Wraparound vs Tremolo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WineCaster, Mar 15, 2015.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Supporting Member

I've been keeping an eye out for a PRS SE EG lately after playing a friends. He has the SSS with wraparound bridge and I truly enjoyed everything about it. I seized an opportunity today to snag one via Guitar Center's used section but it has a Tremolo... it's HSS for anyone that's curious.

Anyway, I'm not a trem user but I am curious and a bit skeptical that perhaps I should've waited for a wraparound model to enter the market because I'm not completely educated on the differences I can expect between the two bridge types.

So my question, what are the differences I can expect to see, feel, and hear between the wraparound bridge and the tremolo unit given both guitars are otherwise the same?

2. Mejis

Mejis Member

Ah, The eternal debate. I think it's pretty subjective... In my case, I have had plenty of both bridge types, and at this point I won't buy a guitar that doesn't have a trem. My reasons are:

- I use it all the time and miss it when it's gone (probably the most important reason really).

- In my experience, if the trem is set up and maintained properly, the negatives disappear. The usual drawbacks people talk about are less sustain and tuning issues... I find that neither is a problem. You just have to stretch your strings well, make sure they're wrapped around the tuning posts properly, lube the nut, etc. The sustain on my trem guitars has never been noticeably different than on my stoptails.

Overall trems are a bit more finicky, but worth having if you like the sound whatsoever (just IMO as always).

3. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I dislike the standard PRS wraparound bridges primarily because you can't fine-tune the intonation. If you play in E standard with 10-46 strings and a "normal" amount of neck relief, it probably won't be an issue, but if you deviate on any of those vectors...