Wow. Dimarzio Twang Kings = amazing tele tone. Review.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RockStarNick, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Hey guys, just wanted to post my latest discovery: the Dimarzio Twang King bridge pickup.

I've had the Dimarzio Twang King neck pickup in my tele for a good 4 years, and it's amazing. The only other covered neck pickup that has that much clarity is the Alan Hamel designed Fender Custom Shop Twisted
    Tele. The TT is a GREAT pickup, don't get me wrong, but it's very hard to come by, and you can only get it IN a new guitar. Not as a spare part.

ANYWAY... I decided to give the bridge counterpart of the Twang King a try on a whim. I've been feeling kinda bored by Tele lately. So yesterday, I threw in the Twang King bridge pu, fired it up, and holy crap... AMAZING tone.

Compared to my Fender Custom Shop Nocaster bridge pickup, the Twang king has much more bass, mids, and a less "steely" sound overall. More balls overall. Oddly enough, the Nocaster probably "twanged" more, but since I'm mainly playing rock music, not country, the gutsier sound of the TK just works for me.

It's got a great, aggressive broadcaster like tone, and more post-attack "push" to the notes. A5 magnets, massive copper baseplate, excellent build quality.

I know Dimarzio specialized in more of the shredder, modern sounding pickups, but these Tele Twang Kings are a complete home run. I feel like they took everything that kinda bugs me (and alot of others) about the tele and just "fixed" it. No more muddy neck pickup. No more icepick in the ear bridge pickup. These have Warm, smooth, clear, snappy, detailed neck tones, and gutsy, twangy, grinding, articulate bridge notes.

If anyone is looking to upgrade their tele to a clearer neck pickup and more aggressive bridge tone, and is short on cash, seriously, Spend $110 on these two Dimarzios, and you'll be MORE than happy...

2. teleman65

teleman65 Member

I haven't tried the Twang King neck pickup but I love the Twang King Bridge pickups I'm using.

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You've just convinced me more than ever to stick with my bridge original design 10.2K Nocaster RI PUP which does everything I need from a Tele bridge PUP but I congratulate you on your happiness with the Twang King.

4. RockStarNick

Jon, your 10K Nocaster is a totally different beast than the 7.5K one that was in my axe. Two totally different pickups. I bet the 10K one is a beast!!!

The 7.5K one was a tad plinky at times.

5. Jon Silberman

Ah, so that explains it! Then perhaps my original design Nocaster bridge PUP is actually right there in the ballpark with the Twang King. That would be cool! :)

6. RockStarNick

Yeah, the original design Nocasters use Alnico III magnets, with a hefty 10K wind. The new Nocaster wind uses the same Alnico III mags, but with a 7.5 appx wind.

The AIII mags naturally have a really nice bright high end, but definitely not a lot of mids or lows. I feel like that magnet is just begging for a good hot wind on the coil to beef it up.

Otherwise, if it's like the 7.5K Nocaster, it's good, don't get me wrong. But it's very traditional tele twang. There's not alot of "beef" in the sound, if that makes any sense.

Both do sound great, and have their own niche. But I'd love to try the TK side by side with your 10K Nocaster. I bet that the Twang King and the 10K nocaster *are* closer in sound than one would imagine... do you have any clips anywhere?

7. Jon Silberman

I wish I did but I'm off the lame-o-meter when it comes to recording and posting my music. :eek: Where do you live?

8. fretfreak76

fretfreak76 Member

Hey Nick,just checked out your site and liked what i heard ,are you playing your Tele w/twang kings on the cuts you have on there? BTW i noticed your influences and they are very similiar to mine[love john fruciantes playing/writing, another cat that is pretty damn talented and play's a wide range of styles is [Richie Kotzen] check him out!!! Anyway's i was planning on dropping a TWANG KING in my neck pos on my Tele & a Duncan Little 59' in the bridge;any opinion on this?

9. RockStarNick

PM Sent, Fretfreak.

Yes, on those recordings, that is a Twang King in the neck, but a NoCaster in the bridge.

10. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

My favorite Tele P/U.

11. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Have it in one of my teles and thought this was it - until I had Don Mare custom wind one of his 'Keef " pups in another: A3 @10.28 k ohm. Wow ! Finally a bridge pup that I don't have to fiddle with the vol&tone knobs on the fly to get it to 'sit ' right in the mix with the A5 neck. It's clear, clean, warm AND breaks up when pushed. The Twang in comparison breaks up too fast & you lose a lot of subtlety as a result. The Mare is twice the price - but well worth it.

12. David Garner

David Garner Member

Twang Kings rock. I was going to get eventually get Lollars in mine, but when I got the Twang Kings, that was it. No need to look further.

13. AEROSNIFF

AEROSNIFF Member

I've got a set of TK's and found them to be very generic sounding. Nothing special.
    Spent all my time trying to dial them in. There are much better pups for just a little
    more money

14. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

People are hesitant to believe me when I tell them that the Twang Kings are a pretty good sounding pickup.

15. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I've got them in my Logan Tele. They're good enough that I haven't worried about bothering to replace them. Sounds like a Tele, and that's really all I was looking for. I also get alot of good tones from the DiMarzios in my Parker Fly, so I'm not biased against the brand like some are.

16. 2Strats

2Strats Supporting Member

I'm hoping they sound good, I ordered a set for my MJT '53 Relic!!

17. Aran

Aran Member

I know what you're saying but I honestly have a great tele sound and it's anything but thin on my Nocaster stock bridge pup. But I am considering replacing the one pickup I think should be stouter, the neck. The bridge nocaster is just fine for me.

18. dazco

dazco Member

Odd....i love the TK neck, but tried the bridge and hated it.