Wow...the Marshall 2555x Silver Jubilee just keeps flooring me with Awesomeness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hefalump, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

The BEAUTY of the 2555x is it has 3 master volumes (in effect)......so you can actually get it to sound great at any volume once you figure things out.

OF course it , like any marshall, sounds best when things are opened up a bit....LOL

2. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Liquid. Preferably Craft or Selected Eurobeer.

Lauri Vennonen likes this.
  3. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

All this Jub talk is killing me. I’m gonna be ordering a Ceriatone version of either a 1987, 2204, or 2550 circuit. Thought I had settled on the 2204. But there seems to be something equally special about the Jubilee circuit. All three, probably.

Hefalump likes this.
  4. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Life Hack: If you have a 2555x, and I am pretty sure it would apply to the other variants of Jubilee.....YOU can easily dial in a JCM 800, and I don't mean similar, I mean EXACT....using the clean channel with the input gain cranked up and the rhythm clip NOT engaged. So WIN-WIN.

strike3, teofilrocks and blackba like this.
  5. blackba

blackba Member

Totally agree on the output master at 6 and above. I fat fingered my settings earlier, so I corrected that. I will never forget bringing my Silver Jubilee home after my band broke up many years ago. I had been using it loud with the band and had to tame it at home. I first strummed a chord at Band volumes at home. Then I turned down the output master to about 4 and my heart just sunk. Gone was the powerful sound and a somewhat buzzy sound replaced it. Thankfully later someone on the forums suggested that I run the output master high at 6 or 7 and control the volume with the lead master. Once I did this, boom, now I could love the silver jubilee again at a home environment.

Fast forward to today, I have used the Silver jubilee live from time to time, but this time its usually in stereo with my Mesa TA15 set on top boost. They pair together very nicely.

goddot and Hefalump like this.
  6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

And then output volume to taste, I assume? I use a Suhr RL, so volume has no effect on me, lol :p

7. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Thanks. I'll test some hoppy & fruity IPA variants. Will report back.

eigentone and Hefalump like this.
  8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I really think '8' on the output master with the input gain at '7.5' is the JCM 800 2203 sound. It is LOUD, but very worth it.

teofilrocks likes this.
  9. BradleyCB

BradleyCB Member

Played a bit more last night. I might be way off base here, or perhaps my ears were just shot by the end of the day, but I actually liked how the mini Jubilee sounded more with these settings than what I was getting out of my AFD100. Maybe the AFD's power scaling was killing some of the tone (?). I'm glad I took a look at this thread yesterday!

Hefalump likes this.
  10. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Hmmm. I don't know if I agree with this. I have 2 original, single channel JCM800's next to my 2555X... while I can get the 2555X to sound similar and in the zone of an 800, I can't get them to sound exactly the same.

That said, I'll try your settings you posted again this weekend for further testing! (with beer of course)

Hefalump likes this.
  11. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Give it a try. It is in there......Magic happens with BEER.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Trotter and Lauri Vennonen like this.
  12. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Hmm I don't know about that. Love my Jubilee but the clean channel doesn't really get near an 800 imo. Its closer with rhythm clip but it's still smoother and less raw sounding.

13. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Try it with input gain at '8 to 10' and output master at '8' through a good old set of V30's then let me know what ya think.

When I have a spare second I am going to do a shoot-out (BLIND) of several heavy hitting Marshalls....and we shall see....I have three that I bet people will not be able to tell the difference between.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    strike3 likes this.
  14. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Yeah. Things tend to start sounding the same once the tinnitus kicks in. :p

15. ahab

ahab Member

I gigged for years with another guitarist that played a 2555, and he made that amp sound incredible. I always gravitated to the 1959slp back then, but I was always floored by what the 2555 could do.

Hefalump likes this.
  16. louis

louis Supporting Member

I'm considering getting one,
    Is the Jubilee based on a JCM800 circuit wise ?
    Also was wondering why do they only reissued the 100 watts and not the 50 ?

I know that Dave Friedman once said on Tone-Talk that the reissues are built the same as in the 80's but don't remember on which episode he mentioned that !

17. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

My understanding from sources at Marshall is the power section in the 2555x is basically identical to a jcm 800 100 watter. SO THE CLEAN CHANNEL nails JCM 800......od channel has extra gain and differs.in the sense of taking it over the top.

DiPa likes this.
  18. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thanks Hefalump !!......I have another one or two !:D

The effect loop on the original was considered to be
    one of the best because of where it was placed in the circuit, how does yours behave?

And also ,......was the bias good when you got it new or a bit cold ?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 7:19 PM
  19. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Effects loop is one of if not the best marshall made.

Bias was cold. Super awesome bias adjusters on top of chasis with chart and ratings for the numerous different tubes you can run in the 2555x.A monkey could bias this amp....so easy and simple....kudos to Marshall.

eigentone likes this.
  20. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thank you for your input !!.............Appreciate!

Hefalump likes this.