Wow!! Killer New Bruno Clips Up At Bruno Site!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Oct 30, 2007.

1. scottl

scottl Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tag, look in the rhythm rig. See the box on the Dumble? Royer Ribbon mic. Then look at the lead rig pic. He is recording both Dumbles at once, and firing one in reverse into an open room. Then recording the back!!! Can't tell, but they are either use a bookoo $$ Ribbon or Condenser.... So, tubeyness =room phase sound and NOT the amp.

Here is what Robben's tech says about the lead rig:
    [FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]The Basic Lead Rig.....[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]Splitting the guitar into his basic Dumble 2-12 rig, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]angled in a corner and facing into the open main room...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]and also into his Dumble Combo amp, loaded with a [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]custom Eminence speaker, faced either into the room or [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]into the open-miked back hall for large, ambient guitar [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,adobe-times,Times]solos.[/FONT]

2. scottl

scottl Member

Here is a pic of my Royer. Note the same cherry box that is on Robbens 2X12 cab.

[​IMG]

3. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

mmmm... Royer..... mmmmm...

good stuff there Scott.

rock

bford

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

COME ON!!! I am not buying it.
    CLIPS!!!!!!!! He used ONE mic!! Its the AMP!! TUBEY TUBEY TUBEY!!! I have NEVER heard that kind of tubyness (tubiness??) in your or ANYONES Dumble style clip!! That clip is fantastic!!!

5. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Didn't Royer make Qualudes back in the 70's?:)

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

You are correct.. the 714 model :)

ERIC

7. Mike

Mike Member

Lemmon

8. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

RORER wasn't it?:rolleyes:

9. Mike

Mike Member

So now I quote myself. Did a quick search:

"A similar pattern has developed with the diversion of diazepam. The most consistent use of diverted bulk diazepam powder has been in the production of methaqualone counterfeits that resembled "Quaalude 300s", marketed in the United States, including the inscription "Lemmon 714". These methaqualone look-alikes, which contain diazepam as the active ingredient, have been found on the illicit market throughout the United States and Some other parts of the world. The number of methaqualone counterfeit tablets containing diazepam that have been seized or purchased by law enforcement personnel increased 400 per cent from 1977 to 1980."

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Mike

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

YEs they were Rorer 714's .. We're just kidding about Royer, the Ribbon tube mic co doubling in ludes. Totally kiddage. Eric

11. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

• :roll:roll

Let me know your way you figure out.:roll;).

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Straight from the horse's mouth. LOL.

13. Tag

Here is a clip of my Cow 22, straight from the horses fingertips. :dude
    Not much clipping in this one, and the amp sounds great! Chapin Stratahoula straight into the Cowtipper. :AOK

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3008912&q=hi

VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!!!

14. daddyo

daddyo Guest

15. Tag

Hey Dad,

I think that clip is nice, but sounds like every other Dumble clone clip. The Bruno one blows me away with more of everything. You dont agree?

16. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Wow, there's some really nice sounding clips on this thread. A bit more clean than I usually play, but really nice just the same. I think I'm going to have to spend some time with a Cowtipper in the future. Maybe at NAMM this year... :)

17. JDJ

JDJ Member

Well, if nothing else, Tag's unwavering enthusiasm is highly entertaining if not inspiring. We should have a party at Tag's house.

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i'd be lost w/o my royers.
    FWIW, i'd sooner find a good sounding room and mic the sound of the amp in the room than record it in a dry room and add the digital ice age reverb. U can do some cool tricks w/ convolution reverbs, but it still ends up messing w/ the natural beauty of the sound of the amp itself.
    ach, it's all smoke and mirrors anywho.

i like the super 100 clip too.
    i'd rather that it was a bit less 'processed', tho'. the reverb tail that U can hear at about ten seconds really shows how much juice is on the signal that isn't the amp.

i wouldn't make any generalisations about the bruno being more aggressive and the bludo being mellower. i think brandon might be following the lead of HAD, himself, and building each amp on a 'geared to the player' basis. there's nothing remotely mellow about my amp and i'm not sure the amp would be playable if it were any more touch sensitive. i love having all that expression available at my fingertips, but it's downright freaky to be able to differentiate the chirp from the different plectra i use (ironwood, american silver quarter, agate, quartz, these freaky dugain shaped picks that board member, crissh, made out of metal) w/ such ease and alacrity.
    it's possible to dial some of the mellowness in by using the 'jazz' switch and boosting the bass a bit, tho'.

i'd love to be able to play that super 100 some day. danged if it doesn't exceed my $5K limit for an amp, tho'.

i've been pondering the idea of time sharing amps.
    sure, i've exchanged amps w/ colleagues over the years and continue to do so.
    i'm talking about a half dozen ppl throwing in a few $K each and buying some cool amps and then 'sharing' them. honestly, i've almost bought more amps in the last two years than in the previous four decades. thankfully, the 'least good' of them is still avery good amp.

19. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I owned one and it was great and different from a BF Fender. The low end was tighter and the highs were softer. It was a bit more touch sensitive and took pedals better.

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I relistened and I couldn't make a choice between the amps given the fact that there are two different songs/players/rooms/miking technique/backing tracks, etc. I will admit that the Bruno has a clarity that is impressive but it is still harmonically rich. I'd take either amp but then I play a DRRI so what do I know:)