Wow, sounds so good without pedals! Is a buffer the answer?? Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by straticus, Jan 25, 2006.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I was recording some rhythm tracks with my band a few days ago and, because they were just rhythm tracks I went straight in to the amp sans pedal board. Man, it sounded incredible! The difference was pretty amazing. It's like a blanket was removed from my speaker cab. I use good cables, George L's, so I don't think that's the problem. All of my pedals are true bypass except for the Line 6 Constrictor. My signal path is guitar > Picture Wah > Mojo Vibe > Dyna Ranger > Constrictor > Fat Boost > DL4 > Strobo Stomp > amp.

I've read threads about this stuff before but I forget what the fix is. Would a buffer help? What about the VHT unit, sorry the name escaped me right now. Is it Valveulator?? Any other buffers or ideas? Man, I gotta get that sound ........... but I need those pedals.:cool:

peace ........... BC

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

All it takes is one. It could be the Line 6.

I have a Vox 847 wah that makes my rig sound HORRID. The difference with that one is more dramatic than any other non-true bypass pedal I've tried.

The Valveulator is the power supply/buffer by VHT that you're thinking of.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

4. erksin

erksin Member

I think a buffer could help you out a lot - it did me. I am running one more box than you, all T/B FWIW...

I bought an Axess BS-2 Buffer/Splitter, worked GREAT - lifted that blanket right off my amp. It's small, can split your signal to another amp, but most of all the buffer sounds VERY nice. I won't go as far as to say it sounds like you're plugging straight into the amp, but it's very close.

I've also had good results with the buffers in a Hotcake and a LR Baggs Para DI - didn't care for the HC's OD and the Baggs took up too much space on my board. The Axess is about the size of a MXR pedal (might be a little smaller) and slid right underneath my 2nd tier shelf. Great unit, IMO.

5. el34power

el34power Member

Somekind of an effects looper...like a loooper will cure that. You can order one with a tuner out and so on. I have a 4 loooper, the only drawback is that the switches "pops" once in a while, i haven't had time to investigate or email David...You could also make your own...

6. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Question for anyone- would an RC Boost set with eq flat and unity gain (internal and output) serve ok as a buffer? How about a Barber Tonepress that is on all the time? Thanks,

gb

7. FastGoKart

FastGoKart Member

Get a BS-2 from Mario, and put it as close to your guitar as possible, but behind any pedals like wah, or fuzz, that don't seem to like the buffer (you just have to experiment with them). It will really help to keep your tone fat and strong on the way to your amp!

I love mine! As an added bonus you will get a tuner out (mine goes into Strobostomp) and an isolated out with phase switch. It is a great tool to have around at the very least, and at the best it is essential if you are running alot of cable or pedals.

Tom

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

I keep my twin60 on all the time to "cure" this.
    Other side is my solo boost, so it does come in handy.
    I had a Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso before, that I left on all the time as well. It was quite nice.
    I keep a boost on at the end of my chain, right before the amp.
    Lovepedal makes a really SMALL, dedicated buffer pedal also.

9. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

+1 for the BS-2. Definately improves tone and clarity...

10. cameron

cameron Member

(1) Start with the whole board, then one by one, reduce the number of effects. At what point does the "blanket" go away?

(2) Then try the last pedal that you removed in (1) the as the sole effect in your signal path. If that pedal alone causes the blanket to come back, then that's your culprit.

(3) If the blanket didn't come back in (2) take the shortened no-blanket chain you created in test (1) and add each of the pedals you removed in step (1). Just add one pedal at a time, don't recreate the original chain. If the blanket comes back no matter which single pedal you add to the blanket-free chain from (1), then you've got an overall signal length issue. If only one of the pedals causes the blanket to come back, then that's your culprit. To confirm this, try the putative culprit as the sole effect in the path.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

If your amp has an effects loop, try running the Line 6 thru there. I am guessing that's what is the tone sucker!

12. Franklin

Franklin Member

If your amp has an effects loop, try running the Line 6 thru there. I am guessing that's what is the tone sucker! If not, you can get a different tuner or a bypass box.

13. Franklin

Franklin Member

If your amp has an effects loop, try running the Line 6 thru there. I am guessing that's what is the tone sucker! If not, you can get a different delay or a looper.

14. drolling

drolling Member

I've never heard anything that sounds quite like a good guitar plugged into a tube amp. I use mainly true-bypass pedals, but even the best cables & connectors will load down your signal enough to change the sound. Throwing a buffered pedal into the mix can help, as can adding a booster/EQ pedal to the end of your chain.

But I'll second the suggestion to test all your effects seperately, then together. And, like some posters, I suspect the DL-4's the worst offender. I had one, and it definitely altered my guitar's dry tone.

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

I tried the RC boost and didn't care for it, sounded kind of cold to me. A pedal like the Catalinbread Super Chili Pecoso or the Sex Drive sound more musical, Sean at Lovepedal makes a pure buffer pedal for cheap. Also the looper is a good suggestion, if you use high-quality guitar cables and a loop box you will lose very little signal.

16. playon

playon Supporting Member

I tried the RC Booster and didn't care for it at all, sounded kind of "cold" to me. A great pedal is the Durham Electronics Sex Drive, it can be used as a buffer and/or as a clean boost. The Super Chili Pecoso is also excellent. You could also try the loop suggestion, if you use top quality cables and a loop box you won't lose much.[/

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Try a Boss or Ibanez box at the front of the chain. They can act as buffers, too.

18. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I'll try testing the pedals one at a time to see if I can locate the worst offender. The problem is that I need and use each one of these pedals. They've all become a part of my sound. I guess I could get another delay but I use the swell feature on the DL4 in a couple of our songs so ........

But, I've done a little more checking around and it looks like the Valvulator gets real high marks. So there's probably one out there somewhere with my name on it.:)

19. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Don't want to hi-jack here but I am have kind of the same questions.
    I have a COT50 that I like to put first just because is has no AC tap.
    I would really like to put my Boss TU-2 tuner last in line.
    Usually I go COT, tuner, OD,wah, H20,Boss Trem.
    I think I would like to tune last. Do I get in benefit or harm putting the tuners buffered circuit last?
    Thanks.

20. playon

playon Supporting Member

I would put it last in the chain...