• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wrap Around VS Tune-o-Matic

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
I'm getting ready to buy a non-trem guitar to go with my shredder and strat, and I'm wondering what the differences are between these two bridge options.
Looking for comments on-

-quality (is one inherently "better" than the other?)
-intonation ability
-sustain ability

as well as just general experiences. :)

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Any other thoughts?
Does it all come down to personal preference?

Griz

Tune-o-matic is less of a hassle re: intonation.

Wrap-around gets slightly better sustain.

PRS makes a wrap-around that has adjustable sections to facilitate proper intonation.

That said, you rarely hear owners of LP Juniors (wrap-around) complaining of bad intonation.

Best of luck. :D

To me, the wrap-around sounds better and plays better. I like the string attack of the wrap-around. Also, I think strings bend easier with a wrap-around. I can't really say why, but I've had a couple of early SGs with wrap-arounds, and they've been the easiest string bending guitars I've played. Since I play a lot more lead than full-chord work, I consider tone and playability to be more important than perfect intonation. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with me, but I've been sold on wrap-around bridges for quite a while. I think that's one of the playability advantages that PRS has over Gibsons with a tune-o-matic. I really could never understand why '54 Les Paul Re-issues weren't more popular. It's my favorite Les Paul configuration. Early SG Specials with wrap-arounds are monster guitars. But maybe I'm biased?
Mike
:)

I definitely prefer the wraparound because to me the attack feels tighter and quicker whereas the tune-o-matic has a more compressed feel.

As regards intonation there is no difference if you use an adjustable wraparound bridge (Tone Pros AVT-II, Pigtail or the old Quan Badass). The first two sound brighter than the Badass.

Trending Topics