Wrap Around VS Tune-o-Matic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Last Nerve, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to buy a non-trem guitar to go with my shredder and strat, and I'm wondering what the differences are between these two bridge options.
    Looking for comments on-

-quality (is one inherently "better" than the other?)
    -intonation ability
    -sustain ability

as well as just general experiences. :)

2. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

The wrap around is supposed to give more sustain.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Any other thoughts?
    Does it all come down to personal preference?

4. Griz

Griz Member

Tune-o-matic is less of a hassle re: intonation.

Wrap-around gets slightly better sustain.

PRS makes a wrap-around that has adjustable sections to facilitate proper intonation.

That said, you rarely hear owners of LP Juniors (wrap-around) complaining of bad intonation.

Best of luck. :D

5. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

To me, the wrap-around sounds better and plays better. I like the string attack of the wrap-around. Also, I think strings bend easier with a wrap-around. I can't really say why, but I've had a couple of early SGs with wrap-arounds, and they've been the easiest string bending guitars I've played. Since I play a lot more lead than full-chord work, I consider tone and playability to be more important than perfect intonation. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with me, but I've been sold on wrap-around bridges for quite a while. I think that's one of the playability advantages that PRS has over Gibsons with a tune-o-matic. I really could never understand why '54 Les Paul Re-issues weren't more popular. It's my favorite Les Paul configuration. Early SG Specials with wrap-arounds are monster guitars. But maybe I'm biased?
    Mike
    :)

6. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

I definitely prefer the wraparound because to me the attack feels tighter and quicker whereas the tune-o-matic has a more compressed feel.

As regards intonation there is no difference if you use an adjustable wraparound bridge (Tone Pros AVT-II, Pigtail or the old Quan Badass). The first two sound brighter than the Badass.