WOW! Honey Bee!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Sep 11, 2005.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I thought I was done trying EVERY boutique pedal known to man. Ultimately I settled on a Timmy as my fav into my Bruno UG30.

And for my BFDR I could not find anything that worked as well as an original Marshall Blues Breaker. Others were too bright, didn't tame the brittleness, etc as well as the Marshall. Well I'd read somewhere here that the HB was really nice into BF Fenders so I got one off of Dean at SOS Strings.

This pedal is right up there with the Timmy for me. Absolutely killer. Does not have that 'pedal' sound at all, smooth but dynamic and sparkly. This is just at apartment levels so far, the true test will be with our band at VOLUME. But I know the only other time I connected with a pedal this thoroughly was with the Timmy so I'm pretty sure it'll hold up.

I still like the Timmy a bit more into the Bruno as that amp is smooth to begin with so the brightness of the Timmy works well there.

But into the BFDR the Honey Bee is best by a WIDE margin. I'm very impressed. :dude

2. T-bone

T-bone Member

Cool!
    I have a Honey Bee on the way and I'm hoping for some thick chewy tones.:cool:

3. fast ricky love

Thick, chewy, but still with some nice definition and sparkle. What's fantastic about this pedal is the 'nature' knob. Works kinda like a tone control, but as you increase the treble it actually smoothes out the tone and adds mids instead of making things brighter or more harsh. Very sweet indeed, I think you'll love it. Definately not high gain, but that's perfect for my playing.

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

the Honey Bee is also really useful for 'flavoring' the Timmy,,, so try the HB into the Timmy into the UG30, maybe back the level on the HB back to unity......but you can use it to get more of the touch dynamic distortion and still get the Timmy/UG30 sound your diggin...:cool:

5. muddy

muddy Member

****!!!! i erased, by accident :mad: what i just wrote! shite!! anyway, with my strat, which has the phenom wagner sr set, the bee gives up blind faith circa clapton. it kills with a leslie, too! but for a GREAT working mini-od station, place an everman fuzz drive g2 before it to get into landgraf/cjod territory with much more slice! pure tonal heaven, trust me. :cool: it really is a special overdrive! :cool:

ml

6. fast ricky love

Yo Muddy, was that your review on HC? I only ask because you mentioned Blind Faith (one of my favorite Clapton moments) as did the HC review, which mentioned 'Had To Cry Today'. I only ask because I'm trying to figure out that song and wondered if it was you and if so, if you had that one figured out??? :)

7. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

I, too, have recently learned to speak Bee.

It is very cool. i am definitely a bee keeper.

:dude

8. muddy

muddy Member

yeah, that was me, ricky. :cool: you know, as a player & writer of his own music for years, i've always been envious of those who play in cover bands. i've always had to snatch disruptive minutes out of a rehearsal, just to play the solo section from "ice cream cakes" or "celestial seasonings" (you know, the tune in a loop from birds of fire). so the answer to your question re "had to cry today" is yes, if you give me a minute or 2. ;)

ml

9. fast ricky love

Hey ML, if you have it figured out shoot me an email - I got the riff and a general sense of the chords but a second opinion would be great. If not don't worry, I'm sure you're busy with your music. Thanks bro!

10. T-bone

T-bone Member

Just got my Honey Bee today and I'm floored. Haven't had a lot of time with it but theres so many different tones in that little box. The drive tone is exactly what I was hoping for and the Nature control is just wild. As a bonus full CCW on the Nature and it has a cool fuzz tone! Well worth the cash.:cool:

11. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

do the honey bee's have a decent amount of volume on tap? can it only be used on an amp that's set clean or can it be used on an amp that's already slightly overdriven. once i save some money the next two pedals on my list are the honey bee and sea blue eq. i already have a timmy on the way and that should be enough for overdrive pedals. a good delay is the only other thing i'd really need.

12. drolling

drolling Member

My Timmy won't be constructed till October, but my HoneyBee is somewhere over Helsinki. I really like what Bjorn is doing- his designs are refreshingly original. Bit by bit, I'd like to replace almost everything on my board w/ BJF.

As truly fabulous as my Memory Lane is, I'd be very interested in his take on an analog delay circuit. Very interested. Are you reading this, Bjorn?

13. BJF

BJF Member

Hi Thank you for the good words gentlemen,

Your HB I think should be over the Atlantic...

Yes, drolling, I am reading.

At your service
    BJ

14. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Just so you know I asked Jason to tell you for me, but I am extremely pleased with the EGDM you sent me (#75) It is absolutely fabulous. I love it. I will be getting more soon probably a honey bee. Thanks BJ.

15. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Well, pleased to meet you,pacomc79.
    Ah, the 075, yes I do remember that one, I am glad you enjoy it.

Best
    BJ

16. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Hello BJ,
    May I ask you a question? I have looked at your honey bee pedal for some time. I've read all the comments. Sounds like a great pedal. My question is, I'm a Gibson, humbucker player. Not a Fender, single coil man. Many pedals seem to work well with either type but, not always well with both.....does that make sense? I run my Gibsons into an old Park 50 watter, Marshall 50 watter or Orange OR120. Will your pedal work well in my situation? I like a warm, overdriven sound. Just past the early, break-up stage.
    Thank you.

17. fast ricky love

Go for it bro. I play nothing but Les Pauls, both humbucker and P-90 and it works very well indeed, like I said, my fav into my BFDR!

18. fast ricky love

Pretty cool that BJF is here! :)

I was in Stockholm for vacation last Xmas, really nice city. Too bad we couldn't meet up for a pint at the 'Spitfire' (I was there many a night!) Great pedal sir!

19. BJF

BJF Member

Hi

Pleased to meet you noctilux1 ,

Hm, yes I think the HB would work fine in your setup, as fast ricky love says- pleased to meet you too btw.

The key to getting the most dynamic response outof HB is to run amplifier fairly clean or at the brink
    of distortion.

HB should be rather smooth and as, a friend, Seegs,
    said onto me HB puts a glaze on the notes.....
    On most guitar amplifiers this would be noted as smooth but not toothless, just never too bright.
    HB does what it does maybe best with humbuckers and
    I have done several tests to find something that can predrive HB to make similar results for strats and for this RRB works best of all I have tried - however it still sounds like a strat.....

Thank you for the good words and your interest

Best regards
    BJ

20. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Love my HB with P90s. The most dynamic, touch sensitive pedal I have ever heard.