1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wow! Old Celestion GB RI's Sound Really Congested in the Mids!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by grantford, Feb 14, 2008.

1. grantford

grantford Member

Just making a comment on my recent findings. The 25W RI's I have had for 2+ years sounded great, but the G12H30 RI's and G12M25 Blackbacks I now have sound so much more detailed and defined. Especially in the mids.

You never notice it if you just use the 25W Greenback RI's. I was using these exclusively for 2+ years. Once I got a few other speaker types to A/B with them I was surprised.

Anybody else think these are stuffy and boxy sounding? I'm just making conversation here, lol:JAM

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Boxy and honky sounding to a degree. They were one of the better speakers in my massive A-B Celestion speaker blowout test 07.

3. Free

Free Member

Where's the test link, Doctor? I'd like to check that out.

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

I didn't publish anything on it. This was a Saturday screwing around with the amps in the living room thing. :)

I had 2 identical speaker cabs and loaded different speakers in them weeding them out worst to best. Test was using a Mesa MkIII clean channel and a JCM800 for the crunchy channel and an AB switch between cabs.

The speakers were: ( and I realize the recones are not a valid part of the test, but tested them anyway )

Original cone G12-65
    Reconed G12-65
    Reconed 1973 G12M 25W
    Heritage G12M 20W
    English G12M 25W
    Chinese G12M 25W
    English Vintage 30s
    Chinese G12H30s
    Heritage G12H30s
    Mesa Black Shadows MC90
    English Celestion G12H80
    EVM12L

I thought I would end up liking the 20W greenback Heritage and the G12H30 Heritage speakers, but I was WRONG. I also thought I would like the G12-65, but they sounded like crap.... very disappointing.

The speakers that I thought had the best control and clarity were both the Chinese and English 25W Greenbacks and also ( to my surprise ) the Vintage 30s. ( I soo wanted to like the G12H30s, but they just didn't stand out ).

Honorable mentions are the MC90s and the EVM12L !

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

By the way, I just put a Celestion Blue in replacement of a generic no-name speaker (Rola? Jensen? who knows) and it was a great improvement, cleaned up those muddy mids like you wouldn't believe - without sounding scooped. Damn thing is almost chimey, and that's from a "brown" amp. Kudos, and you should try these Tweedbucket!

6. grantford

grantford Member

That's interesting. Were all your speaker specimens really, really broken in? I did not like the RI G12H30's until they were pummeled for hours. The blackbacks I have are almost perfect.

I wish I could magically find some NOS vintage breenbacks to see what they were like when new!

7. Free

Free Member

Great test - very interesting. I really like my RI Greenbacks (G12M25) too and have always come back to them upon auditioning other speakers. Nice to hear how they stood up to that imposing lineup ;)...

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

My tests,using many of the same speakers and some others, took over three years and my results came out a lot different than yours. It just goes to show that we all have different ears and tastes.

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

My only experience was in a store when I was buying a Vintage Marshall 4x12.

I wanted the vintage cab, but it was about $1300 with original greenbacks... I looked around and found a newer, but used marshall cab with the reissue speakers.

I sat down with a late 70's JMP and did an A/B between the two for about a half hour.

i didn't need that long though. The reissues were FAR from the tone of the original. The Vintage cab had a transparency to all the frequencies while the reissues sounded congested.

We talk about speaker break-in alot around here, but from my personal experiences, break-in can only make a good speaker even better. But I've never had it make a poor sounding speaker suddenly magical.

10. grantford

grantford Member

These were EXACTLY my findings. Thing is I didn't realize this was true until I got around to really a/b-ing different "greenback" style speakers. Everything I have here is really, really broken in. The greenback 25W RI's are congected and muffled in the mids.

I know, I know, I was shocked too. I was a die hard fan of these speakers until recently:JAM

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

That could be part of it. The Heritage and the Chinese G12H30s probably only had less than 40 hours on them .... I am certain they are still stiff. From what I heard, the G12H is one of the best speakers going, but they just didn't stand out as being superior in my little test.

Well, I agree, time will sort it all out ..... plus giving the speakers plenty of time to break in is a good thing. :BEER

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

Right On!

I found that checking out a bunch of different speakers with different cabs and amp was time well spent. I have a much better understanding now of what to expect from different styles and models of speakers. I have heard amps that went from so, so to outstanding by simply swapping the speakers. I have had amps get twice as loud by swapping speakers. I have a much better idea of what compression means, what speakers breaking up or staying clean can do to or for your sound. I know that cabs can make as much or more difference than the speakers that are in them. I know better how to make the most of whatever I have to work with and at least have a clue as to what way to go to get the sound I want, etc, etc, etc. The best thing is that I feel that I can trust my ears.

13. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I have a couple of English greenbacks and a Chinese greenback. I have to say, the Chinese sounds better. Go figure.