wraptail vs TOM P90 special question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, May 22, 2020.

1. dazco

dazco Member

In general with all else being equal, would I be correct to assume a TOM would sound and feel more smooth, compressed and mid focused while the wraptail version less compressed and more towards that fender open chimey sound? (not saying sound like fender, just more towards that kind of dynamic)

2. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

To me the big difference in a wraparound and a TOM with stop bar is in the feel of playing the guitar. If there's a tonal difference between the two, it's small enough that I haven't noticed...although it's hard to really do a fair comparison, since you can't easily swap between the two bridges on the same guitar. But still, I haven't found what you're assuming to be true based on my experience.

shane8 likes this.
  3. Guppie

Guppie Member

No, it's all about the pickups.
    Put an overwound p90 in a guitar with a wraparound and it will sound mid focused. If you want chimey go with underwound.
    All the rest might help a bit but the pickup is 80% if you core sound. What the other 20% is is debatable and might vary with each guitar.

HTSMetal likes this.
  4. monty

monty Member

Have had both, 2 with the wraparound and one with a TOM, and I found what you said to be true. Again, just true for the ones I have. The one with the TOM IIRC is the same model you used to own if that helps for reference.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I can use my R4 and R7 as a reference point here.

To me (and this seems contrary to what most people say about a wraptail) the R4 is stiffer playing then the TOM. It also adds a certain zing and directness, less parts, one point of contact.
    I've always described the R4 as a LP that is 20% telecaster, it is an interesting combination and I prefer the wraptail with the P-90's.
    I am also using underwound Wolfetone's in it and it does that two pickup chimey thing extremely well.

The other thing to consider is how sensitive you are to intonation. If you need it precise, you may want to go with a TOM, it all depends on the player/style, etc.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Yes, u do recall correctly ! And i am looking at the new Epi LP special vs buying another like i used to have. I loved that guitar, but the new epi is 1/2 the cost new of what one like i had would cost me used, plus i'm trying to figure out if i would prefer it due to the wraptail. While i loved my gibson, it was more of that thick mid and compressed sort of tone than what i like best. I DO like that and wish i could have both but if i'm only gonna have one i would prefer the other sound i described with a more open uncompressed tone and clear crunchy mids. I love gibsons but being a lifelong fender guy i want the gibson experience but with just enough fender in it so that i don't end up letting it sit for long periods. I posted this because i have one like i had on the line at a price i can swing but it could be sold b4 i have a chance to try the epi due to it being backordered with this damn virus. By the time it's in stock at GC (need that trial period) and i have a chance to try and return it if need be the gibson will likely be sold. If i buy that now i will forever be questioning if i would have been better off with the epi.

7. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Wraptails tend to have a little bit of 'zing' that TOM setups don't. Sorry, don't know how else to describe it.

8. dazco

dazco Member

Thats is exactly what i wanted to hear, tho of course what you hear and what i do could be different. But it's a tele i am looking to replace with this and not because i don't like teles. Just that i want a gibson that doesn't leave me feeling that i need to bring a tele too. 2 guitars is all i want to bring with me and i want the gibson experience but with enough zing as u call it (perfect description) to take the tele's place and my #1 strat will be the fender side of things as always. I think the best way to describe what i want from a special is i want the gibson feel and sound but with a sound that is a bit closer to a tele in order that the touch allows me to play it more like a fender due to the fact my whole life i have developed my style on fenders. I find when i play gibsons they don't lend themselves to my touch because of that, so etting a bit closer to a tele ould be perfect. Like i said above tho, i DO love the other special tone i had in the TOM special i sold. But i can't afford to have multiple specials nor do i want a huge stable of guitars. Been there and it just gets to be too confusing for me.

Again, perfect description of what i want.

9. westmike

westmike Silver Supporting Member

I have had 2 LP Specials, a 2019 w/ a TOM and a mahogany neck and a 2020 w/ a wraptail with a maple neck. They sounded different but I would say the bridges had less to do with it than body weight, pickups and neck woods. They both "felt" to me like a Gibson-scaled axe as far as playability. I wonder if there would be much tonal difference in switching bridges on the same guitar if that were possible - at least for my lousy ears. I recently took a Les Trem off a guitar and put a TOM on it and I'll be damned if I can hear a difference - and I recorded both bridges thru the same amp setup. So, I would think that the style of bridge on a LP Special type guitar would be just one factor in the tone of a specific guitar - which leaves it up to personal preferences and whether you like the sound of that particular guitar.

Between the two LP Specials I have had, I would say the 2020 wraptail is the more Fender-sounding guitar.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Well, I think the maple top helps with the "zing factor" as well, but the wrap and the single coils (P90's) will get you damn close, reverse wound is nice too for the middle position.
    I hear you, I never brought more than 2 guitars to a gig, always had a backup, just in case.
    P-90's are unique too, definitely have that single coil non compressed sound, but they have their own thing going on, killer through a tweed deluxe!

monty likes this.
  11. dazco

dazco Member

[Q
    Talking specials, flat top no maple.

12. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Member

I had a great Custom Shop SG Special (small 'guard) and played it for several years, but even though it had been set-up, I couldn't get rid of the slight "sitar-ing" effect that wraparounds are known for.

I wish I had held on to the SG Classic I used to have. (TOM)

13. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Other than preferring the TOM for easier intonation and more graceful palm muting, I do not think there's much difference in tone. Humbuckers or P90s - big difference. Other than pickups, each guitar has a mysterious mix of variables that combine to change the timbre.

14. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

For me a wraptail adds immediacy to the tone. It comes on quickly with a strong fundamental sound. A TOM with stoptail has a bit of sympathetic vibration and interplay. The shallower the break angle, or the farther the distance between the bridge and tailpiece, the greater the sympathetic vibration. This removes some of the immediacy so the tone blooms into full strength.

monty and Mr.Hanky like this.
  15. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I'm very skeptical about tonal effects attributable to any differences between the two. There is likely at least a much variation from the pieces of timber that were used in a particular guitar. I like the simple functional look of a wraparound (correctly intonated for either a plain or wound 3rd string!), but I had to replace the one on my old Burny with a ToM because the 13-56 strings I was using were pulling it forwards.

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I would say the OPs description in his first post nailed the difference. I do prefer the wrap (by Mojoaxe) on all mahogany guitars and like both with a maple cap.

17. dazco

dazco Member

Well, after asking this question i got a Epi wraptail P90 special, the new "inspired by gibson" model thats is the same design and the USA gibson TV yellow. I can now say without a doubt, wraptail is just killer ! It's so different from TOM i can't imagine anyone not noticing. I absolutly love the more natural open uncompressed tone with unrivaled beef and cut you head off slice when driven with zero harshness/ice pick. I have been playing it for a few days now practically non stop. It's addictive and inspiring more then any guitar i have owned since i dunno when. This is with little doubt the best design ever for classic rock. TOM....never again. :D

18. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

None of my LPs have the same configuration so, while they sound different, I couldn't tell you how much is from the bridge :dunno