Wow - scored a 1957 Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WordMan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. WordMan

WordMan Member

I am still kind of reeling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazing. Lighter than most Tele’s I have played – just over 7 pounds. If it weren’t for the two wear marks on either side of the lower bout and a minor headstock wing repair, it looks brand new – brand spankin’ new. I had no idea it would be in such amazing condition. The neck carve is perfect – just like my ’73 BB Custom Reissue – big, but fits in my hand perfectly and surprisingly fast for a big-necked guitar. Very resonant body – sounds loud and tuneful unplugged.
    Huge kudos to David Brass of Fretted Americana - His ability to work with me, his reputation for having quality guitars and everything about the process with him was just perfect - I can't recommend him highly enough.

Now I have to figure out what to name her!

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

David and his wife are awesome to deal with. Very nice English couple and amazing collection of guitars. We met them at the Philly show a few years back and they told us that we were welcome to come spend some time with them in Cali when we got back out there. I think you should name her "Top Brass". Enjoy-makes me jealous even though I have a 2006 VOS version of that guitar-the real deal is still much cooler.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Wow - lovely. I have a '56 TV Special w/ a very nice headstock repair but otherwise in great condition, but yours is freakin amazing!

Dana O.

4. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

You have to just give us a ballpark number of the price!

5. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

WOW. Save for the two rubbed spots, that thing is stupid clean. I salute you!

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

7. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

8. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Dang that's sharp.
    How does a guitar get two very extreme rub marks like that with nary a mark on the rest of it though?

-e.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

That is a great score!!! Congrats!!
    Man I am starting to want one of those. I do have a P90 deficit in my collection! If you don't mind my asking, what did that set you back? If you'd rather not say, that's OK. I am probably doomed for a RI anyway. But I'd love to get a 1955 something for my collection. A cool guitar the same age as me would be great! And I say that as I keep thinking of the 2 (yes two) 1955 Strats I had at about 16 years old! :(

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's being carried in a cheap case - possibly the original, they were made of pressed cardboard (mostly with fake alligator-skin print if I remember right) with an ill-fitting lid and very flimsy latches. The catches pop open, the lid follows, the guitar flips on the ground and bounces twice, once on each edge of the body.

Or something like that. The same thing very nearly happened to a '61 J45 I had while I was walking down Princes Street in Edinburgh the day I bought it :). Somehow I manage to catch it before it came right out of the case.

Have a look at many old Nationals - including Mark Knopfler's one on the cover of Brothers In Arms - and you can see the same sort of damage, their cases were notorious for it.

11. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Precisely, it's happened to me as a youngster. My guitar instructor politely told me to carry it with the lid facing my body. It tried to pop out a time or two again and I was able to block it and save it from coming out. :AOK

Beautiful guitar btw. SC Specials are my favorite.

12. WordMan

WordMan Member

Coming from a person with your username, I have to take that as a compliment!! ;)

As for the wear - not sure. The one where your arm rests seems self-evident as just play wear, the only issue there is that the rest of the guitar is so damn cherry. As for the other spot below the controls, David at Fretted Americana thought it had some damage (like John Phillips was thinking?) that was sanded out.

Either way - I just got home and plugged it in - through a Tweed it was rich and amazing; through my boutique Marshall-y sounding amp, it had the P-90 grind like nobody's business. Just wow.

13. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Congrats , LP Specials are truly underrated and excellant guitars .....enjoy ! Meet it's brother.
    [​IMG]

14. emjee

emjee Member

I saw a refin just like that one at the Marin Guitar Show last weekend-
    for 8K!

Mg

15. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yep, I'd be looking at a RI LOL

16. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

whooooooaaaa. that's seriously my dream guitar man!

17. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Out of sheer envy, I hate you!

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've always been a Fender guy but lately I've been real curious about these. This one is exceptionally nice.

Congratulations!

19. WordMan

WordMan Member

Thanks - and it's funny about being a Fender guy. Obviously the neck scale is different, etc., but there is something about this guitar that feels very Tele. It is very light, has the squared edges with no contouring and is just a straight ahead, plug in and go guitar. It's single coils are obviously hotter, but it seems like it is the Tele of Gibsons, if that makes any sense. And lordy you should hear it through a Tweed...

But I have to say one thing - anyone who scoffs and says that 'old wood' doesn't matter is kidding themselves. Unplugged this guitar sounds unlike any new guitars I've heard. It is very, very loud, but more importantly, the notes have character, a richness that is plain as day. If someone is using super-hot pickups through a lot of effects and an amp that isn't very touch dynamic, sure, it wouldn't matter - you couldn't hear it. But this is pretty damn obvious - it is like saying $100 wine doesn't matter and then having a glass of truly top-tier stuff. I may not know the fancy wine-words to use, but I can sure tell it is in a whole 'nother league than than stuff I normally drink...

20. jetlag

jetlag Member

I know what you mean. I own a '56 goldtop and was looking for a backup. A buddy loaned my his '57 special to try for a while. I couldn't get over how much MORE it sounded like a tele than a les paul. I really thought it's tone would be close to a P90 goldtop, but it wasn't. I was like a tele with P90s. Cool in it's own way, but not what I wanted. Nice guitar, nice score. Congrads.