Xotic AC Booster & BB Pre..opinions please!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wallace, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love my RC booster and I've seen/heard the demos for these. I cant afford all three or I wouldn't be writing this. No dealers in my area for a hands-on demo.

Can the BB with lower gain settings "cover" the AC? The AC seems like it has enough gain for me ..I just dont know. Are they different amimals?Buying/trying/selling is a headache for me.

I'm using CAA OD 100 Classic /EL34s. Had the Std., Too much gain for me.

Anyone have or used both of these?

Thanks!
    Wallace

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I have both the AC and the BB. I think the BB can get pretty close on it's lower gain settings to the AC sound. I think it just gives you a smaller range to work with.

3. Wallace

Thanks for the input mav!
    Which pedal gives a smaller range to work with? The AC?.....(I think I get it, the BB has a broader range which may cover the AC)...

Which would you keep if you could only have one?

Thanks!
    Wallace

4. Wallace

Thanks! I guess the lows can be rolled back as well. I think I'm forming a conclusion....
    Wallace

5. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Yes you understood my point. Like the other poster stated with Teles and Strats, the AC can still have a little hair if you dig in even at the lowest gain setting, the BB can truly get some cleans, but it can get the AC and a more "Marshally". With my BB and setup I notice increasing gain until Noon, after that is nothing from a Gain perspective. But it does add more lows even with the bass rolled back.

Both pedals can make a strat or tele fatter. Both have a smooth/compressed gain structure, the AC just has less on Tap.

6. Wallace

Thanks again Bob! I'm leaning towards the BB at this point...

;)
    Wallace

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

"Increasing gain 'til noon" is a good way to put it, mavrick - I thought it was strange/weird/funny that the pedal did that when I first got it, but after using it for a bit it doesn't matter to me as I really dig the sounds.

8. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Agreed ! All of the gain positions sound sweet to me.

9. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I've had em all and kept the AC. It just fits into the context of the band I am with best. For some reason I like the AC better for lead tones. The notes seemed to bloom better and the tone was not so "Marshally" as the BB. The BB sounded great for crunchy chords and is more sensitive to volume knob changes but after a while the compression got to me. I finally got the OCD to fill out the crunchy chord duties. As far as the RC...a Burriss Boosiest kicked that to the curb. Amazing cause the RC is very hard to beat!!

10. Wallace

Big Bob,
    Would you describe your rig and the sound of the tones that made the AC a keeper?
    Thanks!
    Wallace

11. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

i gig with a Mesa Blue Angel 1x12. I have some good tubes and a Weber Silver Bell in it. Sometimes I use an ext. cab with a Weber Blue Dog. Teles and Strats. I like twangy yet full "Vox" inspired clean tones. Thick lead tones and very mid present crunchy chords. i like lots of detail in the mids but little or no hump...unless its a lead tone. The AC sounds great with the el84s. I run the volume at 11, the gain at 9, treble at 1-2:30, bass at 10-11...sometimes less. Its a sweet, blooming, lead tone and if I want a bit more I hit it with a clean boost in front...if I want something raunchier I go for a TS type pedal.