Writing Assignment: How To Do This?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Campfired, May 20, 2015.

1. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Recently completed a writing/presentation assignment. My instructor has now suggested as my next assignment, that my study theme is "making points stand out".

Although my title subject has not yet been assigned, I know my source material, and that the presentation will be a 5-minute brief talk from a platform. In the brief 5 minutes, my provided discussion will logically develop the assigned title subject of my talk, and involve use of supporting the study theme.

Given that my study theme is described in detail in our study book, how might you, if given a written assignment, go about serving the purpose of developing a title subject while utilizing the study theme of "making points stand out"?

(Title subject not revealed at this time. Utilizing a "blank check" regards title subject but considering study theme.)

2. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I do a lot of public speaking. My two cents...

I would choose three main points which support the title subject (theme). When starting the presentation, in the opening comments I would mention the three points to be covered. Then develop each point in segments, with logical progression from one to the next. In the conclusion, restate the main points, using them to nail down the theme. If I had a sample theme I could elaborate more. Does this make sense?

Porrig and Average Joe like this.
  3. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I would use this pic as a hook:
    [​IMG]

4. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

This is how I learned to write essays and though it is very simple it proved itself effective many many times

5. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

In addition to the above, find one or two phrases you can go back to several times during the talk, using them to emphasize the elements of the theme. Watch preachers and salesmen, and you'll see them doing this all the time.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

A how not to video...

7. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Thread title says "writing assignment" yet you have described an oral presentation.

Is this an error or were you thinking of help with composing note cards for the presentation?

8. Brian D

Brian D Member

This is a professional answer. Do what he says, and you'll be fine.

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I do a good bit of teaching and this is a solid approach

10. Porrig

Porrig Member

Everything you need is here OP.

11. Campfired

Thank you for providing some timely advice...

So if one works from an outline, it might be possible to state the 3 main points as an introduction, and develop the theme by discussing the 3 points that support the theme.

Sorry if it is not possible for me to to know the theme yet, the assignment actually hasn't been provided yet, just the study point. Just been reading from my study book and looking over my counsel.

Thanks again for your kind words...will be applying this to my presentation soon...

Actually, no error. The writing assignment will eventually be a presentation before an audience. Note cards might work, some use these and sometimes others use written outlines or even entire written presentations. IMHO, best to work with some form of outline and allow for some spontaneity and adjustments as the presentation occurs.

12. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

The process of composing and refining the written is thorough preparation for the oral. I get to know the topic well when doing the research, I write it all out and refine it in a complete written presentation, then make note cards.

When you compose try to have completed drafts days in advance so you can approach them with a fresh mind several times as you refine them. The final should be finished well in advance if possible so you can read through it several times perfecting it.

Have everything available when you are making the oral presentation but by this time you will be quite familiar with the subject, familiar with expressing your ideas about the topic as you will have worked that out in the writing stage, and also have reference notes to trigger your memory for added assistance in case you go blank.

Doing it this way I have been able to run through orals without needing to read anything in front of me. This is especially helpful if you have to discuss the topic with audience members or the instructor throws a few questions at you afterwards. If you have the familiarity with the material you can confidently interact with people.

Good luck.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  13. Campfired

Well put. IMHO, writing and making an oral presentation could be compared to how good preparation is much like making a nice meal for your guests...what ingredients you put into the meal and how well the meal has been prepared makes all the difference....if the meal has been prepared well, the presentation can be delivered with ease.

Only thing is, I don't want my presentation to sound like a jet aircraft flying low overhead with chatter and such. You'd be surprised what a jet aircraft sounds like if the sound system goes awry... and for us it has happened at least once...:stir