Wrong way crash, breathalizers and such

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dog Boy, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

2. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

they test everyone involved in a crash. why wouldnt they?
    he'd probably get a DUI if he failed.
    It could have been a factor.

just because someone drives down the wrong side of the road doesnt give you the right to be drinking and driving.
    In fact the person you want most sober is the guy avoiding the dude driving the wrong way.

3. ESPLTD200FM

ESPLTD200FM Member

So they didn't test the driver of the car? Isn't it suspicion enough that they were traveling the wrong way after leaving a strip club that the car's driver should have been tested? Cops get away with murder way too often. Unbelievable.

4. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

This has "strange" all over it. A few things don't add up.

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Well of the 4 people in the car, 2 are dead and 2 are in critical condition, I am not sure if they could have actually got any of them to participate in a breathalyzer. Getting a blood test is a little more complicated.

6. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

A good point is raised here that I've often pondered.

Person A is driving negligently and crashed into Person B. It is 100% Person A's fault. They breathalize both of them.

Person A has had nothing to drink, Person B has alcohol in their system (let's say enough to trigger legal action) OR ... let's say they test him on the spot for marijuana (they apparently can do this with swabs now in certain states, though it goes back 12 or 24 hours ... not the 1 or 2 it should based on the duration of the effects of the drug) and he tests positive.

Person B is deemed at fault? I'm by no means encouraging or sympathizing with driving while impaired (100% unacceptable), but is it ethical to deem that person at fault? I'm sure it's more granular than this and less black and white, but something I've always wondered about.​

Sorry to derail thread.

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

say what?

8. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

I would think that the truck driver would (IMO should!) get a DUI, even if he wasn't found to be even partially at fault for the accident. The fact that the accident was the other driver's fault doesn't negate the fact that he was DUI.

That said, perhaps he could've avoided it if he'd been sober.

9. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

" If they find reasonable suspicion that the men (edit--the occupants of the CAR) were drinking, they'll get a warrant to test their blood samples for alcohol, Royster said."

I'd think the circumstances of the crash are grounds for 'reasonable suspicion'?

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

That is not how it works. If person A is at fault, then they are at fault, at best the fact that Person B was intoxicated would be a mitigating factor, then it depends on the state law as it pertains to apportionment of liability and comparative negligence.

11. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

exactly but apparently this is controversial here lol

12. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

The dead and critically injured people tend to find it hard to blow into a breathalyser.

I notice they say they will get a warrant for blood tests if there is suspicion they were drinking. If the samples haven't already been taken from the injured that might be pretty pointless, but surely being involved in a fatal head on collision is more than enough evidence of possible drinking to warrant a blood test already?

13. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

There seems to have been an uptick on wrong-way crashes in my area recently. Wondering if it's time to install these on exit ramps:

[​IMG]

14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Near us a few years ago, some wildly drunk underage girls went down a highway the wrong way and crashed into one or two tractor trailers, dying in a fiery crash. You would have been surprised at the outcry against the tractor trailer drivers for driving side by side and not leaving enough space for the drunk moronic criminals to slip by. I was shocked at the people defending the criminal girls, rather than pitying them for their poor choices.

15. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. Valus

Valus Member

Assuming the tractor trailer driver held a CDL, drug and alcohol testing is required in an accident involving a fatality, IIRC.

17. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Testing should be mandatory for any crash, not just fatal ones. Ditto a forensic examination on any cellphones to determine if texting was a factor.

If that's the whole of the story that's absurd.

18. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

law is the law. just because he was in a head-on crash doesnt excuse him from dui....i dont think the cops should just forget about it if he fails the blood test
    even if they do somehow let it slide out of pity the people he drives for wont I bet

19. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I'm pretty sure anyone agrees with that...

Its this that is kinda strange

I think the guy you want MOST SOBER is the guy GOING DOWN THE WRONG WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE...

Thanks for letting me help.