Wow and Flutter for noobs (Strymon El Capistan content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Louiddur, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Louiddur

Louiddur Member

I there,

I did a post earlier this fall about the "wow&flutter" function of the Strymon El Capistan.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...t-similar-to-el-capistan-wow-flutter.2082000/

I bought a Line6 Echo Park, which is a really great delay pedal. With the MOD dans MIX knob cranked and TIME and REPEAT at minimum, I kinda get what I want. The problem is the latency that the delay create, even at minium.

I did some more research I came to the conclusion that the "wow&flutter", "warped vinyl", "warble sound" simulation on digital delay is partially created by a square ware vibrato? If so, any "chorus/vibrato" pedal with the option for square waveform should get close to a "wow&flutter" effect?

I am right?

Thanks!

Blue Bee likes this.
  2. Zalu

Zalu Member

Take a look at the Caroline Somersault! Recently saw it and it seems to do that in its Dark mode

Blue Bee likes this.
  3. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I think most delays that emulate tape do have a form of modulation like vibrato. What most of them overlook is the random crinkle you hear with El Cap and Echo Park

4. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Not really. These random sounding modulations have some sudden jumps that sound square-ish but it is not just that. Square wave modulation sounds like this: (23:30)

Random modulation sounds like a mixture of different waveforms. Deco does that sound.
    (05:30)

delay dude and Louiddur like this.
  5. GTone80

GTone80 Member

I was so in love with the Wow and flutter...
    Ditch the El Cap for the volante, but it did not have this lovely chorusy repeats with the “Mechanics” knob.

6. Louiddur

Louiddur Member

The random modulation seems necessary to achieve that tone, indeed. The EQD Aqueduct Vibrato seems to do that warble/vibrato sound with random modulation. I've heard that there's a latency though. In that case, I think that a vibrato ("Vibrato only" toneprint on my TC Flashback) + 100% wet, shortest time tape delay on my echopark should sounds similar...!

7. Louiddur

Louiddur Member

Reviving a zombie thread for future consideration :

I kinda solve the latency problem by putting the delay in "slapback" mode instead of "normal". The delay is quite shorter, thus no more latency

Happy customer.

The Echo Park is really one of the best pedal that I've ever bought. The tape mode with modulation is really great. The swell and reverse mode are really cool too. Tap tempo function works number 1

Tung-Sol Tube likes this.
  8. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Yes I love and miss the Echo Park for its great wow and flutter. Closest I’ve heard to real vintage tube Echoplex.
    I have the El Cap and it’s nice but still never quite gets me there. I do have a real tape echo too so I think that helps me from caving and getting another Echo park... but I sure want one, at least for the reverse!

Louiddur likes this.