Wow! I am not as gassy as I used to be...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by michael.e, Dec 20, 2009.

1. michael.e

michael.e Member

What is happening??! I have been running through amps like I used to run through, well, alot..

I have setteled on only 3 amps. Two early '70's Superleads and my Xits X50. Any volume, any tone I am looking for, these amps do it all for me with the response and feel that I have always looked for.
    I have settled on 3 cabs. A Marshall HW-B cab w/G12H30's, a '72 A cab with a pair of 75hz Greenies and 55hz Cremebacks and a red Bogner 4-12 with a pair of Golds and a pair of Scumback Greenies. I still may do some speaker swapping. Only other amp I may be interested in is a vintage Fender of some sort. Has to be higher powered and full sounding.

After all of the versions of "Mothership" and crazy high end pedals that I have had over the years, I am using consistently..
    Fulltone Trower OD in to a Fulltone Catalyst. No board, just a couple of boxes thrown on the floor.
    I will still be keeping my Fulltone Fatboost 3 and my Petersen stomp tuner and my old rackmount Ibanez AD202 for the loop of the Xits whenever the urge hits.
    Would not mind having another Klon and mebbe a Cornish fuzz, but that is about it..

Guitars? I have a GREAT '02 R8, a couple of Gretsches 6120 SLTV and Spectra Sonic that is going to be "Jr.'ized, a CC Tele, a GREAT Esquire, a nice sounding Strat that will not stay in tune, a LP Special and an amazing Martin 00028GE. Only other guitar I want as an electric is perhaps an SG Jr.

I am not going to the Emporium as much and I am not hitting Craigslist as much either.

I am surfing MUCH more again and I am working a trade deal for a beautiful early '70's motorcycle.
    I love the preoccupation, but it can take more energy that I, for me, should be spending elsewhere. I feel better.

2. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

That's a great feeling, isn't it? I've had this twice in my life - once while in England, then ALL of my electrics were stolen. Then I took the insurance money and rebuilt my arsenal, only to have my LP Std all busted up my the mail carrier on its way home from London...I was literally sick for a few weeks.

This last year I've gone through well over 30 guitars, most of them bought/sold/traded here on TGP. Now I'm to the point where I'm only going to buy guitars that give me that "I can't leave this store without it." It was a fantastic experimental stage, but none of them touched my heart enough to keep.

TGP will still get some love but it'll have to be something I just know I can't find anywhere else...like a Vinetto Legato TC or something like that.

Hey bro, added both of your myspace sites! Cool names!

3. Madison

Madison Member

I'm with ya, it's a good place to be. I'm done with guitar and amp, but still buy pedals every so often (Riot due in tomorrow). Kind of like mini gas!

4. Crikey

Crikey Member

Congrats, man! I've slowed down a lot, too. I'll probably be downsizing at some point, but I've got a variety of tones that I dig.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am in a good place with my gear, and have been since 2007, so it's been a while. After being on the gear merry-go-round for a long time, it's a great time to just play what you like (love) and make music instead.

6. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Maybe you're just being smart and saving money for parts for that 70's motorcycle, if it's a Triumph, Norton or BSA....you'll need it! :)

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Selling pretty much everything, keeping a guitar and an amp. Just ordered 3 new boards. Skateboarding a ton. Riding my bikes. Sick and effing tired of missing good waves. When I quit smoking weed 8 yrs ago I think I pretty well replaced it with a full blown gear jones. I'm defective in that I'm either all in, or all out - I don't dabble well.

Good on ya michael.e - now please head straight to the Lane, drop in on Vince Collier and tell him I sent you ;)

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

maybe it's the culmination...at any rate a good place to be...I'm headed there myself but not quite there yet...I'm looking for another flavor amp and then I think I'm pretty well there...

all the time spent wheelin' and dealin' loses its luster and takes its toll after awhile...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

You still have a full arsenal of gear my friend but I hear ya :aok

same boat here, did a crazy amount of buying/selling/trading when I first got here a few years ago.

Finally quieted down some this past year. No more 'holy grail' unobtanium amps/pedals/guitars

Just a few meat and potatoes amps, sturdy pedals and workhorse guitars.

It was fun though wasn't it?....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

After almost 3 years of hits and misses in my search, I'm resolved to what I have now. And that resolution will be solidified with the new year. Of course, the past month has been very active in trading and selling, and I won't take delivery of my last 2009 purchase ('78 Marshall A cab w/ Blackbacks) till Jan 2nd...

This year I'll concetrate more on the tech side of my playing so my gear can sound like the gear it is.

11. telecopter

telecopter Member

I've slowed down a BUNCH with buying/selling/trading, and am happy with what I have.

It's been a long road...

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

Eeee's a weetch!...

13. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

It's cool that you are happy with your gear, but referring to yourself as gassy is grounds for having your man card taken away. lol

14. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I wish I could be there! I think the thing that keeps me focused is when I have some gigs lined up as it takes my mind off of gear and on to the music where it really should be. Anyway the whole GAS thing can be fun and frustrating at the same time.

15. dets1

dets1 Member

i don't do alot of wheeling and dealing, though i too have thinned out the herd a bit. i'm down to four amps- fuchs ods 50, budda 18w combo, rivera chubster and a '68 bandmaster. i NEVER sell guitars (learned that lesson a long time ago) but i'll be danged that as soon as i'm done with this post, i'm headed to the emporium.

16. lpfella

lpfella Member

My gas has stopped as well. Maybe mostly due to hard economic times but I think it is a good thing to be forced to quit as well.

I did just buy a Box of Rock pedal which has kept me entertained. Just got it a few days ago.

I also want t get two tone pros bridges for my LP's. But, that is hardly gas is it?

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

getting the amps down is key. that way you don't have to re-evaluate all of your other gear in response to an amp. having two amps, i have about half my gear loving one amp, the other half loving the other. Since i locked in, i probably have only one "rotating slot" left in my guitar musings, and pedals are locked in with the exception of maybe a treble booster just out of curiosity. It's a nice place to be.

18. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I am done, I have the gear I need. I am in my playing mode now, much more gratifying. However, I still enjoy looking at what others have landed. Nothing wrong with it, I just wanna make some music now.