XITS - X10

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by flume, Dec 23, 2009.

1. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Been stalking these for some time now, and the X10 appears to be the amp that will bring me back into EL84 territory.

Spoke to Stu at Fat Sound and did the right thing. :dude

2010 will start off right!

2. niersbach

niersbach Member

Was there today and heard it for myself...KILLER amp for sure!!

3. flume

Right on!

I'm pretty X-cited! hahoo!:bumpbump

4. goldtrek

goldtrek Supporting Member

Yep, I'm an Xits addict... owned an early Sadie, now have an X50, and will probably order an X10 because the price is rediculous and it would be nice to have another lower wattage amp. Just so hard to play anything else after playing Michael's creations.

5. bsshiver

bsshiver Member

Yup -- got mine on order with Stu. I was looking for an excuse to pick one up (mainly the fact that its small size was going to be really convenient for a backup), but after playing it a bit and hearing it with a variety of guitars I decided that the X-10 stands on its own merits!

Color me excited!

6. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

i hope to order mine in the next week or so. i might even get the x-4 over the summer. has anyone else heard the demo of the x-10 on the Xits website, Bo Ramsey just gets that amp cookin.

7. Silenmtium

Silenmtium Member

I ordered mine from Fat Sound early last week, I noticed the small review Stu did yesterday and now I'm even more excited. I ordered mine with the Alnico Blue. I cant wait to run my guitars through it. It's going to be a long time till February.

8. flume

Dig it! We're all lined up!

Let's share full tone reports upon taking delivery.

After a very thoughtful and thorough discussion with Stu about my intentions for heavy 12 string use (Hamer Eclipse with Duncan Firebird minibuckers) we landed on the X10. Initially I called about the X4 but as we talked through my band situation and the material I'm doing, the X10 emerged the better choice.

I'm banking on P90 tones to be especially happening with this amp too.

Too much fun - and Santa hasn't even lifted off yet!

9. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

why is the X10 so much cheaper than the 15 watt XITS amps?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I think the X10 is a 15 watter and there is another 15 watter which is considerably more expensive...I am very very tempted by the X10 and will probably order one from Stu at Fat Sound very soon.

has anyone heard the X10 with the Greenback AND with a Blue? any comments on the differnences? I realize that the Blue will bring it closer to the voxy sort of thing but just curious to hear any impressions on that count...

also, has anyone heard both the X4 and the X10? any thoughts on that?

Eric

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  11. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

check youtube for the x-4 demo.

12. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

I have an X4 on order, it should be here this week! All Michael's amps are tempting. I played an X50 recently and loved the power, though 15 or 30 watts is probably my next move. I can't wait to try the X4's tube tremolo.

I'm sure there are great things to come for and from Xits in the new year.

Cheers.

13. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

please let us know how you like your x10's and x4's. I've heard the youtube demo, but I'd love to hear the slightly dirty tones.

14. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Gold Supporting Member

Add me to the list of folks who want to hear more about the x10. I think it has my name written all over it. Now I just need a check with my name on it once.

15. bsshiver

bsshiver Member

My guess would be because of the fact that the X10 is in a smaller enclosure that doesn't include a lot of the fancy hardwoods and bracing that are used in the higher-end amps. Also, the circuit is rather simple, with only a single channel (instead of two), with two volume knobs, a bass knob, a treble knob, and a bright switch. This is conjecture, but it's based on a conversation I had with Stu at Fat Sound that indicated as much. Also, keep in mind that the least expensive version of this amp has a G12H30 in it instead of a Celestion Blue. This knocks the price down by another couple hundred dollars.

All in all, I guess it's fair to say that the X10 has more in common with the X4 than the other 15 watt models due to it's size and construction, and the price point, in my eyes, reflects that. I have heard that the price as it is right now is an introductory price, and is probably going up soon, for what it's worth.

It's still a hell of an amp, though, and, to me, greater than the sum of it's parts!

16. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

The X10 and X4 are turret board mounted circuits while the Sadie (X15) is completely handwired. So there is much more time and effort required to build them. The Sadie also uses more expensive and powerful transformers. That being said, the X10 is an amazing sounding and well constructed amp! And a steal at it's current price! Finally, Michael is great to deal with as well.

17. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

the x10 is also 1/2" birch. The saide is fingerjointed pine. I'm guessing, so don't quote me on this, but it looks like the x10 and x4 use the same cabinet. It's at least the same dimensions on the website.

18. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Gold Supporting Member

Another one bites the dust . . . I just reserved an X10 with Stu at Fat Sound. Yeeeeeeee-hawwwwww!!!!

19. flume

The XITS enthusiasts are growing! Right on! :)

20. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Member

Anyone got their X10 yet? Im really interested in this amp and Im looking forward to some tone reports, maybe even a couple of pics!