Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by muddy, Jan 20, 2006.

1. muddy

muddy Member

2. onemind

onemind Member

If the blue bars are m meters you can sign me up now.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Oh yeah! Between this and the new mac book, it might be time for me to rebuild.

4. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

5. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

If only it had a MIDI in/out port or two on the back, it would be a complete solution. Sigh...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

oh good lord, that's beautiful.

replace my Firepod? hmm...

7. baald

baald Member

is it just me, or is this apple twisting the knife they stuck in digi's back when they bought emagic? (makes it sound like i'm not all for it. i am. i think digi's hegemony isn't nec. deserved.)

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

what's any of this or the apogee thing have to do with apple?

9. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I'm drooling on my keyboard. Will definatly be looking into this.
    Thanks for the heads up.

10. straticus

straticus Member

Sweet! Very nice looking piece of gear. And coming from Apogee I'm sure it sounds sweet. I just wish it had 8 mic pre's instead of 4. Eight mic pre's is my minimum for an interface.

Except for the FirePod (which I just bought and "so far so good" ........ allthough I'm sure the Apogee sounds better) four mic pre's seems to be the magic number nowadays. Makes no sence to me.:confused:

11. TAVD

Apple had their hand in the design. (And quite possible a few other appendages)

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Since no one's heard it, all the oohing and aaahing is kind of speculative, don'tcha think? Shouldn't we actually use our ears first?

No one knows how the mic preamps sound, no one has heard or tested it....right now, it's just a name on a box.

The I/O is configured almost exactly like the Motu Traveler, BTW.

13. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

For many years I have had a lot of experience with Apogee products and it has all been great. So I guess I am assuming the quality is going to be up to their reputation. And the thing just flat out looks cool. But of course I would check the thing out thouroughly before buying one. You never know what changes occur in a company.

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

Hmmmm, my 733 G4 is ready to be retired to my wife...this may be the new one for me.

[​IMG]

15. straticus

straticus Member

Just noticed that it's Mac only. Oh well. :cool:

16. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

And the Mackie Onyx 400F, except the Hi-Z instrument inputs are on the front.

[​IMG]

17. TAVD

I like that it has fully balanced inserts.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, the price is $2000.

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Hmmph. Spoilsport.

It looks like a cool interface, but not worth pissing my pants over. As has been pointed out, the I/O is similar to other interfaces. The built-in Apogee A/D is very convenient for those (like me) who like Apogee A/D, but the key question is how it ALL sounds. I honestly don't see the big "wow."

What does "balanced inserts" mean? On Digi hardware you can use any of the balanced sends & returns as inserts, so that's not a new concept, but any designated insert jack is always unbalanced, no? It would have to be... unless there's some kind of balanced 2-channel plug.

19. TAVD

Usually a balanced insert bypasses the line amp stage as well as the mic amp stage. I suppose it's a subtle difference but it gives you a direct shot to the next part of the device, the converter in this case. Not only that, it's nice to keep everything the same at the patchbay. If everything had trs jacks, my life would be simpler.

20. muddy

muddy Member

i'll tell you what the big wow is. apogee's a/d/d/a (8 channels!!! & NOT just a/d; THERE'S yer $2,000 RIGHT THERE!), not to mention their EXCELLENT clock, with all those i/o options, 4 of the excellent, transparent mic pre's from their trak2 & mini-me, with 75db of clean gain, and inserts any decent engineer would know how to make use of... no big deal because motu & presonus have the same, or similar configs? :rolleyes: so what's the big diff? GREAT CONVERTERS vs mediocre to krap ones. and for only $2000, this box is a steal! cranesong's spider will run you $6,000-$7,000!!! apogee's OWN 8 channel a/d/d/a units cost thousands of dollars more! and these are 24bit/192mhz! me, i'm sayin' hallelujah!!! :dude:AOK

ml