Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian....HOLY SMOKES

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by duaner58, Feb 6, 2012.

1. duaner58

duaner58 Supporting Member

is it a KILLER sounding fuzz! Had a chance to play with one all day on Sat and it was a blast. I have had muffs over the years but none that have sounded this good, touch sensitive, or cleaned up this well!

For my tastes it had the perfect amount of gain.. I find that high gain muffs get lost in the mix within my band but this had just enough bite to it... and the gritty sounds you could pull off..

Just a shockingly good pedal.

2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

This type has always been my favorite muff version. I love it. Having a hard time currently deciding between buying the TFR or a Hoof.

3. duaner58

FWIW I had a hoof and its a really nice sounding muff.... The TFR was so much more though

4. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I have a 3 knob Hoof and a TFR.

The TFR sounds bigger, and it sounds more like a Russian Muff if that's what you want.

The Hoof sounds a bit more distortiony to my ears, and has a forgiving feel to it like a distortion pedal.

both are killer pedals.

5. BlackNight

BlackNight Member

I've used a TFR on bass for a while. It sounds massive.

6. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I loved it but my only gripe was how mid scooped it is... Doesn't help that my amp only has one tone knob...

I either want one with a mids knob or I need an eq pedal... Otherwise it was the perfect gritty massive muff fuzz for me

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

This is pretty much deciding for me Thanks

8. duaner58

I have my amp's mid dial at 2p so I have plenty of mids available and more if desired. I tried going to my other dirt/fuzz pedals (Timmy,OCD, and old non mosfet FD2, analogman sunlion TI/UK) and usually only had them on for a minute before going back to the TFR. Just a really fun pedal.. obviously the other dirtboxes have their function too and can't really be compared to a muff. I will say I boosted the TFR w/ the Timmy on a couple leads and it really opened it up!!

9. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Great pedal! I also have the TFR with Timmy, M5 (w light Tube Drive) or a custom version of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer in pedal form before it. All great on it or just be itself!

10. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I've been wanting to try one of these, but I'm very happy with my Catalinbread Manx.
    I live rams head sounds, and the Manx does it well, but with a boatload of flexibility.

11. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

Yup love mine....Punch it with a rangemaster when you need more clarity, amazing sounds.