Wow... I'm... I'm done.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, Aug 8, 2019.

1. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

The only way I can ever see someone being truly done is if they have their gear and subsequently avoid all social media and guitar stores for the rest of their lives. Essentially become a hermit. There's always "something"!

Drawde likes this.
  2. wmachine

wmachine Member

I thought these were the obvious type answers. But if you mean, how do you keep from falling off the wagon, there are 12 step programs.

AprioriMark likes this.
  3. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

First of all. Congrats. Second, 10 years? You're a puppy. lol... I keed!!!!

On a more serious note, while I've been playing, buying, selling, and trading gear for about 40 years, I never really considered myself a gear hound. I see or hear something I like, I try it, if I really like it, I'll get it. When I'm tired of it or have no more use for it, I'll move it on. Most players in my area (with a few exceptions obviously) are like that. Something nice is something nice. Innovation is still innovation. If it's something I dig, I'll get it. Even my wife knows this about me and she is fine with it. I have enough gear for now but if something were to come down the pike today that is interesting to me, I'll not limit myself just because I said I would. If that makes me weird, so be it. I do wish you the very best with your decision and in a way, I'm rooting for you! You're a bigger man than I am, that's for sure.

4. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

Ha! Good one! You almost had me. :wave

5. Sean6247

Sean6247 Member

A couple of years ago, I bought a custom guitar and built a T-style Warmoth parts caster. I did that after I bought a Fractal AX-8. Now I no longer lust for gear. I have everything I need and I haven't bought anything other than picks and strings.

My advice to you.... Take up golf. That'll give you something to do with your money.

6. Less Paule

Less Paule Member

Stop BUYING and start PLAYING.

It's true I'm a ham 'n' egg player. A true guitar hack.....but I have more fun than I deserve writing and recording my own material on THE MOST BASIC STUDIO you will ever see. My "gear" is laughable....and I could care less. It's almost a mission of "how much can I accomplish with the little I have" ?

Are you a legit professional guitarist? I ask that with genuine intent. If you are, I can understand getting caught up in the gear rat-race. It's easy to do. If you're not, then stop buying and get busy playing man. When this "thing" we do becomes a burden instead of a fulfillment, it may be time to re-evaluate the situation.

7. dmac in SC

dmac in SC My PhD digs holes for Posts Silver Supporting Member

LOL.and then you'll realize that nothing you have sounds anywhere near as good as you thought it did, and the cycle starts over again, only worse:bonk

8. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Yeah, stop coming to the forum. It fuels GAS.
    Everytime I've hit an "I'm done" plateau, I get rolling again, then regret it.

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've often been done :D

jon

burningyen likes this.
  10. wstsidela

wstsidela Sedulous Gold Supporting Member

Over? Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?

11. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

If there was an amazing guitar store with all the gear you’re interested in and it was all used and in perfect working order but with the prices on CL it would take just a few weekends to figure out your needs

12. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

OP - I know this was your sentiment at 11:37 today, but the mods immediately started tracking your online activity and you've already been on Sweetwater site at 12:45p, 2:06p, and again at 3:37p looking at pedals. It ain't easy defeating the GAS demons! We're here for ya! :D

Less Paule and Jdstrat like this.
  13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

Honestly, you aren't really done with a hobby until you stop reading about it on the internet and being engaged in communities. That's when it actually goes away. Until then, you just haven't found something that tickles your fancy...give it time, keep reading, and GAS will redevelop because you are plugged into the scene. The only way to truly not care, is to actually not care with your actions...ie stop reading about it, stop following the trends, and discussing it with strangers. You can play with it and have tons of fun, but if you are reading about Plumes and C4 and SY1...then maybe those don't appeal to you, but eventually something will. I mean, if you really are done acquiring gear and wanting gear, what fun is it to read threads about which dirt is the best or the new pedal coming out that does this crazy thing.

My GAS went away for about a decade...it did that because I really stopped caring. I stopped playing and stopped reading about music and gear and talking about it on the internet. I instead turned my disposable time to a different hobby, the craft beer scene. I started reading about it, participating in online communities and it wasn't long until I knew about new beers coming out and was waiting on lines outside of breweries for them to open up to buy the new flavor of the week. After too many moons of doing that, I determined that booze was killing me quickly and that I needed to refocus my energy elsewhere - that lead me back to music and gear. Once I stopped reading the beer websites, the desire to try this new bourbon barrel aged beer went away because I didn't know about it and wasn't reading how great it was and my FOMO wasn't triggering...instead I found myself refreshing pedal builder sites for a chance at some small batch stomp boxes. I sold much of my beer related valuables and re-invested that money into gear. I have regular GAS and I can't help but browse classifieds because it is what interests me and gets me excited and fills my hobby void with joy, but I know that it will never go away until I stop looking. No matter how satisfied with my rig I am, as long as I'm following the news of gear and calssifieds, then I'm in it. If I can refocus that attention towards enhancing my chops, then I'd go full bore into that and be out of the GAS game...I think people who enjoy hobbies, need a hobby. We have extra passion and need an outlet to focus that energy. If your outlet gets boring or you've achieved where you want to go with it, then you need to find something new or perhaps start looking into a potential depression that is curbing your enthusiasm for hobbies and doing things.

Just my $0.02 and personal experience, but I don't think I'm all that different from everyone else.

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  14. Betos

Betos Member

Great OP! Now get off the forum, log out of your computer, head outside and chase those damn kids off your lawn!! ( i kid )

Seriously, I felt the same, until I discovered the Bilt Zaftig here on the forum. Now i have another guitar that i really enjoy.

Your taste may change over time, and your gear as well.

There is no right or wrong answer, unless it’s negatively impacting your life

15. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

dude you are missing one of the finer points about being on TGP. ok you "think" you are done buying (snicker). now you spend your time here telling the rest of us how and why your gear choices are "better" than ours or recommend items to those who are still in the hunt. how else are we going to get 20 page threads on what the best OD or Dumble style amp is etc?

i haven't bought any new gear in over 7 years now. i did have a big splurge right before then after careful consideration of what works for me and what my basic needs would be. of course i know the day will come when something calls to me.

16. KHAN

KHAN Member

This forum is for everyone at any stage of their journey. Those seeking more gear are likely to post a lot more than those satisfied with what they have. IMHO.

17. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I've completely lost interest in buying, and struggle to stay interested in play, but I'm heavily into modding. How do you fancy that?

18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure why you would be upset about accomplishing your goals. Regarding not buying gear anymore - does that preclude you from sharing your new found philosophy with your fellow forumites? Or advising The Gear Searchers about what gear they might want to search for to achieve the sonic nirvana they so desperately desire?

19. MatZen

MatZen Supporting Member

Enjoy the all the extra free time and make some great music!

20. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

In most cases, the impulse to buy things doesn't go away when a person gets what they thought they wanted. It goes away when he or she figures out what causes that impulse and deals with it. If you haven't done the latter part, you shouldn't be concerned about being done with hunting for gear, because you almost certainly are not.