WWYD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dpgreek, Jul 26, 2018.

1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Do you use the mini version? What are your settings?

2. dpgreek

any recommendations? Are there any other tubes 12ax7 or EL34s that may work better in this amp?

3. manimal

manimal Member

You can’t go wrong really with any of the old Westinghouse tubes for a 12AT7’s. GREAT sounding...good prices somewhat still.

As far as 12AX7’s go? And EL34’s? I think the stock Tung Sol’s sound good...electro harmonix 12ax7’s sound great in it and a little more rippin...but tend to squeal a little bit add maxed out volumes. It’s hard to say and I haven’t really felt the need to go crazy tube swapping with this amp. So, hard to say!

4. dpgreek

I snagged a 12at7 tube tonight. Gonna pop that into v1 and see what happens. Will report back.

manimal likes this.
  5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Move on. Come back later if you want.

woof* likes this.
  6. dpgreek

So I checked bw the two tubes. For giggles I used a Groove Tubes 12AT7... it lowered the gain a bit on clean vs stock tube. On the neck and middle on my LP, its cleaner...and it helped the gain on bridge. I had output to taste and clean channel (no rhthym clip pulled) set on 7. Not bad. I’ve then lowered the input gain to around 4 and turned the master up to about 6 and it still stay pretty clean on the neck in on the middle position. I think with that amp and a bridge pick up, your always going to get a little dirt no matter what. I guess this will force me to pick lighter and use guitar vol knob more

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  7. muzishun

muzishun Member

That would work but my thought was quite the opposite.

Ditch the fx and plug straight in. Work on finding the guitar volume and attack to clean it up .

dpgreek likes this.
  8. dpgreek

Im gonna go with a Helix either way, most likely big floor model.... but I tend to agree and would rather use amps clean channel.

Another caveat that I thought of was that if I were to use the four cable method and put the Marshall preamp in a loop, and then use a Helix preamp just with the amp power section... I can use the clean pre of the Helix and then use the other loop and control output for amp switching to toggle between the rhythm clipped channel of the Marshall clean channel and the lead master to give me three different channels. Like. Clean, crunch and lead. Then use boost feom Helix for a little more.

9. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

The amp can get great cleans without having to swap tubes, unless you are running higher volumes. Run it in high power mode, turn the Master all the way up, disable Lead mode, disable Rhythm Clip, lower the Input Gain as needed. Adjust EQ as needed.

If you simply need more Watts, there is a 100W version. Same Preamp. Different power section.

If you have really high output pickups or a pedal that is pushing the input hard, then you may need to back that off.

I've read that John Frusciante uses the SJ (original 100W) as a pedal platform (with a Big Muff).

dpgreek likes this.
  10. dpgreek

The cleans are pretty good, but like I said, something I'm not used to where their not super clean.

Currently, I have treble at noon, bass at 2 oclock, mids at 1 oclock, presence at 11 oclock, rhythm channel with no clip - dial at noon, and output master around 1. When I strum a medium G chord on bridge, it's a little crunchy.... So I guess, I need to drop input gain down to like 9 pm - 10...and turn up output?

11. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

For cleanest cleans on most amps, start with the gain at zero and master full up. Then increase input gain to the desired volume.

dpgreek likes this.
  12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Isn't the Jube basically a single channel amp (it has the clipper circuit which radically changes the sound but I imagine you can't manage volume and tonal changes by simply clicking things on/off)?

I myself personally find that anytime I run a single channel amp with enough gain, it's basically impossible to just roll back and get a tone I'm actually happy with.

Now, I did use a Helix to add a 'ch' to my amp and it worked (guy that bought it thought it sounded killer) but...I'm obviously a bit mental and just wasn't really very happy with the clean tone compared to what the amp could produce. Helix also dulled my amp a touch and changed the amps feel too which I wasn't enthused about TBBH for the money (I use excellent cables and have a metro loop etc). For example, a Boss GT didn't make my amp feel odd.

Maybe I was just too picky but I LOVE a good clean and just wasn't that happy with an emulated clean. I'm pondering Helix round 2 so maybe it'll be better the second time round (or I will at least learn to live with it for the sake of having a 'clean' channel). Just some food for thought.

Helix FX were generally excellent as was the use experience. Top marks for UI/UX too.

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

Yep.
    If i was looking to run really clean and dirty from the Jub, i'd be wanting 2 of them.

14. dpgreek

I got my mics set up and will do some recordings today of 12ax7 stock v1 tube vs groove tubes 12at7 and some different settings.

If I go the full floor route (which Im leaning towards) if the clean up is t what Im digging in the end, I would probably use a clean pre from helix into power section for a clean channel and then use the fx loop 4 cable to use the rhythm clip channel and lead as two more channels... one being a crunch and other lead.

15. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Exactly. The amp will get some preamp tube crunch if Input Gain is high enough. Where that threshold of compression/breakup is depends on the signal it sees (eg pickups, pedals).

I have the 2555X (the 100W RI). For cleans, I typically dial Input Gain CCW of noon with humbuckers and CW of noon with single coils. For really clean cleans, just turn the Master all the way up and set the Input Gain around 9 o'clock. Changing Input Gain modifies the tone (eg it gets more midrangey as Input Gain is increased), so you may need to tweak your TMBP controls.

That said… the amp I have, which I believe has an identical preamp to the Mini, can do absolutely stellar cleans with the stock tubes. Honestly, I think the cleans are better than the dirt. I did not expect the amp to have such nice cleans.

But yeah, the basic approach for cleans with these amps is to disable the diode clipping stages (Rhythm Clip, Lead), set the Input Gain very low and the Output Master very high.

dpgreek likes this.
  16. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Member

WWID? Sell the Mini Jube and buy an original 50w Jube combo... they’re not too hard to find and not much more expensive.

17. dpgreek

Here's an AB test on soundcloud.

Variables

Les Paul Classic with Fralin PAFs, medium output straight into Silver Jubilee Mini combo.
    Tube 1 - stock Marshall 12AX7
    Tube 2 - Groove Tubes 12AT7
    Audio Technica AT3030 condensor near grill cloth slightly off center
    Shure SM57 dynamic near grill cloth almost center of speaker
    Stock G12M Greenback

Did same chord progression using neck pick up, middle position and bridge.

First pass is all three pickup positions is with the 12AX7 and the second three is with 12AT7

Series one amp settings:

input gain 4, output master 5

Series two amp settings:

input gain 1, output master 7

Series three amp settings

input gain 6, output master 3

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  18. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Do 4cm and use one of the Helix clean amp models for your clean tones.

dpgreek likes this.