1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wow - Flexi live not in my hands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I play in two country bands; both played this evening at a festival here in Michigan.

I play acoustic guitar in both bands; so I don't get to roll my Flexi out on these shows.

Except tonight.

The electric guitarist in the Laura Wilkie band had both his amps go down on other gigs this week; he asked if he could borrow my rig for tonights show.

I took the Flexi out with the Tone Tools 112 loaded with Guytron's Big Tone 55 in it.

The other guitarist in the TJ Kelly Band just used my rig too.

So it was a very interesting experience to hear your rig in two other guitarists hands while on stage playing! :D

And man, I gotta throw down HARD for the Flexi; that thing is utterly killing me. I love it. Both guys were just gaga over it; Chris in the Laura Wilkie Bnad especially is a seriously skilled player with chops and taste that make you smile when he plays; he is a fantastic player. Normally a Fender Deluxe player; he used his Tele into a Tube Screamer and wah in front of the Flexi and just smoked. Jim from TJ's band is a rock cat playing country; Les Paul usually into a Hiwatt half stack. He was sorta looking at the Flexi and my 112 cab; but once he got on it, he was tearing it up.

From where I was playing; right next to both guys; the Flexi was doing all the good stuff I hear when I play it. Just a wonderful live amp with tons of guts and mojo. Cuts like a monster; sounds just stellar.

For all the naysayers on another thread; peace. To anyone wondering if the Flexi can cut it live; man... the thing is a live machine. It records wonderfully; don't get me wrong. But you have not heard this thing until you have heard it in a band.

The Wilkie band has keys, bass, drums, vocals, backup vocalists, acoustic guitars and electric guitars. Big lineup; very full arrangments. The Flexi was THERE and it was outstanding.

Just happy.

:D

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Wives don't take photos of gear I am afraid, but here is a shot from the show of yours truly:

[​IMG]

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

You look like Brad Baldsley............... oops, I meant Paisley.

4. Surf Twang

Surf Twang Member

Cool gig report. Thanks for sharing. I like THD amps and although I've never gigged with one I always got the impression that they would do a good job of cutting through the mix. The ones I've played all had an "in-your-face" presence that I imagined would do well in a band situation. Looks like I imagined correctly. :)

Nice hat, BTW.

5. 3Sides

3Sides Member

Who's that skinny guy with the hat?

First pic I've seen of you after all the fitness stuff.

Workin' out and Lookin' good!

6. brent

brent Member

The Flexi is the best 'in context' amp I've ever owned, it excels with a band, and has a great sonic footprint in the studio.

Sometimes it helps to hear your gear in use by other players, to me it either a) gives me new ideas for dialing my stuff b) reminds me that the stuff does sound killer, something I find you forget after you get close to a piece of gear and notice the negatives instead of the positives it brings

7. raz

raz Member

Gigged with mine for the first time last night. I know exactly what you're saying, Scott. Even in a pickup jam with another band whose rhythm guitarist got WAY too loud, I had no trouble hearing or being heard.

I got a lot of comments to the effect of, "You sounded great! That other guy was too loud!"

When you think about it, you don't often hear those words together.

R
    A
    Z

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thanks for the report, Scott.

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Scott - nice review. It's always good to hear about gear - and how it performs/sounds - from cats that are on stage "doing it".

10. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Supporting Member

Scott don't you know you're not supposed to wear a light hat after Labor day?:D

11. GasMask

GasMask Member

I always love to hear other people play my gear. It really gives a different perspective on the sound. Acoustic guitars sound much different when you are out in front of them as opposed to playing them yourself.

12. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Something's gotta be done about that hat, though :D

--chiba

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You go Peterson!:dude