WOW MXR 159 tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Funky54, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I know I know its honeymoon...whatever. I dont get that excited that often. Played through it for a couple of hours. It was just smiles forever no matter what I did with the knobs. Freaking cool cool pedal.

I have an Ibanez flying pan 777, a boss pn-2, and have tried many many tremolo pedals.

AH... this thing is it. The panning does everything I wanted and more. The Trem is awesome. I can try (with my playing..caugh caugh) to do some of the great tremolo medium gain sounds from Black Country Communions' first album..has that sound..well it would, if I was Joe and not ..well me. The tone is there. It does a great 50's vibe..its just great.

When I set the panning it is totally controlable. I can set it with just the right climb and decend with the volume raising and lowering between each amp. I can set it to very very subtle or choppy block sounding. Use it after a phaser and HOLLY CRAP thing is cool.

I'm powering it with two 9 volts cause I dont have a 18volt power supply. I'm running it stereo cause..well I havent even tried a amp in mono for like...ever.

Thats my 2 cents. I really didnt find that much in way of reviews or comparisons between it and the pulsar or Trex..but all I know is this is a keeper and i couldnt care less what else is out there. I cant find one bad thing to say about it. There is no annoying down side. I wish all pedals I tried would be this good from the get go.

2. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

very under rated pedal. one of the best tremolos Ive tried. very warm.
    MXR modulation in general is awesome.

3. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

I found it for 130 euros and i'm buying it on Friday, can't tell you how excited i got reading your "super-excited" review about it! :) Especially about its stereo capabilities!

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

Yep. It's the best trem I've ever tried. All good, no bad.

5. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

I just HAD to dig up this thread....

I just got my MXR M159 tremolo and after playing with the knobs for about 15-20 minutes I was LOVING this thing!
    It's a totally awesome,tweak-able as much as needed,warm-sounding tremolo!

My favourite thing about it is probably the "pan" switch which can give you a whole new dimension of sounds when playing in stereo!

As any other tremolo,you need to spend some time with it to start getting usable sounds out of it,but after that,it's just fun all the time.

-Kelf

6. Funky54

Funky54 Member

The instructionscame with three common settings.. they are all three very usable and fantastic. yeah, I'm loving this pedal! Try it after a phase in stereo!!!!

7. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

No phase yet,but when I get one,I will. :)
    (i'm between the hardwire sp-7 and the empress phaser (or the quasar dlx,but dunno about that one yet..I will make a new thread asking some suggestions in the near future!)