Xaviere XV-975 - tempted, but concerned about quality

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by THiwaTT, May 24, 2015.

1. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

I have been cruising around looking for a (budget) replacement hollow body for my Ibanez Artcore, and this caught my eye

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-975-Big-Body-Jazz-Guitar_c_534.html

17" archtop, 4" deep and under $400. I don't care about the roller bridge, and would prefer if it did not have it, and I also don't care about the pickups - as I don't believe that GFS "Gold Foils" will suit the type of music I play

those things being said, would this make a decent modification platform - IE install regular humbuckers, remove bigsby thing, and put on a set of flat wounds and jazz-out?

anyone here have experience with Xaviere hollowbodies? will they look/play decently?

the other one that has caught my eye is the Chicago from Glen Burton:
    http://www.amazon.com/Glen-Burton-C...words=glen+burton+chicago+ii+jazz+hollow+body

it is basically half the coset of the Xaviere, but i can't seem to find any reviews on either

thanks in advance

2. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

A few years back I had one of their XV-500 guitars. You know the old adage about you get what you pay for? I hated the thin neck and just couldn't bond with it. The neck was joined to the body at an odd angle such that the action was too high when it was playable. I just couldn't get it low enough to be comfortable without buzzing. The nut was poorly cut, and when I managed to peek inside to look at the neck joint, I swear it looked like a 1" wide strip of glue...that more resembled double-sided tape. I thought I had a picture of it somewhere. The electronics were crap. Pickups were decent. I stripped it and kept the parts. It would have cost a lot more than what it was worth to get it up to snuff.

At any rate, I learned why they were so cheap.

Their semi-hollows and hollowbodies on the other hand I have no experience with. The reviews I've seen on the semi-hollows look pretty good though. I'm of the opinion that those overseas guitar companies do a pretty good job making semi-hollows. Ibanez sure does a great job and so does Epiphone. I've had really good luck with both companies.

Honestly, if it were me I'd be looking at a known quantity on craigslist or reverb. Check out the pawnshops in your area for a known name brand and pick up a decent bargain used for the same price you'd spend on the Xaviere.

Just my $.02.

3. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

I am definitely thinking of getting a Loar (still made overseas, but a bit higher price point ~$500) but the Xaviere caught me by surprise when I saw it - rare to see a big body archtop for that cheap. Looking forward to hearing about others experience with Xaviere as well

4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

GFS hardware parts are much better quality than their wood bodies, necks, and whole guitars,
    IMO.

5. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

Some of their pickups are pretty good. I have a pair of the Mean 90s in an AS93. Very happy with that guitar.

I've bought some of their hardware as well. No complaints there.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I think that GFS offers some pretty good guitars for the money, as good as comparable Ibanez and Epiphone guitars. I wouldn't go into the purchase expecting the same as a $3k+ Gibson or the like but you'll get a decent guitar.

Chinese companies have steadily improved over the past 10-15 years to the point if they're given good specs, they'll build a good guitar. If they're given bad or penny pinching specs, they'll build that too. I've seen those Glen Burton cheapos around on Amazon and eBay and they've attracted my cheapskate attention. I've come close to snagging one but other priorities won out. The bad reviews I've seen have been related to shipping damage rather than the guitar itself.

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

If you are looking for guitar like that, seriously look at the Epiphone Swingster.
    I would expect the build quality to be a bit higher.

Elduderino73 likes this.
  8. luv

luv Member

I'd stick with ibanez or maybe look at Agile. Those Xavier's look cheap to me.

9. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

I own a Wine Red Swingster and love it. My first experience with a hollowbody. Great guitar.

10. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

I'm actually not looking for a "rockabilly" influenced guitar - the thing that drew me to that Xaviere was purely the large body size (i think the Epiphone is a 16" body ?) and the low price. My plan was to put a trapeze tailpiece on it, install some regular humbuckers, and have a dirt cheap L5-inspired thing.
    A guy on my local CL actually has a really nice older Samick L5-inspired jazz box that comes with a hard case for about the same price as this; I may have to go and check that out...

11. scott944

scott944 Member

My first thought, as well. Especially if you're looking for a mod platform. That way you can examine any potential candidate up close and feel the neck shape.

12. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

Funny you mentioned Samick, as I was going to suggest that you might give a Greg Bennett (Samick) a try. I have one of their less expensive solid body guitars, and it's actually a decent guitar. Better than some I tried at significantly higher prices. I tried an Xaviere once, won't do it again, wasn't impressed. Here's a link to a new Greg Bennett-- http://www.megasmusic.com.au/products/Greg-Bennett-Royale-Jazz-Style-Guitar.html And it would be worth checking out the L-5, Samick may just surprise you.

13. dubdub

dubdub Member

From actual experience, The Loar is better build quality than Xaviere, its on par with Ibanez build quality. Necks are way fater than Ibanez though. So it has a completely different feel. What was wrong with the Ibanez?

14. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

View attachment 1384
    I de-Rocakabilly'd the Swingster. The trapeze tailpiece made a big positive difference. I'm really happy with it.

15. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I have a Xavier solidbody. In no way is the quality the same as any of Ibanez or Epiphone guitars. You get what you pay for is so true.

16. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I have a Goldtop Xaviere 335-clone. It sounds and plays as good or better than any epiphone, samick, or other import 335 I've ever had/played.

If you like the features/price, give it a try -

17. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

I think that I will go and play a few Loars, and if I don't find one that I love, I may try the Xaviere - that Epiphone looks great by the way!