• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Wrap bridge intonation

bbe_rev

Greetings,

I've been considering purchasing a guitar with a wrap bridge, no experience with that type of bridge. How do you set intonation, it looks like it has no moving parts, am I missing something? Does the guitar have to just be made perfect? Attached is an image. Thanks.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
There are grub screws that move each end of the bridge. There are varying levels of precision, when it comes to how in it will be. There are the plain Gibson bridges that are for the close enough crowd, then there are compensated bridges (think PRS), which are usually pretty damn close to perfect, then of course there are the replacement bridges with individual saddle adjustments, if you can't resist. I currently have a PRS wraptail, and a Mojoaxe replacement bridge on SG, both play completely in tune.

auralfeast

Silver Supporting Member
There are small screws on the side of the bridge right behind the posts - allows you to move the treble and bass sides closer or further from the nut. If you move the treble side back, however, the whole bridge will pivot back a bit, so any move will affect all strings.

Dave Weir

Gold Supporting Member
People use individual string intonation to fix other problems.
If the nut is cut properly, very little to no relief, and medium or low action, the one piece bridge works fine with most sets of strings.
If I set up a guitar and it doesn’t have this pattern, I assume something is wrong.

Tony Done

They have grub screws for the posts, and some have adjsutable saddles. If you get one with fixed saddles, be sure it suits your 3rd string type, plain or wound, they have very different in intonation settings.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Vintage guitar?The 4&2 stepped pattern on old LP Juniors, SGs, Firebirds etc. was made to work with a wound third string.

IAE

It’s quite simple. However, string gauge plays a part as does the type of built in compensation. If it’s vintage it assumes you’ll be using would thirds. If it’s modern it would be made for 3 wound 3 plain.

The thicker the gauge the harder it will be to intonate - the bridge must move back a little via the two hex screws. That said, I use 13-56 (4 wound 2 plain) on Les Paul wraparounds without compensation and I get them very close to perfect.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I had a wrap around bridge for my 61 SG Special and could never get it to intonate properly. Since then I have had an irrational bias against the idea and have gone with tailpiece and adjustomatic style bridges.

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
I have 2 guitars with a wrap-around, my cheap bolt-on Epi LP Special P90 and my PRS S2 Singlecut. Both intonate better than my playing requires.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom