Xenforo Errors/bugs/issues

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Scott Peterson, May 18, 2015.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Just put in a fix. Please let me know if it's working because I couldn't duplicate the issue.

FYI, we moved to HTTPS because this month, some browsers will warn users about submitting any user/password info on a non-HTTPS site.

MoPho likes this.
  2. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

This may be old news but in my conversations/PMs, the date string of the posts (upper left on the bar above each post) in any of the threads show todays date.

3. Nivs

Nivs Member

I don't know where to ask for help.

Somehow my user name has changed from "Nivs" to my real name. Any chance someone can change it back?

TIA

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Looks like you were logged out and instead of logging in as Nivs, you accidentally logged in with your Facebook ID or something and it created a new account. You should lot out and log back in as Nivs.

5. Nivs

Nivs Member

Got it. Thank you.

6. spiral

spiral Member

The Amazon affiliate link / ad maker is broken. Posting an Amazon link creates an empty rectangle which I'm assuming is supposed to be an ad.

edit: as @JimmyB pointed out below it only shows blank if you are using an ad blocker.

Example:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  7. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

This is an issue for MANY of us here!

In my case, it's temporarily alleviated by temporarily turning off adblock plus in Chrome.

It's annoying as hell... with the Chrome people blaming Amazon and the Xenforo people blaming adblock plus... but it's actually an issue with Xenforo that ain't gettin' fixed any time soon... :oops:

spiral likes this.
  8. spiral

spiral Member

Oh duh. That hadn't even occurred to me—yeah that's it. Thanks. I've been getting around it by using a link shortener.

JimmyB likes this.
  9. iaresee

iaresee Member

Bug Report:

The text of the subscription-expired message takes me to a 404'ing page. Here's the alert message I get:

And the entire text message is click-able. When I click on the test message or "here" underlined text I'm taken to https://www.thegearpage.net/board/{url} - which is a 404 for me.

Chrome 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) on OS X.

Edit: looks like the URL for account renewal isn't filled out properly in the add-on for Xenforo. ;)

Ping @Scott Peterson @aleclee

spiral likes this.
  10. skinwants

skinwants Member

Quickly tested the same thing in Edge and Firefox and it doesn't give the same error. Have previously edited posts on this machine before upgrading.

I'm going to leave this open for now, but this is essentially a false positive. There isn't actually anything in the basic example that would reasonably be called an XSS. I need to create a reduced test case to be able to report the issue, but I'm not sure (and not expecting) that we can really workaround it.I'll wait to see what the Chrome developers make of the issue before taking any action.

11. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I'm running Firefox 55 on macOS Sierra 10.12.6
    After the update to 55 the other day, I can't post in the message box (I'm posting from Safari 10.1.2 right now) but I can post in the thread header box. I refreshed Firefox, it got rid of adblock, I cleared the cache and cookies and restarted. I had a moment of being able to post, and now it's gone again.
    This is happening on talkbass, too.

12. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

search tool..... why is it... if I put in a search & click the box for titles only.... I don't get results that I KNOW are there. Example, I know there are threads about the EHX Platform pedal recently. If I search "platform" and click the box for only titles. I get results (some back in 2015)... but none of the recent "platform" threads are in the list. I have to go to Google & search "EHX Platform Gearpage" to find them.

13. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

14. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

15. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

TGP is defaulting to some other version than normal for me on safari mobile.

I normally use TGP Dark non-mobile version.

First page for me is now always trending threads whereas it used to be the forum list.

16. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I have to hit the quick navigation menu button to get back to the normal version, and then navigate from there, but I now also just got a security error when trying to do so. That cleared up after retrying.

Are there known issues today?

17. redisburning

redisburning Member

Would it be possible to implement automatic image resizing? I know that just because other forum software does it doesnt mean it's trivial but it would be helpful.

People are posting huge images (usually from cell phone cameras) all over the place and not utilizing the resizing tools on their end. Perhaps this is too complicated for the userbase so maybe auto-resizing makes sense.

I do most of my browsing on my PC and even with a 27" 4k monitor it's miserable.

racecarracecar likes this.
  18. LaXu

LaXu Member

Don't know if this has been reported yet but if a thread has three digits worth of pages then the page numbers start overflowing their boxes. This is a minor CSS issue that can be fixed by removing the forced "width: 19px" rule from the .PageNav a CSS selector.

I don't know if it is intentional but this forum seems to reboot every day, causing maybe a 30 minute downtime. As an European user I notice this but for US folks this probably happens at night. I really don't see why working software would require constant rebooting like this. I am a web developer by profession.

Scott Auld likes this.
  19. LaXu

LaXu Member

I think this would be a good feature. There is no need to have photos that large on websites and I'm sure there are Xenforo plugins for handling this already.

Banning Photobucket images would also be a good idea because they constantly resolve to that "over capacity" notification where they try to get people to use a more expensive account.

20. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

While the skin designer probably didn't anticipate the number of 100+ page threads we have here, I suspect that his intent was to ensure that the single digit page numbers are still clickable. Wouldn't the change you propose make that a bit more challenging?

It's our backup window (the database is pretty large). I have a plan to eliminate the downtime but in the meantime it's better safe than sorry.