wraparound bridge question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by markos, May 8, 2016.

1. markos

markos Member

hi, my name is markos and Im new here . I stumbled across another thread about bridges but wanted to ask a specific question, so sorry in advance for the new thread,

im having a guitar built for me and and although im really wanting the simplicity of just a wraparound bridge, I believe they are fine for every day use but the intonation isn't spot on. im sure these bridges wouldn't have been used if the intonation was well off ,
    please can anyone shed some light on how "off" the intonation is with just a bar bridge,
    may I also add that the bar bridge potentially being used isnt compensated,

lastly , I still do have the choice of either a tunomatic, a compensated bar bridge or a adjustable,

please can I have your thoughts as I need to make my decision by tomorrow

cheers

markos

2. ibis

ibis Member

I can only help in the sense I have a PRS stop bridge that functions great.
    Personally, I would consider a bridge that has some form of compensation but have heard plenty of guitars rocked with a plain stop bar that sounded just fine and gave off a really badass vibe! If the guitar is a stripped down simple rawk machine I'd relish a simple bar bur if it were more sophisticated, perhaps I'd choose an intonatable one like the Schaller.

Let us know what you decide!

3. markos

markos Member

Hi . Thanks for your reply. This machine is a raw wood simple guitar. So plain it almost looks boring but im loving that look. So thats why im wanting the bar bridge and nothing else but i end up to the same predicament. The guitar is a gordon smith made here in the UK. Almost all of their guitars sport the bar bridge so thats gotta be saying something. But the option of other bridges had been put forward and doing so has thrown me into confusion . The man said that the bar bridge is totally fine but if i want perfect intonation then choose something else. I may go for the lightning bar bridge. Thats one they recommended to me. It isn't adjustable but has compensation

4. ibis

ibis Member

Gordon Smiths should have a plain bar!
    The lightning bar caused me problems on a Firebird once, in that the strings would migrate side to side on bends and not return to tune. A plain bar causes the strings to pivot from a point rather than move laterally along the ridge. I ended up putting a Schaller wrap round roller bridge on that FB.
    If I were you I'd use a plain bar or at least a shaped cam bar. But that all depends on the angle your bridge is set at in the first place.
    I've played GS guitars and they are fine with the stock bridge and certainly exude the raw rawk mojo! Good luck with your guitar!

5. markos

markos Member

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm gunna go with my first spec decision and have the bar bridge . Like a said before almost all the smiths ive seen have the bar bridge . Do you no If shaller or lightning bridge would fit the posts of a bar bridge should i change later on?

6. ibis

ibis Member

They should do, or at least come with posts to fit.
    You can also get the GS adjustable bridge unit that fits onto bar posts but you will need the posts lathed a little. I fitted one to an Overwater back in the 90s and the guys at GS had me send in my posts to machine them. They sent them back with the new bridge. Great service! Good bridge BTW.

7. ibis

ibis Member

8. markos

markos Member

Thank you thats what ill do. Ill go with the ever cool looking bar bridge but ill ask if the adjustable bridge fits and if it does ill either buy one or see how i get on with the bar bridge first then get one should i need one. Im pretty confident i won't as they wouldn't have made so many guitars like this in the first place! !!

Cheers and thanks again

ibis likes this.
  9. markos

markos Member

Update

Called smith today . The adjustable gs bridge wont fit the bar bridge posts but the lightning bridge will fit . So i guess thats something to fall back on.

10. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Pigtail and lightning bar require different locations for the posts. Pigtail- the studs are offset in relation to the pickup. Lightning Bar- the studs are more parallel with the pickups. One will not interchange with the other even if the stud layout in terms of distance from each other is identical. Suprised your luthier did not tell you that.

11. markos

markos Member

Thanks for the info. I thought the lightning bridge was very similar to the bar bridge but with compensation just to true it up. So i thought a simple exchange would work. Ill double check what these guys say.

12. Macielj4

Macielj4 Member

If your guitars made right ! That'll be no problem s

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

There are '50's style pigtails compensated for an unwound G. That is still not a Lightning bar. As the actual bars are located in different positions for each era ('50's versus '60's), they are going to intonate very differently. They are not interchangeable. Google "'50's Pigtail" and "Gibson Lightning Bar". You will see what I mean.

14. Danielsguitars

Danielsguitars Member

I used a mojoaxe wraptail with no problems but it has to be well set up
    If its built right it'll be fine.

I'll be using a schaller signum wraptail on a set neck tele next, it's got alot of adjustment and looks great.

15. markos

markos Member

I agree up to a certain point. But if the bridge isn't compensated then regardless to how well built or how precise the bar bridge is fitted, isnt there gunna be even the slightest bit of offness with the intonation? ,,

16. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Got a link to that? I've never seen an intonated Pigtail, only their 'Badass'-inspired bridge (which wants parallel studs).

Lots of people do make what I think you're describing, but I've never heard of Pigtail doing it, nor does such thing seem to appear on their web site.

17. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Member

Mojoaxe has the simplified look but with proper intonation and sounds great.
    As mentioned above, it requires staggered posts that are also offset from the centerline.