Wow! SR-71 Blackbird

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Go Cat Go!!, May 30, 2015.

1. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

phoenix 7, lousyatit, Jerry and 3 others like this.
  2. clarkram

clarkram Member

So many amazing things about that aircraft. I remember reading somewhere that it went from concept on the drawing board to flying prototype in under 3 years , now that is amazing.

3. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

4. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

And probably designed by guys with slide rules. That was a great read. Thanks!

5. ProfG

ProfG Member

Yeah, when I was a kid, that was my favorite military aircraft in "The World Book Encyclopedia." Cool plane.

6. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

I knew some of the P&W J58 design engineers(now retired) and yes, slide rules, ruled the day.

Here's a J58 in burner at night on a test stand. I could hear them from 15 miles away at night. If you count the shockwave diamonds in the ejecta, that tells you its Mach number.
    [​IMG]

7. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

GREAT article! Thanks for posting, I followed it to this article that talks about the "spikes" referenced in the pilots article. Now I know what shoving the spikes down means.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-secret-engine-technology-that-made-the-sr-71-the-fa-1673510951

I had the dubious honor of flying under the infamous line of death in my naval career and got lit up as well....but not launched on thank goodness as I was in a P-3 not an SR71, we had a hard time out running a big wheel :)

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Wow - totally kickass!! I have loved that plane since I was a kid. :aok

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

At one point, I met the gentleman who ran the accounting/numbers for that project. His son and I gigged together, and he never tired of talking about his father's role in the program.

11. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I grew up in palmdale, CA and used to see them fly all the time. When I got out of college I worked for Rockwell international on the B1 bomber final assembly program. It was great as a kid being around and getting to see different experimental aircraft. If you ever visit Palmdale, there are a couple of of them on display. They are right next to the Joe Davies air park named after my dad.

hawkeyeinexile likes this.
  12. FFTT

FFTT Member

I wish I had a better camera when I took the shot above, but work gave us the cheapest flip phone they could buy
    with one of the first cell phone cameras.

13. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

My dad worked on the SR71's navigation system. He even had an SR71 coffee cup that had "Mach 3+" stenciled on it that he used at home for many years after the plane became public knowledge. I should have snagged that coffee cup after he passed away...

14. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

15. Peppy

Peppy Member

My dad flew the SR-71 and was briefly the 4200th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing commander...50 years ago next month.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  16. CheckSix

Peppy, that is awesome! is he still with us?

17. Peppy

Peppy Member

Died January 14, 2001.

18. CheckSix

Argghh..!! Sorry to hear this! He was one of 90-some pilots that ever got to fly the Sled. What an achievement! Sorry he's gone.

19. Peppy

Peppy Member

He only flew it twice, as far as I can tell. And? Not when he was associated with the wing. (He was not a 'regular' SR-71 pilot.) Once around 1967 (California) and again in 1969 (out of Kadena).
    Now the U-2? Which he was also the wing commander of...during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He flew that many times and, of course, it was much harder to fly than the SR-71.

Go Cat Go!! likes this.
  20. CheckSix

Very cool anyway! and yes, I know why the U-2 is hard to fly. Most non-pilots wouldn't know. At it's service ceiling, 70,000 - 80,000', the differential between Vne (max airspeed) and Vso (aerodynamic stall) is just a few knots. It's known as "coffin corner". To maintain safe flight for hours, in the slot, is tiring and nerve-wracking. He must have been a damn good pilot!