• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

WTB a new amp. 3 to choose from

Classic09

I'm officially in the market to buy a new amp and have reduced the number to:

Budda SD30 series 2
Budda SD45 series 2
Bogna Shiva EL34

I'm edging towards one of the Buddas, particularly the SD45 however I've read a lot of comments about these amps being LOUD. How loud are they really and how would the SD30 stand up to my other guitarists 100w Peavey? Would the SD45 be the better option?

jjhaller

Silver Supporting Member
I own a series 1 SD-30, and recently played a SD-45. The 30 is way more usable IMO. The 45 was really loud at the lowest volume setting. Mind you this was in the amp room of a music store, so not the best test environment. I heard a pronounced upper midrange in the 45, almost barky. The 30 is a smoother sounding amp.

The 30 is plenty loud, but is gentler at lower volumes. I've never had an issue keeping up with another guitar player.

One thing to keep in mind is how "clean" you want your cleans to be. The 30 won't do big bottle cleans like the other two amps you've listed. There is going to be a little hair with the 30. Nothing that will get in the way, I can still pull off clean funk tones with a humbucker.

reddog112

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned and gigged all three.....the SD30 is plenty loud and I used that for 3 years of gigging. I used a 1x12 Budda cab with it and it was killer. The SD45 has that "bigger body" girth going on, but I couldnt even crack the master open. I used an attenuator with it, but it was a hassle. The SD18 is amazing as long as you dont care about prisitine cleans (like jjhaller mentioned)

I would get the SD30, for me it was the right combination of power and headroom. I used to love the clean channel driven a little, a GREAT tone. Also be prepared to buy new EL84's twice a year, as the Buddas eats them for lunch. I thought the Sovteks sounded awesome (as did Jeff Bober) and they are cheap, but they get worked in the SD circuit

reddog112

Gold Supporting Member
To add to previous post, I am a lover of the Bogner also, but a used pre-Peavy Budda is one of the best amp deals going. The Budda is also light as a feather with a great effect loop.....

jjhaller

Silver Supporting Member
To add to previous post, I am a lover of the Bogner also, but a used pre-Peavy Budda is one of the best amp deals going. The Budda is also light as a feather with a great effect loop.....
Seriously, It's ridiculous how low the early Buddas are selling for these days. Best used amp bargain out there.

+1 on the Sovteks. They rock in that amp. The JJ's sound decent at low volumes, but can't hold it together at gigging volume, they get mushy.

Classic09

I have owned and gigged all three.....the SD30 is plenty loud and I used that for 3 years of gigging. I used a 1x12 Budda cab with it and it was killer. The SD45 has that "bigger body" girth going on, but I couldnt even crack the master open. I used an attenuator with it, but it was a hassle. The SD18 is amazing as long as you dont care about prisitine cleans (like jjhaller mentioned)

I would get the SD30, for me it was the right combination of power and headroom.
Are you able to share more about the volume of the SD45? Where were you able to get the Master volume up to? How was the signal degredation?

Trending Topics