Xotic AC or RC booster ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

say you had a particular tone and you wanted to add a little drive and gain yet retain clarity and smoothness, which of the 2 pedals is better suited to this situation ?

remember its not a clean signal but a signal that already has drive present.

thanks for any opinions.

jimmy

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

The RC would, IMO, sound a lot better with the Hellcat. The AC throws more gain into the mix. It's a good sound, but I think you'd be better off with a clean boost that CAN add some drive than with an OD that goes from TS to more than TS. That's just considering the way the Hellcat sounded to me... which is pretty high gain for an EL84 amp.

The RC was my favorite boost until I started using the Blues Pro (which is definitely more of an OD than a boost... but it just has the sound I want). When I was running my Flexi wide open, the RC was just the ticket to throw it into modded JCM territory.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

so is the RC a cleaner boost than the AC ?

just to get that last degree of Gary Moore sustain with clarity when using my R9 would be amazing.

4. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I use my AC behind an early version Barber Burn Unit for adding volume, dirt and a touch of low end. I like this method of doing things because I get my lead boost with one pedal. Less tap dancing than adding grit with an OD before the Burn Unit and adding volume and EQ with the RC after. The AC is about the only pedal that stacks in such a way that I can do that.

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

how do those xotic pedals compare with zvex units such as superhardon or superduper, i read that they are highly rated boost units.

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

Yes.:AOK

7. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Yes, the RC is cleaner than the AC, I would have to weigh it on how much gain you want to add. To me the RC sounds best with the gain low, and the volume high, as a true clean boost. I think the tone gets a bit flubby after about 11:00 on the gain. The AC is kinda like a TS, with a less exagerated mid range, and maybe a bit more hair...

8. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, with the gain rolled back there's very little grit added, but the bass/treble controls are powerful tone shapers in their own right. The AC's got quite a bit more OD on tap and is closer to the BB preamp in output, tho' the BB doesn't have the AC's mid-boost, which is why I prefer it.

Another one you might consider is Timmy. This is an inexpensive pedal that does a *transparent* boost as well as anything I've heard. Also produces a very natural sounding overdrive when the gain's cranked. The tone controls work backwards, but unlike the EQ section of most stomps, there are NO dead spots anywhere in the pot's rotation. Outstanding little pedal that works well w/all my guits & amps.

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

cool info so far, but how do they compare with the zvex units ?

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

IMHO the RC Boost is best of breed. I stand behind that statement as a full price paying owner/user. Just my opinion.

11. erksin

erksin Member

I'd also recommend the Timmy over the AC (never owned an RC) - the Timmy has a richer tonal quality and an openness about it that the AC lacked to my ears. They are comparable in the EQ flexibility, but the Timmy was the clear winner for me...

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

The Zvex SHO sounds more like an aural enhancer type of effect, it doesn't boost in a linear fashion. I think the RC is a better match for your intended application.

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

after reading this thread, I realized that I had never tried the RC and AC in line together, so I tried it, and I gotta say I like them together more than seperately! That's saying a lot, cause I've been using these guys for about 3 years, off and on...

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

You mean the SHO?

The RC is better as a transparent clean boost, less overall gain and with the eq it's way more versatile.

The BB preamp is another good choice for getting into super saturated Moore-like tones, if you were running an amp at rhythm crunch and wanted to get into that never ending Parisienne bend.

15. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

This is an easy one, get the BB.

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Yep. I have a several good "clean boost" pedals. I gigged em all a fair amount (especially the Klon) and since I got the RC, it hasn't left the board. Don't know exactly why but it is transparent and yet adds something that makes the guitar and amp work better for me. BTW, the other pedals are nice too but the RC really works for me.

To the question. RC no-to-low gain, AC low-to-mid gain (high gain to me). RC pretty transparent, AC colors sound in a good sorta way with hair, compression and a moderate midrange nose. Sounds like between the AC and RC, the RC is closer to meeting your need.

The only caveat with the RC. Since you are already driving your amp and want to pump it up, the RC won't really provide a huge volume boost at the totally clean gain settings. If you want to push out your leads, you may not get that big solo volume boost since your amp's front end is already gained up. However you will get some more drive and gain. With the RC gained up enough to get very mild crunch with single coils, there is enough volume to pump up solos.

hunter

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Anyone ever compare the RC to the Sea Blue EQ? I'm considering which of them to buy, and have read a few threads where many put them in the same boat.

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'd concur with Timmy being more open than the AC Booster. I had an AC Booster for a while running with my AC30 and I found something about it's compression characteristics made it disappear into the mix. It was one of those pedals that I felt I had to keep turning up to be heard. The Timmy seems to have more chime and clarity for my purposes but of course this is all related to your playing situation.

The RC is another story though-I actually think I'm about to order one to use as a pure clean boost. Nice pedal with good EQ and a gain control best used to simulate a little bit of rectifier sag rather than overdrive as such.

19. drolling

drolling Member

No one will dispute the fact that RC can add a good bit of grit to your sound when cranked, but some of us hear differing amounts of distortion when pushing an SBEQ. With the gain dimed, I hear hardly any. Pushing it with an OD pedal's another story, but on it's own, I hear very, very little of what most players consider overdrive/distortion. Maybe I just haven't pushed it hard enough (..yet:) !)

SeaBlue was originally designed to smooth out piezo 'quack' on electro-acoustic rigs- which it does very well.. But there's so much more to this little guy. A very subtle, sophisticated eq/boost pedal, w/uses I haven't had the time to discover yet. If it wasn't so damn pricey, I'd love to have another one, as the one I've got's always moving from my big electric board to my tiny acoustic board. It's become an essential part of my sound..

20. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Good input, drolling. So if I understand correctly, SBEQ won't give the push of the RC, but does the RC come close in its ability to equalize, even when using piezo? Thanks! AC