Wtf the metal zone is GOOD. Impulse bought one today.

singlecutarmy

I know people have been saying that if you dial it in correctly it's a solid pedal for a long time but I didn't think it was for me. I'm a metal player but usually go towards thrash / Marshally sounds.

I was at guitar center trading in my 'marshal in a box' pedals (el rey dorado, jackhammer, tone city model M) since they're more of a soft marshall tone that I wanted, and was looking at a Boss SD-1 to boost the red channel or boost my other distortion pedal into the front of the amp.

They have that display with all the boss pedals rigged into it and I figured screw it let's see what the metal zone is like.

I'm primarily a metal tone and hard rock player, Ozzy, Metallica, Lamb of God, GNR etc. anyway.

I dialed back the level and distortion, then slowly added it into until it was thick, but it didn't get all buzzy.

Then I played with the EQ. Then slapped the SD-1 in front.

Holy cow. If you want to do some 80s shred lead type stuff, or chug, it's excellent.

itskellyo

It's not a particularly versatile pedal, but if you know what you're doing -- and it sounds like you figured it out -- you'll get some cool stuff out of the pedal. I just plugged in my Metal Zone today for the first time in a month or so to compare it against a Friedman Dirty Shirley. The Metal Zone is better at getting over the top and totally undignified shred tones. I actually find it more useful as a quasi fuzz tone and it can get thick and wooly in a way I occasionally like for lead parts. But it's definitely not a good low gain pedal and it's not particularly touch responsive, which is where I think most MIAB pedals win big time.

Out of curiosity, did you buy a regular Metal Zone or Waza Craft?

Warkli

Metal Zone is just overly used. It was the most popular metal pedal back in the days. You know what happens when something is too popular. Its sound becomes generic, and everyone starts to talk about the negative sides of it. That is what happened to MT-2 IMO.

Personally I'm not a metal player (once a listener and still have respect), so I would prefer a high gain sound little less compressed and touch sensitive. And many guitar players prefer it that way. No surprise MT-2 gone down so quickly.

It's interesting to me that MT-2 popularity is almost parallel to metal music popularity. I remember the days metal music was mainstream and everyone got an MT-2. Since the pedal got its bad reputation and the market has many different metal pedals, even the metal players use other options.

People just prefer something different nowadays. Including me. Metal zone is not a bad pedal at all.

It’s an awesome pedal, at least the Waza is.
I actually find it quite versatile, even though it does not do low gain. From mid to high gain there is very little sound it cannot touch.

JSutter

There are a couple of easy mods that make it sound way better. Removing the pre gain gyrator cap gets rid of the cocked wah sound.

Brad2

I use it as a standalone device for a high gain lead sound. I reduce the low end and turn up the gain high. Then I get that thin but creamy and clear lead sound I do like.

gavinashun

It's not a particularly versatile pedal, but if you know what you're doing -- and it sounds like you figured it out -- you'll get some cool stuff out of the pedal. I just plugged in my Metal Zone today for the first time in a month or so to compare it against a Friedman Dirty Shirley. The Metal Zone is better at getting over the top and totally undignified shred tones. I actually find it more useful as a quasi fuzz tone and it can get thick and wooly in a way I occasionally like for lead parts. But it's definitely not a good low gain pedal and it's not particularly touch responsive, which is where I think most MIAB pedals win big time.

I haven't owned a Metal Zone in 20 years but in high school, I used one in my band which was more of a jam band / fusion band. And just like you said, I recall using my Metal Zone to dial in a "thick/wooly quasi fuzz tone" ... and recall it working nicely for that.

Haven't gone back to actually buy one and try to recreate how I remember using it ... but this thread is making me curious to try, lol.

singlecutarmy

Regular one.

I already have a touch responsive metal pedal.

Cost me $35 on Amazon. Seriously it's as good as the metal zone but a bit of a different flavor of gain.

I got my first one about a month ago, liked it enough to buy the Waza version last week.
If folks spent a little more time dialing it in and less time posting about how bad it is they might be surprised with the results.
Wish they put the Waza version in their sample box.

The mod described below makes it even better:

Wish he had A/Bed a good before tone with it so I know how it actually changed instead of intentionally dialing in a bee hive.

blackbird

There must be a reason it is one of Boss’ best-selling pedals of all time. Not any other company...Boss, that has sold millions of pedals, literally.

singlecutarmy

There must be a reason it is one of Boss’ best-selling pedals of all time. Not any other company...Boss, that has sold millions of pedals, literally.
Frankly think a lot of it has to do with affordable amp makers letting the metal community down with really bad high gain models that lack saturation or compression. Most of the modelers I've played have awful bass response, they're not tight, lack sustain, or they're just pure fizz.

Even the Yamaha THR10x felt like it had no chug for me.

katana still wants volume.

Peavey vypyr was the only one I found that had it.

You really get better metal tones out of a pedal than most affordable modeling amps.

Or tube amps at bedroom level. I don't really know of any tube amps you can get good metal distortion out of that wouldn't piss off the parents of a kid just learning guitar.

Pedals are the foot in the door to metal tones, boss is the big name brand when you want something good without breaking the bank, and metal is right in the pedal name, it's kinda of a marketing slam dunk.

Abram4235

Supporting Member
I got my first one about a month ago, liked it enough to buy the Waza version last week.
If folks spent a little more time dialing it in and less time posting about how bad it is they might be surprised with the results.
Is the waza one worth it over the regular version?

deceased

I’d say it’s definitely “particularly versatile.” The EQ is insanely powerful, and the ability to sweep the mids Q is incredibly useful. It can be used as a preamp, in front of the amp, in the effects loop. It can boost an amp with fine EQ tweaking- in this context it is great with low gain. It can do most types of metal very well.

It’s an emperor has no clothes situation. Most people only rely on what everyone else has to say about it, but it seems like people don’t see it for what it is or make their own opinions. There’s a legion of people who actually now claim that Boss intended for it to be a preamp because Ola said so.

There’s a reason it’s been around for almost 30 years.

deceased

It's kind of a one-trick pony, but it does what it does really well. The hate is largely groupthink, in my opinion.
Definitely agree with the groupthink idea, but what is its one trick? It can do black, thrash, death, and even hard rock. That’s at least 4 tricks. A fifth trick could be that am radio sound some nu metal dudes use for intros and such.

Trending Topics