Next thing is to touch up the headstock finish, then refret, level, crown and polish and install and tune the new nut.

After that it's on to replacing the electronics, shielding and new stainless screws everywhere I can put them. Then a good setup to his specs and it's back to the salty, salty heat of the islands . . . along with a grocery list of swag he asked me to score for him.

Oh well - he's a good guy and loves my work and we don't take advantage of each other. I keep telling him he should just buy one of mine - then his friends would want one too . . . :Devil

Last edited:

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
Turns out this thing has been hanging on a wall for the past 10 years. :dunno

Trending Topics