Wow, local shop is REALLLY F***ING me over

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nrvana8775, Sep 5, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

After pestering them for an estimate every single day, they finally gave me one after the work was done...

Total: $320

$25 per pickup installation (Installed two new pickups, and relocated the previous bridge/mid pickups to the mid and neck)
    $55 to block off my floating tremolo
    $55 for a graphite nut
    $10 to re-cut the feiten nut so it fits my asat
    $20 to shave/cut a little bit off the asat pickguard to get a strat pup in the neck position
    $35 for setup
    $10 for strings (I gave them a pack though)
    $40 to wire a bridge-on dpdt and push/pull dpdt

I think that's what they charged me anyway. For sure it cost $110 to block the floating tremolo and cut a graphite nut.

I'm beyond pissed right now, the prices seem absolutely outrageous, especially since I was continually denied an estimate. I'm calling stores around the area to see what they charge on these things, I know there is no way it costs that much. I'm really bothered by the $25 pickup installation, it takes maybe 7 minutes to re-solder them to the tone pot...wtf.

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

WOW! Refuse to pay and never use them again. If they give you **** threaten them(and follow through)by contacting trading standards(the American equivalent).

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Why did you have the work done before they gave you a price?

4. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

285.00 seems a bit high And strings should be included in setup. frankly they should have given yo a package deal for all the work

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I've had them do work before, and I know one of the guys who works there from another music store in the past. Both guys are pretty cool, and I expected them to keep me up to date on things.

Outside of music equipment, every company that I've dealt with has called me and told me what is going on and what they needed to do. If there was some unexpected thing that they ran into, they would notify me.

I expected the tech to say, 'Hey, you have a floating bridge, that's going to be $55 instead of the usual $15.' I expected them to call and say, 'Hey, your old nut isn't going to fit so I need to make a new one, here is how much it will cost.'

Even if they didn't do those things, I asked for an estimate every day and never got one. Then they lay the final total on me. I'm more pissed at the $110 for the nut and trem block, that's outrageous.

Do I even have an recourse in this situation? I can't get my guitars until I pay obviously, so I don't know what to do. I can't tell them to undo what they've done.

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Lol, it was $320 with tax. I don't like this store because they overcharge on amps/pedals/guitars and whatnot. But there really isn't any reason for this much of a price increase.

I'm calling other stores to get their estimates and bringing it in to the manager. This is so major crap.

7. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

as for blocking the trem.... just cram a piece of wood in there. As for the pickup change (just did it myself) based on how long it took me i'd say 25 per is fair.

8. LTE

LTE Member

Did you sign anything to authorize the work?

When I ran the guitar repairs at my store, any pricey repair required 10% deposit. I also put notes on the back of the repair ticket about attempted phone calls, messages left, repairs discussed, etc.

Might get the BBB involved.

9. ss396

ss396 Member

service companies are supposed to give you an estimate and get it approved before doing a job of that size. you may be able to get help from your state or local consumer affairs.

10. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

If these are such simple tasks that only take 7 minutes then why didn't you do them yourself. Those all seem like reasonable prices based on the amount of time it takes to do the work. Do you expect them to work for $10 an hour? A good repairman makes at least $60 an hour and when you take into account the time it takes to install something like a new nut or a push pull pot Im not at all surprised that it adds up to that much. The lesson you should learn from this is to do your own repair work aside from maybe nuts and extra technical repairs. Youll save a lot of money that way. None of those prices are out of line though. I charged at least $30 per pickup when I did repair work. Its skilled labor, not someone washing your windows for $5.

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Those prices seem reasonable to me. They are on par and even a bit cheaper than most of my local shops. That being said, they should have told you what it would cost before doing the work.

12. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

Get a couple of written quotes from other places. If the average of those two other quotes is substantially tell them to credit you the difference.

BTW it's your guitar. They can't keep your property if you never signed a contract that specified a price.

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

On a per item basis not so bad BUT when you have the pickguard etc., off for one job do them all and it looks like they stuck to a per item 'flat' rate vs. an hourly job rate.

You might inquire if that is their policy and find out the hourly rate.

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I'm sorry but that doesn't seem too steep as a total. You got a significant amount of work done there. People's time is worth money. That said, by breaking things down, some of the tasks seemed overpriced. Blocking the trem means sticking a piece of wood in there. Other than that, it seems ok to me.

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

The nut is really the only thing on that list that I could see not being able to do myself. Also would you mind pm'ing me the name of the store? I'm from kansas and would like to know who not to use.

16. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Umm....the price you were charged isn't bad at all.....it's pretty reasonable in fact but...Labor is not usually a taxable cost

17. m@2

m@2 Member

that is about what i would pay here in CA, but might be cheaper in other areas, but yah, an estimate prior to work would have been appropriate. I'm not the fastest, but I learned (the hard way... because I was broke) to do a lot of the stuff myself, because guitar shops around here were cleaning up with me : )

18. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Don't think that is too bad. Our shop is $50 pickup installation (total). Graphite Nut install seems a little high. We charge $60 for a bone nut. BUT, $10 to cut a feiten nut seems really cheap. $35 on a setup is REAL cheap, most shops in the chicago area for a professional setup will run $65+, we charge $55, and the $40 wiring is reasonable.

Over all, it looks like decent pricing. My big problem is that they didnt give you a quote, or call you before they did the work. One thing we do is ALWAYS give a quote. And let them know if there is something we cant quote til we get into it, then we will call. OR, we will call if anything else changes. These things should be standard.

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Considering all that it's not bad I don't think...Most of that I could do myself for free... $20 to shave a pickguard? $10 to install strings?

20. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

The pickup thing doesn't bug me, I had them do it as a matter of convenience, so I will eat that one.

The tremolo and nut are what I'm really questioning. Overall, I'm not thrilled about the lack of an estimate considering that I asked for one every day they had the guitars. The cost of the DPDT switches seems silly, considering I provided them with the switches and had my whole wiring assembly from the old guitar setup, all they had to do was copy the wiring and solder it.