WTF is wrong with my Tiny Terror?!!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ala02c, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ala02c

ala02c Member

Hey just got this bad boy on evilbay...plugged in and it sounded like a bad tube, very crackly inconsitent sound dropping out and zero sustain. I've played these in stores before I know this ain't how they sound.

I switched every tube and the problem persists. Its also not any cables or cabs I tried a bunch...

Am I looking at a possible transformer problem?! :(

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

It sounds like there may be a faulty solder connection. 95% of troubleshooting repairs involve reflowing solder connections. Really.

3. ala02c

ala02c Member

Hmmm, I've done basic soldering stuff and made a pedal but never worked on an amp, perhaps thats best left to a tech...unfortunately I don't know any good ones in Miami, Fl.

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

There's a VERY good guy on the east side of Orlando, but that's a bit of a drive for you. Bird Dog Bobby at (407) 579-1909.

5. ala02c

ala02c Member

Thanks but I need someone in Miami, I wonder if it would really be that hard to open this up and at least see if theres a bad solder joint?

haha famous last words right...

6. Flux

Flux Member

Have you tried disconnecting the Homeland Security circuit?

7. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

You probably wouldn't be able to see it. But a tech could probably fix it pretty easily by resoldering a lot of the joints. I can solder some things but I don't touch printed circuit boards.

One thing you could try is to get some electrical contact cleaner, pull your tubes, and spray your tube pins. I had an amp once that was cutting in and out, and that fixed it. Seems that the pins on one of the tubes were a little corroded.