• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

WWYD? Decommissioned OEM Fender 10"s

jaz761

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 1976 Fender Super Reverb that has been modded in various ways, has the wrong tolex on it from an ill-advised project I undertook in high school, well before the internet existed to inform me that smelly, damaged stuff was more valuable than new, clean stuff. (I recovered my super in Peavey tolex, which was all I could find at my local shop...oh well).

Anyway, I'm not planning to sell this amp, sounds great, is useful etc. During the good times, pre-Covid, I would gig it and so decided to replace the original 10s with new Jensen 10s...sounds great to me, an improvement for sure. All of the original speakers work though some cones look cracked, maybe a loose dust cap or two. These have the square magnet with the blue sticker that says Fender Special Design...black baskets. I have photos if anyone really wanted to see them.

We are likely moving and I am trying to get rid of stuff and raise some funds. I think these old speakers have some value but would I be crazy to sell them and not keep them with the amp? Any ideas what they might be worth?

zenas

Any numbers on them? Probably CTS alnicos, if so there'll be a 6 or 7 digit number starting with 137, CTS's EIA code.
Those speakers have some value but it sounds like they may need a recone and with shipping from you, then to a reconer that doesn't leave much.
I'd be interested in them but honestly would pay very much, kind of a crap shoot from the sounds of it.

jaz761

Silver Supporting Member
137-7612 on one the one I unwrapped at least. They were all working fine when I replaced them, just thought it might be good to save them the wear and tear. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t tell alnico from Al Terzy

zenas

The alnicos have a thick steel piece over the magnet assembly. It's bent over two sides and there's thin metal covers on the other two sides. Some would say it's horseshoe shaped.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The good news is that a 76 Super Reverb is not very expensive, even in original condition. But yeah, I can imagine the Peavey tolex looks a bit odd on a Fender. At least it wasn't a tweed Bassman or Bandmaster from the late 50's. Then we would be mocking you big time. :)

jaz761

Silver Supporting Member
True. I paid $110 of my hard-earned landscaping money for it in 1989 but it smelled so moldy that my parents wouldn't let me bring into the house. The new Tolex did the trick. Now 30 years later, with more period-correct Tolex widely available, it may be time for me to return some dignity to the old Super.

zenas

The tolex they sell as "Fender original" probably is a perfect match for a reissue amp. I had to recover my 1965 Twin Reverb because it'd been cut into a head at some point, then had pieces of wood put in to get back to the original size.
So I ordered up the "original" tolex and grillcloth only to have it look like a new TRRI sitting next to my other old Fenders.
So I said, "screw it" and redid it in blonde tolex with oxblood cloth since I dont have any original blonde amps.
Then they came out with a limited run of TRRIs in that color combination! :facepalm

jaz761

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 73 Princeton Reverb but it’s never in the same place as the Super. Anything would be better than the Peavey stuff. The Super had black peavey grille cloth for many years also.

zenas

Man new jensens are the bane of my speaker existence.
Bought a 66 BFSR with a set of new Jensen C10Rs. Wasn't real happy to see new Jensens, based on what I've read online about them, but the price was right. After I got the amp serviced and firing on both power tubes, I don't think I'll be changing out those Jensens anytime soon.
My favorite Twin Reverb speakers are Radio Shack Utahs, another speaker that gets no love on the internet. :)

jaz761

Silver Supporting Member
I’m very pleased with the replacement Jensens I put into my Super but went with a Ragin Cajun in my PR. Goes to show you never can tell!

Rob s

I will say in my experience, the new jensens do not record well.
I’ve tried.
I got em all broken in if anybody is looking for some.

MoBigBro

Gold Supporting Member
The modern equivalent of the original speakers: Eminence Legend 1028 alnico speakers are still available.
Even Fender Branded (for more money) if you'd like.

Cheers,
MoBigBro

Trending Topics

Top Bottom