X-ray view of Germanium transistors (OC44 mullard black glass)

UncleLarry

So, that's all there is to the magic....looks a bit like a crane fly stuck on a salad fork. ;)

Cool pic tho. How did you get the x-ray?

Bobby D

very cool!

nothing magical about transistors. it's a semiconductor with three leads -- emitter, base, and collector. the current between the collector and base, is controlled by the input signal on the base (small signal level) and shows up at a much greater amplitude current between the emitter and base.

BUT.....those old germanium Mullard OC series transistors are nearly extinct. and nowadays when you can fit a MILLION or more of these devices on an IC chip the size of a pinhead.

imagine manufacturing these little devices. -- it's realy cool to see that xray of the OC44.......love those black glass models.

musicians are one of the only "cavemen" to still use old analog components like these!:bonk

but man oh man, do they sound GOOD when used well....

Axis29

So, which part has the little magic tone gnomes in it? :)

Seriously, where is the germanium? I know diddly about electrical components... just enough to get curly hair, really.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Now scrape the black paint off that OC44 and install an LED on a dimmer pot next to it so you can add light as a factor in your designs.

You can see how the "whisker's" from the base, collector and emitter are really tiny. The germanium is typically a small crystal wafer at the junction point. I wonder if an X-ray image of a true NKT-275 exists, that would be fascinating. Maybe some MOJO gnomes live there as well : )

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Lo and Behold, the purity of this thread in terms of TGP-worthiness is unparallelled. Kudos!

After 10 years of working with germanium transistors. I feel that the majority of warm sound, has a lot more to do with the fact that the germanium's tend to have a much lower gain, perhaps. While silicon transistor by the nature have much more gain. Of course gain alone is not an end all answer MANY other factor's do apply. I feel that the tone has less to do with the germanium element vs silicon. And more perhaps more to do with the fact that germanium based semiconductor's have limitations that we consider a good thing : )

VHS analog

After 10 years of working with germanium transistors. I feel that the majority of warm sound, has a lot more to do with the fact that the germanium's tend to have a much lower gain, perhaps. While silicon transistor by the nature have much more gain. Of course gain alone is not an end all answer MANY other factor's do apply. I feel that the tone has less to do with the germanium element vs silicon. And more perhaps more to do with the fact that germanium based semiconductor's have limitations that we consider a good thing : )
So then is it possible to build an authentic sounding '60s Tonebender using low gain NPN silicons and a few minor adjustments?