Wudtone - what is it, exactly?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jhawk, Feb 20, 2015.

1. jhawk

jhawk Member

I want to do a white finish on a custom ash/mahogany guitar. Wudtone really caught my eye with their Olympic Girl finish--I like how the grain is still visible. Searching around though, it seems like some haven't been able to get the finish opaque enough, especially on mahogany. Perhaps it's a lack of pigment?

I'm wondering if I could put something on the mahogany before applying Wudtone to help the opacity. I'm not exactly sure what Wudtone is, though, and what it would be compatible with.

Is it just pigment/dye in a solution?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

It's..... nice. Mine have been more the tint style to let the grain come through. You can add more coats to get a darker (or more opaque) finish. I think they say it's like a self-polymerizing mixture of various oils, pigments, and pixie dust. I'm pretty sure Wudtone STRONGLY recommends NOT putting ANYTHING on the bare wood before applying the Wudtone finish- sand to 320 and that's it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.wudtone.com/2012/03/23/finishing-diykits/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. jhawk

jhawk Member

Wow oldlefty--those are gorgeous! That first guitar gives me an idea. The top half of my guitar will be ash, and the back mahogany. Maybe I'll just do the top white and the back natural. Did you have to mask it? How did you achieve the different colors (aside from the obviously different woods)?

4. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

Hawk-thanks. The top is maple, bottom purpleheart. Clear on the purpleheart, Goldenrod on the maple. Yes, I masked using the blue painter tape. I got out my Dan Erlewine magnifying goggles and went very carefully. I wasn't sure how well it would work out, but I was very happy with the results. The Jr. is Columbian Gold, the dulcimer is clear topcoat on cherry/walnut.

5. jhawk

jhawk Member