Wow!! Never really thought about the difference in tone between straight and slant cabs

Mtnbkr123

Ho-lee krap. I did not appreciate the extent of the difference, although I suspect that Mesas, Oranges, etc. may not necessarily be as pronounced.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
While I have no doubt different cabinets sound different and that slant and straight cabinets do sound different, mic placement can also make a HUGE difference in how the above recordings turned out. If the mic in moved just a fraction of an inch this way or that, or angled this way or that, can dramatically effect the tone that is picked up.

handtrix

2010 Gibson Les paul Custom Black Beauty into a 1975 marshall Super Lead into a bunch of Marshall 1982A and 1982B 4x12 Cabs

This is Johan's take on it. In theory yes, frequencies mater. Jim Marshall designed inception ( or re-design of the Townsend cab ;-) the two cabs to be different. IIRC Later were sold as the FULL sound if the customer wanted or needed extra cab, that instead of opting for two slants.
Johan doesn't state the speakers. Also, in his frequency explanation missed the issue of bass coupling on the floor while his had casters.
Then there's the grillcloth. Large check, small check, Basketweave, cane, pinstripe, S&P, etc.
In mid '70's ('76?) Marshall also passed the cabinet building plans to an American company (?) (with American-Eminence-speakers) to cut costs, called the Big M. That design had a slant baffle within a bottom cab. It also had a different soundpost...

How 'bout the JH100 Jimi cab ?...and what about that anomoly Tall AV cab ?

Multicellular

Very interesting. Never thought about it but not surprised...have seen huge differences when I built and modded bass cabs just around porting.

ledzep618

Meh, this in not even close to an apples to apples comparison unless he moved the same speakers into each cab shell, which I doubt. Celestion speakers varied a lot in the 70's/80's so this is probably more a reflection of what speakers are in the cabs.

That said in my experience there is a slight difference between the two. Bit more bottom end on a straight cab in part to the 1-piece baffle. Better sound dispersion on a slant cab - I prefer slants for this reason.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I think the big differences are the larger volume of a B cab and all the speakers on the same plane which will have some impact on phasing between the top and bottom speakers.

While I love the sound of a Bottom cab, I never use a full stack. I bought a Germino 412 this year and went with an angled cab so I can better hear myself because of the angled top speakers.

No regrets so far and I will be gigging this cab in 2017.

woof*

While I have no doubt different cabinets sound different and that slant and straight cabinets do sound different, mic placement can also make a HUGE difference in how the above recordings turned out. If the mic in moved just a fraction of an inch this way or that, or angled this way or that, can dramatically effect the tone that is picked up.
I have both cabs, the difference is slight....nothing like this vid...more at play here.

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
I have both cabs and both filled with black back 25 watt speakers, same, same. There is a vey audible difference. I prefer the straight, and have swapped my quads of speakers, cause I use the straight 10:1. There is one sound for which I prefer the slant, that'd be the neck pickup of a Stratocaster. But for all else I prefer the rounder blended voice of the straight cab. To my knowledge the straight baffles are angled a couple inches in stock Marshall vintage cabs. And the backs are not perfectly sealed. There are gaps in the backer trim to facilitate installation of the front baffle after Tolex work is complete.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
I own more straight cabs than Slant, 3:1
For me that extra bottom was important thus the choice

BADHAK

I have a 68 straight cab with 68 '20' watt Greenbacks (and the baffle is indeed slightly slanted) and a 78 A cab that did have Blackback 30 watters (now has V30's on bottom )
Compared them many times and I would say the differences are more speaker than construction, but it's impossible for me to say how much.

woof*

I have a 68 straight cab with 68 '20' watt Greenbacks (and the baffle is indeed slightly slanted) and a 78 A cab that did have Blackback 30 watters (now has V30's on bottom )
Compared them many times and I would say the differences are more speaker than construction, but it's impossible for me to say how much.
Its certainly not whats being demoed in that video

rstites

I have slanted and straight cabs from the same year with the same speakers. They sound different. How much of that is cab style and how much is speaker wear /aging I wouldn't know.

highrise

In my experience the straight cabs emphasize the lower mids while the slant cabs emphasize the upper ones.

Geetarpicker

I've owned 8 Marshall cabs, 4 slants and 4 straights. Half of them late 60s basket weaves, the others slightly later. My favorite is a basket weave slant. In that cab are an original set of '71 era G12Ms. As an experiment I tried these same speakers in two different similar era straight cabs, and oddly the low end was actually thinner. For some reason my fullest sounding box is a slant, and even the same speakers don't sound as full in a straight. I've noticed my favorite slant cab is a bit heavier than all of them, seems to have some heavier plywood though obviously the thickness is standard. Point is some boxes can simply sound better and fuller, and in my case my '68 slant wins.

soundboy57

This is actually a pretty decent comparison vid from Johan.
Both cabs are model 1982, from the same year, so they should have the same G12H Celestions. They sound like it to me.
The tone differences are consistant with what I have always heard from each type, as well.
The slant has better dispersion, that is why I always used one live. But I prefer the more focused
sound from a straight cab, The low mids and overall balance is nicer.
When you close mic them, the differences pretty much don't matter.
I have had dozens of cabs. I still have B cabs from 1964, 1967, and 1971 with original speakers.
The best sounding grill cloth is pinstripe, followed by basketweave. You can actually use the treble
and presence controls with these cabs. The checkerboard and black grill cabs are WAY crisper no matter
the speaker installed.

I would take either one, A or B, if the speakers are still healthy, they can both sound great....but I prefer the B cabs, especially the vintage ones, which are much harder to come by, and I like the looks of them :)

My two cents.

64%2012.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom