Xenforo How-To Survival Guide

Discussion in '"How To" Tips for the new Software' started by Scott Peterson, May 14, 2015.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

This is a primer and it will be useful and as time goes and more people add to it that'll help those finding the Xenforo forum platform (new TGP) different than the original VBulletin platform (old TGP) was.

The Gear Page launched in January 2002 with the flagship forum software of the day and stayed on that platform until May 2015. Some members of TGP might find the new platform a little bit confusing because some familiar items are in different places or there are new ways to do things.

Here are some quick hit things to be aware of and notice:

General
    • Searches can now use three letter terms
    • Everyone has an avatar now
    • You can copy and paste YouTube and Soundcloud URL's to embed them
    • Supporting members can upload photos to TGP

Terminology
    • Private Messages are now Conversations
    • Reply is Reply with quote of the post you click in

Feature Highlights

[​IMG]
    • UserCP on old TGP is now on the right and just hover the mouse over your name. Same with PM's (now called Conversations) and the new Alert feature
    • There is a Like feature for posts
    • Quoting and multi-quotes are enhanced. The reply button at the bottom of each post is probably going to mix a member or two up a little. On old TGP the "Quote" button did what the "Reply" button does in this software. To reply to a thread in general you need to scroll to the bottom and enter text then hit "Post Reply"
    • To add multiple quotes, simply click on each +quote on the lower right side for as many quotes as you want to add, and finally at the bottom, click 'add these quotes'
    • To instantly access to another forum or your user control panel, just click the arrow in the upper right corner.
    • Alerts in the upper right corner is a powerful tool that can be customized in your user control panel to alert you to responses to your threads, profile, posts or threads of interest.
    • Personal messages are now like threads where you can add other members and have a ongoing private conversation. Simply click on a member's name and start a conversation to message them. It's much easier on the eyes and you can edit things if you've made a mistake! To go directly to your conversations, just click the inbox in the upper right corner.
    • To go directly to your account, click your name in the upper right corner and access your settings in the column on the left tool bar.
    • The Media tab is a new section where you can post media, add an album or search other media. You can give and get response from other viewers as well. Located at the top tool bar with all the other control tabs.

Subscribing Member Benefits
    • Subscribing members of all levels will see no banner ads
    • Subscribing members have Media Gallery - the higher the level membership, the more storage is allowed
    [​IMG]

Emporiums and Bumping Your Ad
    • There's now a "bump" function to get "Back To the Top" (aka "bumping") now called "Up Thread" with a countdown clock. No limits on replies in threads but the thread will not go to the top without hitting "Up Thread" after the time has expired once every 24 hours by the OP (Original Poster)
    [​IMG]

Tips and Short Cuts From the TGP Beta Test Team
    • Members stats section, most posts, today's birthdays, newest members, most likes ... etc.
    • Media navigation, albums, shared albums, media searches.
    • You can quickly see threads that you posted in by looking at the avatar of the thread starter. You'll see your own mini avatar there.
    • You can now instantly add a picture directly from your computer!! No 3rd party hosting required! How cool is that?
    • You can customize your thread with lists, indent, code, strike through and other options.
    • You can watch threads or forums to track them with or without email notifications.
    • While typing a reply, you can quickly press TAB-SPACE and it submits your post. What it does is TAB moves the input cursor to "POST REPLY" and the SPACE just hits it for you. So hitting those in quick succession is a fast way to hit SEND.
    • CTRL-I, U, and B work from my keyboard now for italics, underline and bold. It was not working with my browser of choice on VBulletin.
    • You can highlight part of the text in a person's post and then you get an option to reply with just that text quoted. This is a great feature.
    • When you have Alerts waiting for you, you can just hover over Alerts and then open the new items in new tabs by clicking the hotlinked part of the alert with your middle mouse button.
    • The new moderator tools are awesome and you can do things with far fewer clicks and pages than it used to be. This only benefits us mods and admins but it's a great timesaver. This became evident yesterday when a spammer showed up... boom they were gone instantly.
    • The built-in functionality of the avatars and the blue dot on the thread list (you can click the avatar or the dot for more functions).
    • The Spoiler function is awesome. Try it out!
      See?
      • (@Blix pointed out that the toolbar function for Spoilers is the one next to the filmstrip icon)
    • While we're at it, the indent button indents bulleted lists, too!
      • See?
    • No more 1000-post thread size limits.
    • @stratovarius found one: if you start to reply to a thread, then leave the page and come back later, what you had typed is still there!
    • This is cool: you can click a user's location in their name box to the left, and it will let Google Maps try to figure out and show where you are.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Catch, chv and sausagefingers like this.
  2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    It's very familiar in looks and feel, I'm betting everyone will feel right at home. The refinement and improved navigation is amazing. It's like anything else new, you just have to spend some time, experiment and learn your way around. Good luck Brian and Scott with the launch! :beer

3. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

When you say "Supporting members can upload photos to TGP" Do you mean directly from your computer or only supporting member can upload pics from places like flickr or photobucket?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

This looks awesome. Psyched!

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Direct from your computer. You can select a thumbnail or full size option (which pretty much fills the page). It auto resizes, so you can grab a 4MB file and it will quickly resize and load it. Very nice feature. I imagine you'll still be able to use 3rd party hosting as well.

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I look forward to the people who won't read this and complain about the differences. :)

bloomz, Stonebandit and 65DuoSonic like this.
  7. jurfin

jurfin Member

a like button AND 3 letter searches...

good job guys!

rowla and chv like this.
  8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

How long do you think it'll take for the first "WTF Happened to TGP!?!?" thread? I'm thinking first 15 minutes.

9. svenhoek

svenhoek Supporting Member

Looks like it will be a fantastic upgrade!

10. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

EVERYONE gets an avatar!!!!

11. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I'll take the under on that.

12. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

I hope we'll still be able to hide signatures.

13. grill

grill Member

yeah, this.

i like the like button.

an avi would be cool.

14. GasMask

GasMask Member

This is something I suggested some time ago. I think this is a great idea, and will certainly produce a significant increase in the number of supporting members!

Good luck with the transition!
    I know it's a lot of work.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a neat little gimmick is to name-drop a member in your post and have them get an alert that you did so, twitter-style!

just type "@username" and that user will see an alert (the little red tile in the upper right hand corner, your new favorite place to look); they'll get directed to the post in question.

great way to invite somebody into a discussion without the bother of PM'ing them to "hey, check out this thread"; it even auto-completes for you once you start spelling the name after the "@".

16. GA20T

GA20T Member

html5, or still stuck w/ flash for youtube?

17. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

A few questions.....will stored PMs transfer over to the new software? Will our current user names and passwords also transfer over, or will we need to re-register? And finally, will our post counts transfer, or will everyone start at zero posts?

I hope everything goes without a hitch and thanks for all of the hard work!

18. Scott Peterson

Just cut and paste the URL and boom - done.
    Everything transfers. We lose nothing.

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Now I've got to spend hours thinking of one!

This is probably a stupid question but.............with the PMs moving to 'conversations' will all existing PMs in accounts be retained?

20. Scott Peterson

Yes.