Wow, huge difference between old vs new Budda Superdrive!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by goodertone, May 22, 2015.

1. goodertone

goodertone Member

So, I've been enjoying a pre-peavey Budda SDII 80 combo for a few months, and decided to get a head version to go along with a Budda 4x12. I received the head (peavey version), and there are some quite noticeable differences, sound-wise, between the two.

Right away, the peavey amp is WAY louder, at least taper-wise. Virtually unuseable for smaller gigs. Next thing that hit me is how the peavey version is brighter/harsher, and the attack is quite mushy. The differences are not subtle; kinda comparable to playing a greenback loaded Bogner, then switching to a G12T-75 loaded Marshall cab.

I switched all the tubes between the amps, and it made little or no difference. The pre-peavey amp is just tighter, browner, better volume taper, sweeter high frequency, and a touch quieter floor noise, regardless of tubes used. Both amps were being played through the same cab, and no amount of settings changes could make up the difference.

For the record, i tried rolling preamp tubes one at a time, swapped power tubes,etc. It's just a different amp. After opening both amps up, and comparing gut shots, seems to be some differences there as well. I guess it's possible the new amp is a dud or whatever, but it does function just fine. Just wanted to share my experience...

Some pics (purple circuit board is peavey-made):
    http://rs33.pbsrc.com/albums/d61/beathead2003/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0423_zpshj5tv25a.jpg~320x480
    http://rs33.pbsrc.com/albums/d61/beathead2003/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0427_zpse4dtwprp.jpg~320x480
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/beathead2003/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0425_zpskddtszhn.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    DMVGuitar and Dave_C like this.
  2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Interesting report. I've read a few on here that state they are pretty close. But, your experience is obviously different. SD30 series I owner here. One of my favorite amps ever. It's SO good. Hope you're enjoying yours!

3. goodertone

goodertone Member

Yeah, i was disappointed with the new amp, but I was basicly just getting it as a backup, so its all good. I had an older SD18II which was great, as well.

This is my 1st experience with the peavey made ones, so I definitely can't conclude they are different as a whole. It sure has me wondering though. I have seen some scattered reviews claiming old ones sounded better, but many more stating "virtually no difference", so maybe it's more a consistancy issue? Hard to speculate without buying a bunch of Budda's...

4. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Are you sure it's not the 4x12 cab that's making the difference? Have you tried running the combo amp plugged into the 4x12 to see how that compares?

Also, check the ohms output as the Budda 4x12 cab runs at 8 Ohms.

buddaman71 likes this.
  5. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

Until now, almost everything I've read on this comes to the same conclusion; there is basically no difference between pre and post-Peavey Superdrives. Regardless, I'm glad mine is pre-Peavey... nothing to worry about.

I ran my SD30 II into an old Trace Elliot 4x12 for a while. After about 6 months I tried the 12s in the cab again, and realized I'd been missing a lot of the singing harmonics produced by the Phat speakers and open-back cab. At first it sounded harsh, but after ending up with the eq dialed to almost completely opposite settings I realized how much better it was stock.

6. goodertone

goodertone Member

Yeah, i bypassed the combo speakers, and ran both amps into the same cab( one at a time, of course) at 8 ohms. Idk, I'm seeing some different components, and small layout differences between the 2 amps. If you click on the links, and magnify the gut shots I posted, just by looking at that, you can tell they are not the exact same amp.

I will probably return the new amp, and give it another go. If the new amp I get sounds better or same or worse, I will report back

7. goodertone

goodertone Member

I love the phat speakers! I also have an Orange 4x12 w/broken in vintage 30's, but I prefer the Budda cab, as its more clear sounding. A touch punchier, as well. Either cab sounds awesome with SD80 though!

8. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Funny, I have first gen wired sd30 and a early peavey era sd30.

Except for the added pull modern, sounded pretty close to me.

9. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Of course side by side into same cab comparison

10. goodertone

goodertone Member

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if its just the 80 that sounds different, or if the bias is set wrong from factory? The SD series are supposed to be fixed bias(plug and play) though, i believe?

11. goodertone

goodertone Member

Its funny how when I got my first 80, I thought, wow, the volume taper is crazy difficult to control (at 8:00 on master is crazy loud), but the new amp at 8:00 is screaming!

Upon switching back to the older amp, volume taper doesnt seem so bad lol. The new amp is definitely fizzier and more ear fatiguing. With the older budda, i can actually sit down right in front of the speaker cab, and it sounds great (no fizz, nice throaty mid-range roar). Eq's basicly at noon, except bass is rolled back to about 9-10:00.

On new amp treble is rolled completely off, mids at about 11:00, and its still fizzier

12. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

They are cathode bias meaning they are plug and play, fixed bias means it is not and they are adjustable usually. It's possible Peavey messed with the design a bit they seem to be making some odd business choices as of late.

13. goodertone

goodertone Member

Ahh, I had it reversed, thanks for clearing up my terminology :).
    So, is there a specific power tube rating range to purchase to replace tubes, or just any matched 6L6GC set will be fine?

14. Classic09

Classic09 Member

When I put new tubes in my SD45 the new tubes sounded bright and harsh, so I switched them for known 'good' tubes I already had and them amp now roars. Jeff was known for discarding tubes that sounded off in the amps. May be peavey isn't so picky.

15. goodertone

goodertone Member

I actually did switch power tubes between the 2 amps. In this case, really didnt make a difference.

I was also surprised how little different preamp tubes affected tone, as well. I had convinced myself that a tung-sol RI in v1 and a mullard RI in v2 was the magical recipe, but i swapped 'em out for a JJ and a Ruby that was in the peavey budda, and it sounded very close (if not, exactly) the same lol.

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

17. goodertone

goodertone Member

Thanks for posting the pics. I couldnt figure out how.
    You can see what I mean by it not being the exact same amp, huh?

18. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I will assume that the amp with the black board and purple traces are Budda.....:)

I think PV did a noticeably "better" job with lead dress than did Budda.:dunno

19. goodertone

goodertone Member

Nope, the green board is pre-peavey, dark purple board is peavey

20. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Are you using the same power tubes, at the same bias point with the same voltage?

Makes a difference.