Xmas approaching, Montavillian or Echorec

JohnnyDoe

So Xmas is on its way (yeah sorry to remind you) and I'm getting prompts from my better half as to what I might like Santas little elves to make me ;)
I do love pedals but mostly I own drives of 1 type or another. Never really got into delays. I'm one of those sad players who never gigs (don't have the time to rehearse as much as I'd love to) So cutting through the mix isn't a major issue, textures, sounds and feel are. I don't turn over pedals, I keep too many because I love the rediscover them every now and then, it's a hobby. I don't regret buying quality, I do regret cheating out if quality is compromised. I'm not a great player I don't confess to be, I just enjoy messing about and maybe one day I can express myself through a guitar. That is my goal.

So with that I'm mind, my only experience of delays are cheaper digitals which I hate.
I've been looking at analogues like the carbon copy etc, but I love the sound of the montavillian from Nicks videos (which I know is digital).
In terms of what I play, I'm a huge Mayer fan (yes I said it) but talking Continuum and the Trio not the pop stuff, also the usual SRV, BB, Hendrix, Matt Schofield, Philip Sayce etc.
so I'm torn between the echorec and the monta.
Any advice? Thanks

leighianson

Going by the players you said your into I think the monty would probably work better as it has a nice dark analog tone that sits behind your playing beautifully. You said your into textures though which makes me think the echorec would be better as it great for pads, ambient playing etc.

Pezza

I'm looking at similar options; I think the Montavillian is favourite at the moment, but there's also the Mojo Hand FX Recoil, the Belle Epoch, SD Vapor Trail and possibly the EQD Disaster Transport Jr. I'm unlikely to be able to try them out here in the UK and it's hard comparing them from YouTube clips!

I prefer the idea of adjusting the tone of the repeats, rather than the modulation. It would be nice to go between fairly bright to dark repeats to cover different styles, which the Monta seems to do.

, textures, sounds and feel are.

To throw another wildcard into the mix, you might want to take a look at the Subdecay Anamnesis. I went on a delay buying frenzy last year and use one for "texture" and swirling ambiance/long repeats, while I use all of my other delays else for short slap-ish stuff. There's a pretty long demo on youtube.

Duncan77

Two great delays - you can't go wrong with either, it really depends on what sounds you want to create. Personally I owned both and ended up selling the Echorec and keeping the Monte, which I now use as my main delay. For my needs the Monte is hard to beat for live use and classic analog delay sounds - it is usable across it's whole range and will certainly cover the delay tones of the players that you mention. It can do longer, ambient delay tones too.

The Echorec is capable of some unique sounds, was great for jamming and making loops at home, and is just plain fun to play through, but I was never able to use it to it's full potential when it came to playing songs or with a band.

JohnnyDoe

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Yes I'm leaning towards the Montavillian myself at the moment. When I say textures i'm probably not expressing myself well. I don't generally play anything with long swells or ambient type stuff. By textures I mean anything that adds a little depth or interest to a tone and playing rather than something 'obvious' to a listener. Something that supports the tone and playing rather than IS the sound if that makes sense? Im also swayed by JustNicks video where the Monta just seemed to fit into normal playing so well as Duncan77 suggests.

The opposite of this for me are some of the clinical digital delays. Very very precise, extremely bright - not soft or lush to my ear.

I will look at the subdecay too - thanks for the suggestion.

deeohgee

By textures I mean anything that adds a little depth or interest to a tone and playing rather than something 'obvious' to a listener. Something that supports the tone and playing rather than IS the sound if that makes sense?
You need a Montavillian, you have described exactly what it does!

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
really digging, per Nick, the monte with the dispatch master - an amazing pairing for a touch of very specious verb and a couple of delays potentially going at the same time - kind of creates its own thing that might give some of the wild-card effect of dialing around on an Echorec.

tommc

Partial to the Montavillian myself. Check out YT demo by Nick Jaffe (JustNick). If you like what you hear, well, there you go. I think his demo and comments accurately describe the pedal.

Trending Topics