X2 Wireless: XDS95 vs XDS-Plus (Line 6)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vorvick, Aug 6, 2008.

1. vorvick

vorvick Member

2. Boomer

Boomer Member

I've had an XDS-Plus for about two weeks now. I've only had the opportunity to use it a rehearsals so I don't have a lot of real world experience.

It sounds as good as any cable I have and I have some good ones.

I haven't experienced and latency or dropouts and it works just as well in front of about eight pedals. It doesn't seem to have any effect on using the guitar volume control.

I can't add much more as I have such limited use right now.

I did have a problem with the original transmitter cable. Line6 sent a replacement without blinking. I am going to have Mark as Lava make a better one for me at some point.

HTH

3. vorvick

vorvick Member

Hey Boomer:

Why did you go with the plus rather than the xds95?

4. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

differences between original unit and plus
    XDS95 is battery powered, the PLUS is not.
    XDS95 has internal antenna, the PLUS has only external antenna.
    XDS95 is about the size of an MXR distortion pedal, the PLUS is just a bit bigger than an MXR flanger.

PLUS has anti-jam technology, the XDS95 does not.
    PLUS has a frequency response of 10 - 20,000 Hz, the XDS95 is 10 - 12,000 Hz.
    PLUS has a range of >200 feet, XDS95 has a range of 100 feet.
    PLUS has an aluminum chassis, the XDS95 is polycarbonate.

I don't care what anyone says, this wireless unit does not sound exactly like a cord.

5. Boomer

Boomer Member

Mostly because of the receiver's aluminum chassis and the anti-jam tech on the Plus. If it's on my pedal board and I stomp on something, I'd rather not take the chance of landing on a plastic box. Also, the XDS95 does not come with a power supply. It's not really a big deal but I would have had to buy one for my bass rig. I don't run any pedals with it so it would need the wall wart. I run it on a One Spot (for the moment) on my guitar pedal board.

Also, and this may be a large part of it, I was able to secure an artist accommodation and there wasn't a big difference in price! ;)

6. Joses

Joses Member

I've been using an XDS PLUS for the last 2-3 months or so...its been a real gem! Lovin' it, never had any problems whatsoever.

I went with the PLUS cos of the aluminium chasis - stronger, feels safer - and the anti-jam (same reasons as Boomer! haha), cos we use a fair bit of wireless technology in my church.

My only 'thing' is that it eats batteries like a I do french fries. But a little shipment from Thomas Distributing has fixed that for me! :D

7. Boomer

Boomer Member

What battery and charger did you buy?

I heard Line6 wasn't very positive in their feelings about using rechargables in the X2 line.

8. Joses

Joses Member

I picked up 2 of their 9V iPOWER Lithiums and an iPOWER charger. Works like a charm. Charging time is only 1.5 hours!

9. Tweeker

How many hours do you get out of the Lithiums?

X2 also told me not to use any rechargeable batteries - I've been reluctant to invest in a charging set up, thinking it wouldn't work very well.

10. vorvick

vorvick Member

I assume you're talking about the receiver?

Thanks,

V

11. Joses

Joses Member

I heard the same as well about X2's not liking rechargeables...but thought i'd take a gamble on these since i've heard good feedback about them and how they work on wireless mics and lapels - must say that its paid off. I'm nailing 5 hours minimum them!

12. Tweeker

Yup. The transmitter has got to be battery powered, otherwise, it ain't wireless.

13. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I bought the XDS95 when that was the only one available. I still have it and have no reason to consider the Plus for my needs. The frequency response doesn't bother me...my Vintage 30's are rated 5kHz at the top end, so the 12kHz "limitation" of the XDS95 is effectively moot. I've been keepping the receiver uner my board, so the housing material isn't an issue (even when I had it on top my board, anything crashing down on it that'd cause severe damage would damage an aluminum housing, too. The plastic/polycarbonate material is very, very strong.)

The rechargeable battery thing, according to X2 in an e-mail to me when they were not under Line 6, is that the meters just won't be accurate. That's all. I don't care about that. You will not do any damage to the units and the performance will not suffer. That's absurd. And wasteful.

Not all rechargeables are the same, though. I got two of these and I don't even bother trying to time their life anymore. I get over 6 hours easy. I just never let them run out when it matters...after a long band practice or a gig, I run one out at home practicing in the basement, throw it on the charger and swap it out for the other fully charged one. I turn the transmitter off between sets and carry the spare with me, but I've never run out yet. I've been using them for I believe just about one year now. No issues.

14. vorvick

vorvick Member

Okay, I know I'm going off topic on my own thread, but that looks like a sweet deal compared to the iPowers!

And uh, yeah any more opinions on the topic are welcome.

Thanks all,

V

15. Boomer

Boomer Member

The iPower is 500 ma while the MAHA is 300 ma.

16. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I can't believe they didn't use 2xAAs as the battery option. Two AAs have 50% more power density than a 9V battery, are way cheaper by the dozen, and are thinner too (although slightly taller/wider - but would definitely help shed a few millimeters off the thickness of the belt pack).

These days, the usual excuses for using a 9V battery just don't hold water. This is especially true for a product that chews through batteries at a great rate of knots - Line6 (and Digitech!), are you listening?? :crazy

17. vorvick

vorvick Member

Does that have an effect on price? performance (in the X2'a)?

18. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Yes, all things being equal, the 300mAH battery will only have about 2/3 the battery life of the 500mAH battery.

19. WKG

WKG Member

I have been using Accupower 270 rechargeables from thomasdistributing.com for about a year and get close to 4 hours of use. I spoke with X2 before the transition and they said rechargeables are fine but as stated earlier the meter won't be accurate due to the drop off at the end of the charge. I just picked a few 300's, probably will get another 20-30 minutes or so out of them. 500's would probably last about 5-6 hours I would think. I can't see ever buying regular 9V for this thing again.:NUTS

20. shood

shood Member

I'm pretty sold on getting an XDS-Plus. I would like to find one used, but haven't seen any pop up yet.

All the major online retailers have them @ $399, is there anywhere that they can be had new at sub-MAP pricing?