WTF?!? Fender Silverface Market

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by claytushaywood, Feb 3, 2015.

1. claytushaywood

claytushaywood Member

I havent looked in a while but I was thinking the other day that I'd really like to pickup and old silverface fender bassman 50 head like I had many years ago. So I went to ebay and discovered that people now believe their silverface fenders are worth 5x what they were just 8 years ago. How is this possible? with fender's new line of Custom 68 Silverface amps at pretty reasonable prices? Why would anyone think a master volume ultra linear pro reverb is worth more than $500??? I guess people dont understand that a lot of these silverface amps are not even close to their blackface counterpart. For example.... the bassman 10 and bassman 100- these bassman's do NOT have the extra gain stage that makes the blackface (and silverface bassman 50) so f'ing awesome. And the ultralinear power supply on The bassman 70 and 135.... I wouldnt even consider that the same amp! Yes some people may like them, but its not even closely related to a blackface bassman in preamp or power amp.

Yes the silverfaces used to be awesome, youd buy one get a good tech (if you were lucky and didnt find one that wanted to "marshallize" your normal channel) to replace the caps and mod the phase inverter and bias supply. And you could have a poorly wired version of a blackface fender.

But today with the quality and price of the new 68 custom silverfaces...? That actually have circuits that are true to the original blackface fenders? i wish I would have bought up every single ultralinear fender there was for all these newbs that think a master volume fender is a great amp because it has a silverface plate. I mean I do kinda dig the ultralinear fenders with some heavy modifcations, but thats for a very unique tone. They definitely are not similar to a blackface fender... **** the blackfaces seem to have gone down in price!!!

I will never understand the gear page and market value. :drink

2. Belmont

Belmont Member

here's a thought, don't buy one.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Could it be because their now considered a antique collectible and not a commodity piece of hardware? I agree, and wish it wasn't so, but as with all older vintage objects, sometimes a personal desire to own it pushes market in a direction that it logically shouldn't go, other sellers will see that and try to follow suite. It's human nature and a lot of times, common sense doesn't go along for the ride.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Not everyone wants a blackface.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The Fleabay bassman prices are currently pretty bad for sure. I think you can still find one for $500 if you look around though. A lot of people out there "fishing" for higher prices. Don't reward them. Heck I bought a SF Pro Reverb for $610 off ebay late last year.

6. claytushaywood

claytushaywood Member

What have you all paid for master volume or ultralinear fenders in recent years? I'm curious? Or what have you paid for non master SF fenders?

Yeh I get some people want an ultralinear. I mentioned that above. But if you're in the market for a fender why would you pay more for a beatup in need of serious work and most likely new speakers silverface than the new 68 custom that is under warranty has handwired tube sockets, and a perfect cab and speakers. I am very curious for real. As someone that knows some **** about amps, I am very interested what is driving your interest.

And yeh i'm realizing now that some people are fishing for higher prices. like 'yeah mang this here's an old fender, so ya know it's goooood"

7. claytushaywood

claytushaywood Member

here's the thing- SF pro reverb could mean two entirely different amplifiers. So which model SF pro reverb did you get for $610?

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

SF Bassman 50 heads seem available in the $500 range locally.
    Why anyone would buy a vi gave tube amp off eBay is beyond me... I mean since I discovered the emporium here.

9. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Has the Blackface amp market become very weak? I can't imagine selecting any Silverface Fender amp over a Blackface if the price was the same.

I paid $1100 for a Blackface '67 Pro Reverb 10 years ago, and am trying to sell it now. I was thinking I could get $1200-$1400 for it, however the local consignment guitar shops are telling me the market stinks and I'd be lucky to get $900 for it. Once shop had just sold a Silverface '74 for the same price! Sickening.

On another note, one place wouldn't come off their 35% commission rate...a big contributer of this site whose name begins with BCR..... Considering the thousands I've spent there since 1998, I'm upset with them, and will never go back.

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The SF are still PTP wired, that alone makes them pretty roadworthy, easier to service... Being that they are now all 30+ years old, the vintage collectability kicks in, whether it's justified or not. It's aging Fender.
    The Bassman 50 heads are part of the gold standard of desirable amps. You may have to hunt a while to find a deal on one.

11. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Sadly, very few things cost what they did 8 years ago...

^ I was just being nice, but here comes the rant:

Nothing good costs what it did years ago. This means higher prices on milk, eggs, gas, insurance, education, etc., etc.

Oh gear? guitars, amps, pedals etc., etc.

Oh rock and roll lifestyle you say? Have you priced drugs, beer, strippers etc. lately?

If a rise in silverfaces get you going then i respect that. ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  12. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

35 %...wow.

They have been going up and honestly my UL pro reverb sounds great. Go to GC and see what 500 will buy you. If you use a lot of effects a SF Fender will be a great amp better than most new stuff in quality, you want to be a blues god get a tweed or BF

13. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

yeah, strippers are out of my price range these days.

14. woof*

woof* Member

Your being messed with. I sold my 66 Pro a couple months ago for 1700$

15. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

The 68 Custom series isn't "true to the original blackface fenders." Why would it be? That's what the BF r.i.'s are there for. They're not true to the 68 SF's, either, nor do they claim to be. The hint is in the word "custom."

16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Seems like people are definitely asking more. I saw a guy asking 800 for his 69 Bandmaster the other day. I mean, I LOVE my bandmaster and I want another one but that seemed way high to me.

17. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Maybe because if you read all the issues with the newer fenders they might not be any more reliable than a 40 year old one. Then there's the tone... and the fact that you will loose half your investment soon and the vintage will become worth more....

18. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

This what what we should be lamenting.

19. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

70`s fender amps are badly put together and were made on a production line, the build is rubbish mostly. hardly point to point, you were joking I`m guessing.

20. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

..about the same as BF years.
    I'd venture many of the same employees even.
    Gradual changes of course, like any big company w/a production line.

Neither era amps are pt. to pt., btw, but wired on eyelet boards.